Just Blaze comments on Quincy Jones' comments about Kanye

you know...

take away all the "technology"...

Kanye would be lost musically...

period...

Take away all the technology and quincy would be stuck constructing scores on one note organs and five note flutes.

Modern Instruments are some of the biggest technological achievments homie. And using technology in this argument is shallow.

Just goes to show you people will argue only for the sake of "I like this guy better than that guy" Everything else is irrelevant.

Last edited:
no one is putting words in your mouth (first off)!!!

secondly how do you know all the information that you are writing about? do you know Quincy? do you know what he knows? do you know what he uses? do you know what he had for breakfast?

about these other producers... do you know them? do you know what they had for breakfast?

i do not think so...

therefore you are guessing...

here Quincy learning the technology of the 80...

Once again you missed the point of what I am saying. I never said for a fact that Quincy doesn't use software like pro tools. I SAID IT IS MOST LIKELY HE DOES NOT USE SOFTWARE LIKE PROTOOLS OR OTHER DAWS. I hate having to use all caps but you don't seem to read what I type. And what information have I claimed to know? The only thing I've claimed to know is that not all producers use software and that a lot of older producer use hardware. As far as your video goes it shows quincy using a HARDWARE synthesizer not a plugin for a synth on the computer, but a Hardware synthesizer. He may know how to use DAW's but I'm saying it is more likely that he doesn't it.

Take away all the technology and quincy would be stuck constructing scores on one note organs and five note flutes.

Modern Instruments are some of the biggest technological achievments homie. And using technology in this argument is shallow.

Just goes to show you people will argue only for the sake of "I like this guy better than that guy" Everything else is irrelevant.

WOW!!!

from now on i will completely define what i am talking about...

when i talk about technology... i am talking about computers, DAWS, mpc... all the things Kanye uses to make music... sit Quincy down at a piano and then sit Kanye down at one... please let me define that Quincy instrument is trumpet...

no it is not the fact of liking one guy better than the other... it is about giving respects to the individuals that "truly" deserves it. it is pretty amazing what Quincy Jones is capable of doing...

you are on of those that like to qualify the music making process to make it appear that "you" are on the right track...

for you to use the word "technology" in the fashion that you did is a "clear" illustration of you "qualifing" the music making process to put yourself in a better light...

basically, all your post do!!!

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Once again you missed the point of what I am saying. I never said for a fact that Quincy doesn't use software like pro tools. I SAID IT IS MOST LIKELY HE DOES NOT USE SOFTWARE LIKE PROTOOLS OR OTHER DAWS.

the phrase "MOST LIKELY" seems like you are guessing...

As far as your video goes it shows quincy using a HARDWARE synthesizer not a plugin for a synth on the computer, but a Hardware synthesizer. He may know how to use DAW's but I'm saying it is more likely that he doesn't it.

true!!! but also learning the "latest" technology... that was the point of the video!!! go back and read your posts again and you will understand the purpose of the video...

WOW!!!

from now on i will completely define what i am talking about...

when i talk about technology... i am talking about computers, DAWS, mpc... all the things Kanye uses to make music... sit Quincy down at a piano and then sit Kanye down at one... please let me define that Quincy instrument is trumpet...

no it is not the fact of liking one guy better than the other... it is about giving respects to the individuals that "truly" deserves it. it is pretty amazing what Quincy Jones is capable of doing...

you are on of those that like to qualify the music making process to make it appear that "you" are on the right track...

for you to use the word "technology" in the fashion that you did is a "clear" illustration of you "qualifing" the music making process to put yourself in a better light...

basically, all your post do!!!

Naw my point was pretty clear. Technology is technology without it we would all be lost, or still living like the neaderthals. I was just proving that your post was shallow and your argument would have had more validity without using technology as your point.

Im not trying to put my self in a better light...lol If I could afford to learn brass or woodwinds intsruments I would play them. I love every aspect of the music making process from live horns, banging on pads, hell if you make a dope beat using pots and pans Id love it.

You shouldn't make assumptions unless you truely know what your talking about. Or better yet who your talking about.

Last edited:
^^^ If I'm not claiming it is fact that means that I'm guessing. And another point there is still hardware technology being released. Software has yet to replace Hardware. Ask local producers in your area what they use. If you find some older producers they still might be using equipment from 10 15 or 20 years ago because they're set in their ways and have seen no need to upgrade what they have.

That's what I've been getting at. To me Quincy would most likely fall into the latter category. Once again a guess. Since I seem to have to spell things out for you.

