Producers with hearing loss?

N

Nervouspace

Hey everyone I was just wondering if you knew of any producers or musicians that have hearing loss but continue to produce anyways...

Famous preferably, just curious about the topic. Thanks

Other than Beethoven and Evelyn Glennie?
(Stretching the definition of "producer" somewhat)

GJ

one of the bobs (clearmountain/katz/???)

doc holliday (not hip/hop/rap, but still a famous producer)

several who have no (or very little response in one ear)

Not really hearing loss, but Will.I.Am has tinnitus. He claims he can get it to go away by constantly working on music (unfortunately for us..)

tinnitus is a form of hearing loss - that ringing in the ears (which is tinnitus) is an indication that one or more frequencies have been overstimulated so that the response is constantly on in the brain - making it unable to respond or recognise any information at those frequencies

Yeah, i'm not getting that comment it either lol.

and not one person has said What?

very disappointing ;)

the whole thing was that he was suggesting that some of us should have been saying we couldn't hear the question or something similar (the wink ;) was the clue that this was humour) to which I replied Huh? as in sorry didn't quite hear that!.........

i.e. I responded to his humourous subtext with the appropriate humourous response - unfortunately the written word does not always translate the spoken intent as well as it could.......

Last edited:
the whole thing was that he was suggesting that some of us should have been saying we couldn't hear the question or something similar (the wink ;) was the clue that this was humour) to which I replied Huh? as in sorry didn't quite hear that!.........

i.e. I responded to his humourous subtext with the appropriate humourous response - unfortunately the written word does not always translate the spoken intent as well as it could.......
Haha, i was afraid you was gonna post something like that. I thought about not posting that, because i knew "maybe i took it the wrong way".

Hey thanks for the replies. I guess I've just been sorta down because my hearing isn't what it use to be as I'm now in my 20's. Oh well....such is life. For all you young producers and

those that play in bands. DONT THINK YOU NEED TO TURN UP THE VOLUME BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU CANT HEAR SOMETHING. And wear ear muffs not ear plugs....ear plugs can

damage your ears

actually properly designed acoustic limiting earplugs do work

Hearing loss due to long term exposure to high intensity sound can be offset by working in acoustically designed environments, just ask Pete Townshend of The Who

it is also important to remember that as you get older, your hearing tends to decrease in acuity - i.e. your responsiveness to low intensity sound dies off as the cilia (hairs) inside the cochlea age and harden, requiring greater stimulus for the same response as when you were much younger - this kicks in from the early 20's and becomes more pronounced as the years advance - it is why you must take care of your listening environment and not overtax your ears when performing or recording or mixing

Nervouspace,

Don't worry too much if you've got age-appropriate hearing loss; it comes for us all, especially in this business. Just take care of yourself as best as you can.

When I was a much younger man, I could stand outside of the house (in fall or winter with all doors and windows closed) and hear if the TV was on in the living room, even with the volume turned all the way down. Now, not so much.

If you really think you have a problem though, see an audiologist or an ENT doc and get it sorted out. One singer I work with is actually deaf (no jokes, please), but with hearing aids, and now cochlear implants, she sounds great and continues to rock on...

GJ

That was a great movie!
My fav part was when put the fire crackers on his head so he could try to hear.

man i can't believe pete tong has hearing problems. then again he was one of the 1st to help push house music to the masses overseas.

tinnitus is a form of hearing loss - that ringing in the ears (which is tinnitus) is an indication that one or more frequencies have been overstimulated so that the response is constantly on in the brain - making it unable to respond or recognise any information at those frequencies

that sounds absolutely horrible. i'd be crushed if i couldn't hear past certain frequencies. this is why i use earplugs when i go to places where loud music is so loud and bass heavy that your ears just feel like they're being sucked out by a plunger or something. i'm going to look to see if the ones i use are the right kind though. i want my hearing to live past me. god willing of course. hate to jump off topic but my hearing has grown exponentially since i began to produce. its a gift and a curse because i can't even listen to anything that sounds improperly mixed, distorted, or ruined over time and yet i have very rare songs that i can't purchase anywhere that i have no choice but to listen to because they are all that i have. irony. lololol

Last edited:
When I listen to some of the beats famous rappers pick... A lot of them seem to struggle with that lol

Nah, serious: I think that I suffer from that when it comes to lower frequencies. But I dont know if its that or Im just not musical enough.

Back