Most Underated Producer

Still doan know why people doan think of Dan the Automator. Not just for his beats on Dr Octagon but also the underrated Deltron 3030 album with Del the funky homosapian. Like it or not, the beats on that were friggin complex layered compositions from samples. The orchestral opener, I have heard nothing that comes close to that production. Plus he is a true producer in the sense of finding rapper, DJ, producing the beats and building a whole album. Not just making the odd looped beat.

An Stoupes been rightly mentioned, but has anyone mentioned Blockhead??? Chief Excell made some amazing beats for early Blackalicious. An people mentioned Madlib, but whatta bout Peanut Butter Wolf, even if its just for his vinyl weighs a tonne album...

I think eminem maybe...he put 50 out there and **** (nobody else has really blown up from shady) and he still makes alot of beats for g-unit

Nyckyp603 said:
I think eminem maybe...he put 50 out there and **** (nobody else has really blown up from shady) and he still makes alot of beats for g-unit

i think you need to buy/d.l some more albums outside of the interscope umbrella

These are a few others that people tend to sleep on too much....
1. Ron Browz
2.Black Milk(Dilla's protege)
3. Midi Mafia( The original Runners)
4.Denaun Porter
5.Trackamsters
6.L.E.S
7.Wyclef jean
8.DJ Thoomp
9.Q-tip
10.Mathematics

Nyckyp603 said:
You must be white........

Jibrish said:
Still doan know why people doan think of Dan the Automator. Not just for his beats on Dr Octagon but also the underrated Deltron 3030 album with Del the funky homosapian. Like it or not, the beats on that were friggin complex layered compositions from samples. The orchestral opener, I have heard nothing that comes close to that production. Plus he is a true producer in the sense of finding rapper, DJ, producing the beats and building a whole album. Not just making the odd looped beat.

An Stoupes been rightly mentioned, but has anyone mentioned Blockhead??? Chief Excell made some amazing beats for early Blackalicious. An people mentioned Madlib, but whatta bout Peanut Butter Wolf, even if its just for his vinyl weighs a tonne album...
Maybe I gotta take another listen to the Dr. Octagon and Del's albums, because to be honest, I wasn't that impressed w/the beats....Plus I bought (and later gave away) one of Handsomeboy Modeling School's CD's, again I didn't find the beats all that interesting. I expected so much more considering all the hype.

Last edited:
basixxx said:
You must be white........

And you must be non-white?

I like the fact I doan know what ethnic background people on this site are. They're just people; as it should be. Too many problems arise when people do know (ie in the real world). Thats also what I like about production. Black white who cares, if it souns dope then it is, whereas for rappers they get identified by their voice too easily and then prejudice arises.

basixxx said:
Plus I bought (and later gave away) one of Handsomeboy Modeling School's CD's, again I didn't find the beats all that interesting. I expected so much more considering all the hype.

Yeah Handsome Boy Modelling School was sht compared to Doc Oct and Deltron... Check out the opening track (after the short intro track) on Deltron 3030. The beat is far from boring an to be honest I doan think I will ever be good enough to produce such a track...

Last edited:
Jibrish said:
And you must be non-white?

I like the fact I doan know what ethnic background people on this site are. They're just people; as it should be. Too many problems arise when people do know (ie in the real world). Thats also what I like about production. Black white who cares, if it souns dope then it is, whereas for rappers they get identified by their voice too easily and then prejudice arises.

Yeah Handsome Boy Modelling School was sht compared to Doc Oct and Deltron... Check out the opening track (after the short intro track) on Deltron 3030. The beat is far from boring an to be honest I doan think I will ever be good enough to produce such a track...
I agree that our color isn't important as far as making quality anything. In my opinion, that's what Hip Hop is all about. If you have skill then you get your props, period....

The reason why I pointed out that you must be white is because you said that Em put 50 out. As though his production is was got 50 cent recognized. We all know that would be bullsh*t. Dr Dre's production/stamp of approval is what made 50 a household name.

I think Eminem is an ok producer but deep inside to be honest his sh*t kinda annoys me. Some of his beats sound a lil' too technoish for me (although I love dance music). I think he has gotten away w/lackluster tracks because 1, he's Eminem (one of the best rappers to exist) 2, he has produced for really dope Mc's who can make any beat sound good and 3, similar to Kid Rock and Limpbizkit who are pretty much so so artists (as far as Hip Hop goes) he is white so people are happy w/anything they put out. His music isn't unbearable but it definitely shouldn't be on a list w/a 9th Wonder or a Marco Polo.

