Most Underated Producer

Echolocation said:
I'd say Erick Sermon is way underated considering he's the one that largely popularlized sampling in the first place if I'm not mistaken.

Huh?!?!? Hip-hop production was founded on sampling. No one person made sampling popular. Samplings been the staple for hip-hop since sugar hill sang rappers delight over the Chic Joint. Its just the everyday.
I don't think e double is underated. I think everyone pretty much respects him for what he's done behind the boards about as much as for what he's contributed infornt of the mic in his lenghty career.

stoupe is a beast
i barely see his name around
crazy ass beats in the JMT albums, and everything else he works on

Arkaic said:
Kno (of CunninLynguists)
Amp Live (of Zion I)
Count Bass D

I like Zion I it's pure hiphop, but I personally feel Amp Live's production can be a little on the bland side of things so it makes all the beats sound pretty much the same at least on initial Zion I album I didn't listen to the newer stuff by them as much.

The producer that does swollen members beats is hot and underated id say I think it's rob the viking or something from battle axe records.

prokid said:
lol...all yall are right in some wayz...so there fore i will keep this into a good forum..instead of talking mess..but umm im just wondering as a producer thats starting off ...no fame yet..besides family!! ha lol..why does errbody on here not like JD for his work...is there something he's cheating. doesnt deserve credit...wut....cuz most of his stuff i havent found any problem with it...and his studio is hot..he be on product promotions...wutz good!???

also blaze ia a beast...like shaq and koby....why is kanye a.k.a koby takin spotlight?!!

Because if you look on most of his hits, you'll see names like Colin Wolf, Manuel Seal or Brian Michael Cox. there the smoke behind the mirrors. And anything with any hint of bump that's recent is NO ID

Doctrine said:
HI TEK

I saw this thread and IMMEDIATLEY checked to see if anyone would mention Hi-Tek...I think three did...Not only underrated, but I think the most ****ted on and overlooked by the industry...I think Kweli should have brought him along more...This guy I don't think has ever lacked in drum production and knows how to use texture...He can take an artist anywhere and I don't think people know that...

DJ PAUL/JUICY J

And about the DJ Paul and Juicy J stuff...I don't think many are always giving recognition because they tag them with southern production made with 808's...The abuse the 808 yes...but I tell you what, they know how to juice a sample and make that **** steam forreal...Have the haterz heard any of the older stuff that they were making on ****ty four tracks in '93-96? It's incredible, they flip samples that ALOT of those heatmakers producers would flip and have been doing it...They are a hard duo...And watching DJ Paul on the tables is sick too, cause he got a ****ed up hand, but puts a swagger with that ****...These guys are ALOT more knowledgable than even the bull**** hollywood folks give them...

STOUPE

From the oldest Jedi Mind Tricks - PsychoSocial album to the more recent demonstrations since the group has split, Stoupe has been demonstrating the power of darkness that can be harnessed in a sample...He's got beautiful production and chooses the best vocal samples and dialogues to put the mood in your ringer...The kid is sick with it...The downfall is a bit of one-sidedness...

NECRO

Talk about a guy whose image is seriously causing heads to sleep...Some don't like his voice, but play ANY Necro track to a virgin-eared hater and he'll ALWAYS at least say, "I don't really feel his flow, but that's a sick beat"...And it's true...While I like hearing the man spit, I am always willing to workout to a nice instrumental mix of his funk-drum infested, chop and groove sampled creations...More than smut and macabre, Necro is ill with the beats...

EL-P

If you haven't heard of El-P he was the cat who all the internet thought was going to seep into mainstream via MTV's embrace of the emcee/producer...Remember dude's **** on Company Flow? Sick...Just stepped it up another level a few years later going from organic to a more layered and "tampered" sound, which I ****in' dig on cause he captures the destruction of this world in music...But can still break out a NY banger whenever he wants...Can't front on the cat, though we don't always wanna hear what he has to say...

MANNY FRESH

Everyones already bigupped dude enough, and I'm glad...He's on a whole nother level and makes the best basslines...My favorite work of his is Juvenile 400 Degreez...It's not too layered, soulful, dynamic, crunk, smooth, funky...This man knows music weather you know it or not...

RZA

Not hated on by the hip hop community of the 90's but of recent and by the mainstream save for some Kill Bill rec, RZA gets no love for how sick he really is and how much of this **** cats are doing now just wouldn't be around or done quite the same...The man's sample game is tight, the man's program/composition game is tight and is the Osama of the slew of wu-tang producers he's got behind him taking his craft to each of their own ideals...I always imagine RZA just meditating above the bull**** of the game and all his underratedness...

PRINCE PAUL

De La Soul is all I need to say and that he allowed the freeformness to enter the production world to be fed to the masses...I think nowadays he's just been doing half-assed side projects because he's been forced to be one of those genuises who gets no recognition and is forced into unstable mind states due to underappreciatedness...But this guy could flip samples like no other and always comes correct on drums and percussion...He's not all goofiness either, he'll stab your heart with a touching beat no homo...

Honorable Mention:

DJ SHADOW: Isn't just the style of "entroducing" and "private press", can bang out a beat for anyone, he'll show the world soon

ANT: Finds the best samples, has improved drums and overall production since atmosphere's earlier work, but I still get tired of his redundant drum programming he so often gets entangled in...But still, he holds a strong style that many emcees can get on...