Naw my point was pretty clear. Technology is technology without it we would all be lost, or still living like the neaderthals. I was just proving that your post was shallow and your argument would have had more validity using technology in your point.

if it was not for a mpc, cubase, reason, logic, etc most of you guys would not be making music... that is my point... again... if it was not for a mpc, cubase, reason, logic, etc most of you guys would not be making music... that is the "technology" i am talking about. you can bend it anyways you want too... but not for the current technology you would only be a music consumer... i went to your soundclick page... do you use two hands when creating a keyboard part... it seems like a one-finger melody to me... how much skill is that? i could tell my nephew to just play the white keys and come up basically the same thing i heard...

Im not trying to put my self in a better light...lol If I could afford to learn brass or woodwinds intsruments I would play them.

sound like a cop out... there are allot of self taught musicians... but that takes practice... something that you seem that you do not want to do because you feel you need to be able to "afford to learn"...

sit down and practice Cmaj scale with both hands, for two octave at 125 bpm... try doing that everyday for 15 minutes a day... i bet you do not have the discipline to do that... technology has made it so that "you" want to be producer thinks that they are talented with basically no talent...

I love every aspect of the music making process from live horns, banging on pads, hell if you make a dope beat using pots and pans Id love it.

my mom is the same way... but she cant clap on beat... what is your point?

You shouldn't make assumptions unless you truely know what your talking about. Or better yet who your talking about.

what is funny is i do know what i am talking about and who i am talking too...

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

^^^ If I'm not claiming it is fact that means that I'm guessing. And another point there is still hardware technology being released. Software has yet to replace Hardware. Ask local producers in your area what they use. If you find some older producers they still might be using equipment from 10 15 or 20 years ago because they're set in their ways and have seen no need to upgrade what they have.

That's what I've been getting at. To me Quincy would most likely fall into the latter category. Once again a guess. Since I seem to have to spell things out for you.

right...

a guess...

you do not have a clue on what Quincy uses...

why do you not think Quincy uses scoring software?

i do not know either...

if it was not for a mpc, cubase, reason, logic, etc most of you guys would not be making music... that is my point... again... if it was not for a mpc, cubase, reason, logic, etc most of you guys would not be making music... that is the "technology" i am talking about. you can bend it anyways you want too... but not for the current technology you would only be a music consumer... i went to your soundclick page... do you use two hands when creating a keyboard part... it seems like a one-finger melody to me... how much skill is that? i could tell my nephew to just play the white keys and come up basically the same thing i heard...

sound like a cop out... there are allot of self taught musicians... but that takes practice... something that you seem that you do not want to do because you feel you need to be able to "afford to learn"...

sit down and practice Cmaj scale with both hands, for two octave at 125 bpm... try doing that everyday for 15 minutes a day... i bet you do not have the discipline to do that... technology has made it so that "you" want to be producer thinks that they are talented with basically no talent...

my mom is the same way... but she cant clap on beat... what is your point?

what is funny is i do know what i am talking about and who i am talking too...

Actually most of the stuff on the first page of my soundclick was produced using chord in 7th and 9ths, if you really listend then you would know that on a couple tracks i dabbled with suspended and augmented chords. That takes two hands..lol Oh yeah I play piano pretty well I aint no stevie but I could do my thing on the keys.

You dont see the ignorance in your post. Yeah without cubase reason etc. Me and alot of others on here probably wouldn't be making music, but if it wasn't for the craftmans who invented modern instruments quincy along with alot of other famous musicians probably wouldn't be making music either.

You cant use technology in one preface and not expect it to be relevant to another.

I said if I could afford to learn how to play A BRASS INSTRUMENT I would. Im sorry but you can read a million pieces of sheet music a day if you dont actually own the instrument its not going to do you any good.

What is the relevance in you breaking down my post? Seems like a waist of time and alot of assumptions on your part about me...lol..this thread is about Just blazes comments on Quincy's comments, not about my knowledge of music theoretically.

I get what kahliljn is saying. If there were no advancements in technology we would all be stuck at banging on drums and stuff and just singing pretty much. Technology isn't just computers and electronics it's drawing on the things you have around you to make something new. So if some guy didn't figure out how to direct air through valves and control the frequencies using buttons then Quincy wouldn't have a trumpet. If some guy didn't decide to use hammers to bang on a string instead of plucking then I wouldn't have a piano to play.

@ neverenoughfunk The reason why I don't think Quincy doesn't use software is because at the music department in my university a lot of the professors here don't use software and don't even bother to learn how to use it.