As far as Dan the Automater goes, I'll check that Deltron 3030 again. It was hard the first time around (and I do respect Del as an MC) but I keep and open mind when listening.

Last edited:
alchemist and havoc son.........they bin dropping non stop bangers bt dnt get ther due props

I didn't mention Dan the Automator early in this thead? Hmmmm well I apologize if I didn't. Oh and I liked handsome boy's **** and so did alot of other people. Just opinion I guess but he's definitely one of my fav producers.

I don't think Eminem's production is underrated but people seem to like to clown on him alot. I think his style is pretty dope. It's different. He has that dark Detroit sound and has flipped some samples in creative ways. I think people are very critical because his production isn't on the same level as his lyrical ability. I wouldn't put him in any top 10's but honestly I don't think he's much worse than 9th Wonder.

I honestly don't see what's special about 9th. He's not a bad producer but his sound just isn't all that unique and the quality is lacking. That's just from what I've heard. I liked some of the tracks he did with Murs but not many. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
i say Treetown, Lokken Load, Crack City and Drama setters are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overlooked, they're ill. they're young and they're sick.

Cameron Thomas said:
I didn't mention Dan the Automator early in this thead? Hmmmm well I apologize if I didn't. Oh and I liked handsome boy's **** and so did alot of other people. Just opinion I guess but he's definitely one of my fav producers.

I don't think Eminem's production is underrated but people seem to like to clown on him alot. I think his style is pretty dope. It's different. He has that dark Detroit sound and has flipped some samples in creative ways. I think people are very critical because his production isn't on the same level as his lyrical ability. I wouldn't put him in any top 10's but honestly I don't think he's much worse than 9th Wonder.

I honestly don't see what's special about 9th. He's not a bad producer but his sound just isn't all that unique and the quality is lacking. That's just from what I've heard. I liked some of the tracks he did with Murs but not many. Just my opinion though.
To me 9th's beats have that 90's type of boom bap Hip Hop feel. I felt the same as you when I first started hearing his sh*t. But like you said, he dropped some ill beats on that MURS revenge CD. He has also done a good job w/Little Bro. Jeanuis (w/Jean Grae) had some pretty tight production as well. And what I give him the most credit for is his humility. When you read his interviews he's not bragging bout' all the stuff he's done. That's a rare quality these days.

I agree that the sound quality is a bit off, but that's I like about him. What I really dig about him is the way he flips those samples.

Opinion I guesse, but Em's no where near 9th, again, you must be white. I don't hear any type of Detroit sound in his music, I think he's amatuer. I don't think people knock him because he's such a great MC who's beats don't compare to his rhymes, I think they knock him because his beats aren't up to par.

It's like some one saying that Busta Rhymes is a good actor....no he's not, the only reason why he's on screen is because he's a great rapper. Same w/Em. His beats wouldn't recieve light of day or night if he wasn't already famous.

He's underated because he deserves to be.

basixxx said:
Opinion I guesse, but Em's no where near 9th, again, you must be white. I don't hear any type of Detroit sound in his music, I think he's amatuer. I don't think people knock him because he's such a great MC who's beats don't compare to his rhymes, I think they knock him because his beats aren't up to par.

It's like some one saying that Busta Rhymes is a good actor....no he's not, the only reason why he's on screen is because he's a great rapper. Same w/Em. His beats wouldn't recieve light of day or night if he wasn't already famous.

He's underated because he deserves to be.

Yeah I agree. All you can say positively about his beats is they are 'different' which I spose gets some credit (for not copying Dre's style badly at least), but should we give credit for wack beats? Not really. Too true, if he wasn't famous, he would not make it as a producer. To be honest, people should stick to rapping if they doan know how to make beats (never liked Inspector Decks production on the odd joint he did for Wu, compared to Rza). I spose rappers get big then think they can do anything. Eminenms time is up by now surely? 10 years on is it?

Anyway, Chief Excel from Blackalicious. NIA has dope beats for sure...

Last edited:
Jibrish said:
Yeah I agree. All you can say positively about his beats is they are 'different' which I spose gets some credit (for not copying Dre's style badly at least), but should we give credit for wack beats? Not really. Too true, if he wasn't famous, he would not make it as a producer. To be honest, people should stick to rapping if they doan know how to make beats (never liked Inspector Decks production on the odd joint he did for Wu, compared to Rza). I spose rappers get big then think they can do anything. Eminenms time is up by now surely? 10 years on is it?

I mean don't get me wrong, Em's beats are tolerable. They aren't terrible or anything. I just don't feel that he deserves to mentioned among peeps like Madlib and Oh No.

You are right though, I gotta give him props for being original and not biting Dre.

Back