OVERRATED:

Scott Storch
Kanye

This guy is right on every single level

def on the overated **** kanye

T-Mix,Organized Noize,Rich Harrison,Chad Hamilton,Dj Quik,Kwame
HOW Y'ALL LEAVE THESE GUYS OUT CAUSE REALLY IF T-MIX CAME BACK OUT HE WOULD KILL SOME OF THESE PRODUCERS

Last edited:
chilla2 said:
u know i think just blaze is just over looked cuz kanye gets most of the credit for rocafella producers hey kanye is crazy as hell but still just blaze and 9th needs more recognition

Chilla2, I agree. Man, I like How Blaze puts it down. Man, I just heard that Kingdom Come track. Now, I'm not sure, but Blaze did produce that Kingdome Come song for Jay-Z. The Kingdom Come track contains that Rick James sample"Give It To Me Baby". Man, if Just did that track, he chopped the hell out of it.

I think Daz is the most underated Westcoast producer. He can change up his style and style have that Gangsta sound. Also E-A-Ski is also underated in my opinion whats funny both worked wit Dre so maybe he had a part in improving their sound

Salas831Rapper said:
I think Daz is the most underated Westcoast producer. He can change up his style and style have that Gangsta sound. Also E-A-Ski is also underated in my opinion whats funny both worked wit Dre so maybe he had a part in improving their sound

Id imagine working with someone like Dre would help anyone if even just on a subconcious level. It's definatly gotta be inspiring that's for damn sure it's really no wonder why Eminem got into producing shortly afterwards lol.

Doctrine said:
HI TEK

I saw this thread and IMMEDIATLEY checked to see if anyone would mention Hi-Tek...I think three did...Not only underrated, but I think the most ****ted on and overlooked by the industry...I think Kweli should have brought him along more...This guy I don't think has ever lacked in drum production and knows how to use texture...He can take an artist anywhere and I don't think people know that...

DJ PAUL/JUICY J

And about the DJ Paul and Juicy J stuff...I don't think many are always giving recognition because they tag them with southern production made with 808's...The abuse the 808 yes...but I tell you what, they know how to juice a sample and make that **** steam forreal...Have the haterz heard any of the older stuff that they were making on ****ty four tracks in '93-96? It's incredible, they flip samples that ALOT of those heatmakers producers would flip and have been doing it...They are a hard duo...And watching DJ Paul on the tables is sick too, cause he got a ****ed up hand, but puts a swagger with that ****...These guys are ALOT more knowledgable than even the bull**** hollywood folks give them...

STOUPE

From the oldest Jedi Mind Tricks - PsychoSocial album to the more recent demonstrations since the group has split, Stoupe has been demonstrating the power of darkness that can be harnessed in a sample...He's got beautiful production and chooses the best vocal samples and dialogues to put the mood in your ringer...The kid is sick with it...The downfall is a bit of one-sidedness...

NECRO

Talk about a guy whose image is seriously causing heads to sleep...Some don't like his voice, but play ANY Necro track to a virgin-eared hater and he'll ALWAYS at least say, "I don't really feel his flow, but that's a sick beat"...And it's true...While I like hearing the man spit, I am always willing to workout to a nice instrumental mix of his funk-drum infested, chop and groove sampled creations...More than smut and macabre, Necro is ill with the beats...

EL-P

If you haven't heard of El-P he was the cat who all the internet thought was going to seep into mainstream via MTV's embrace of the emcee/producer...Remember dude's **** on Company Flow? Sick...Just stepped it up another level a few years later going from organic to a more layered and "tampered" sound, which I ****in' dig on cause he captures the destruction of this world in music...But can still break out a NY banger whenever he wants...Can't front on the cat, though we don't always wanna hear what he has to say...

MANNY FRESH

Everyones already bigupped dude enough, and I'm glad...He's on a whole nother level and makes the best basslines...My favorite work of his is Juvenile 400 Degreez...It's not too layered, soulful, dynamic, crunk, smooth, funky...This man knows music weather you know it or not...

RZA

Not hated on by the hip hop community of the 90's but of recent and by the mainstream save for some Kill Bill rec, RZA gets no love for how sick he really is and how much of this **** cats are doing now just wouldn't be around or done quite the same...The man's sample game is tight, the man's program/composition game is tight and is the Osama of the slew of wu-tang producers he's got behind him taking his craft to each of their own ideals...I always imagine RZA just meditating above the bull**** of the game and all his underratedness...

PRINCE PAUL

De La Soul is all I need to say and that he allowed the freeformness to enter the production world to be fed to the masses...I think nowadays he's just been doing half-assed side projects because he's been forced to be one of those genuises who gets no recognition and is forced into unstable mind states due to underappreciatedness...But this guy could flip samples like no other and always comes correct on drums and percussion...He's not all goofiness either, he'll stab your heart with a touching beat no homo...

Honorable Mention:

DJ SHADOW: Isn't just the style of "entroducing" and "private press", can bang out a beat for anyone, he'll show the world soon

ANT: Finds the best samples, has improved drums and overall production since atmosphere's earlier work, but I still get tired of his redundant drum programming he so often gets entangled in...But still, he holds a strong style that many emcees can get on...

OVERRATED:

Scott Storch
Kanye
FOR REAL!
DJ Paul & Juicy J are some of the best Producers ever!
Cop Most Known Uknown, Most Known Hits, and Mystic Stylez, than tell me they arn't one of the best...
Also I was so shocked when I heared DJ Paul saying on "Da Summa" What they use to make beats... 4 Track Cassette!?!?!?!?!!!!

Echolocation said:
Id imagine working with someone like Dre would help anyone if even just on a subconcious level. It's definatly gotta be inspiring that's for damn sure it's really no wonder why Eminem got into producing shortly afterwards lol.

I'm pretty sure Eminem was producing before he met Dre. I think he produced alot of the tracks on the Slim Shady LP before dre even came into the picture.

Back