LOL. JB & Kanye are just "beatmakers"?? GTFOH. The term beatmaker is becoming one of the most over(mis)used terms right up there w/ hater. JB & Kanye both have video documented proof of them producing records.

JB was dead on w/ his assessment although i'll agree that it takes way more skill and dedication to do what Quincy does/did.

How do you define "beatmaker"? And I didn't say "just" beatmakers, as your implying that I'm somehow trying to discredit beatmakers. To me a "beatmaker" is one that uses samples of live music to make productions, as opposed to conducting their own musicians to make productions.

Thats the difference, to me at least, and the amount of skill and work involved bewteen the two is not even comparable. That is why I say you cant compare any beatmaker to any producer. Even the best beatmakers like Kanye and JB are not even close to the best producers like Quincy, in terms of what it takes to produce a record from scratch vs a sampled-based production. And I'm pretty sure thats what Quincy was getting at.

And I'm not discrediting the talent, skill, and hard work it takes to be a beatmaker, because it does require a lot of all the above, but its not near the level of producing/writing a song from scratch, and conducting and mixing a whole orchestra. I'm sorry, its just not.

I've made beats and I've produced and written songs from scratch, and its clearly more work to make a song from scratch than from samples. Just the fact that a sample becomes one less instrument that you have to record is proof in itself that it is more work and takes more skill to make a song from scratch. Even if I take just 1 piano part from a sample and build a song from it, with all other parts being original, thats still less work, than if I had to record that piano part as well as the rest of the material.

And I'm not saying Kanye or Just Blaze haven't produced records from scratch either, but to compare those few records and their quality to the quality of what Quincy Jones has done is almost a joke.

I get what kahliljn is saying. If there were no advancements in technology we would all be stuck at banging on drums and stuff and just singing pretty much. Technology isn't just computers and electronics it's drawing on the things you have around you to make something new. So if some guy didn't figure out how to direct air through valves and control the frequencies using buttons then Quincy wouldn't have a trumpet. If some guy didn't decide to use hammers to bang on a string instead of plucking then I wouldn't have a piano to play.

exactly dude is only using one spectrum of music technology from the last 20 years to make his point, and excluding the other 40,000 years as if it holds no weight to the overall argument...lol

Then he just goes on to make a bunch of illogical assumptions about me and we've never met or graced the same ground..Dude is silly and ignorant if you ask me.

Atleast your assumptions make since, why would quincy feel the need to learn or use hardware or software when hes already made history using the fundamental elements of music composition? If I can make lasagna from scratch and thats what people love from me why would i switch it up and start serving them Marrie Callinders?

Last edited:
What is the relevance in you breaking down my post? Seems like a waist of time and alot of assumptions on your part about me...lol..this thread is about Just blazes comments on Quincy's comments, not about my knowledge of music theoretically.

the relevance is that you "quoted" me and left this response..

took what i wrote and took it out of context...

@ neverenoughfunk The reason why I don't think Quincy doesn't use software is because at the music department in my university a lot of the professors here don't use software and don't even bother to learn how to use it.

at the music college i graduated from (Berklee school of music) "almost" everyone uses software...

p.s. Quincy Jones when to Berklee too...

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Yeah because you made ASSUMPTIONS about me that were wrong. Its not unusual for someone to feel the need to correct you when you do that.

my man...

go back and read the sequences of the posts...

you commented on my post first...

get the "facts" straight at least!!!

thank you!!!

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

my man...

go back and read the sequences of the posts...

you commented on my post first...

get the "facts" straight at least!!!

thank you!!!

Maybe you need to understand the difference between a response and an assumption. I commented on your post first .

Then you went on a may lay attacking my lack of musical knowledge and how I enjoy music being made.

If Im not mistaking you've never seen me make music and Ive never told you if I like live instruments or Hardware software etc....So your comments were pure assumptions based on pure ignorance

^^^ Once again almost everyone. and quincy attended Berkley during the 50's before this onset of music software and he dropped out anyway. The fact that people use it in college especially students is irrelevant to this argument because I bet you were required to use software at Berkley correct?

If Im not mistaking you've never seen me make music and Ive never told you if I like live instruments or Hardware software etc....So your comments were pure assumptions based on pure ignorance

there are no assumption here...

my "ear" told me the whole story...

just because i do not agree with you does not my assumptions "pure ignorance"...

my "ear" does not lie...

simple as that!!!

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

^^^ Once again almost everyone. and quincy attended Berkley during the 50's before this onset of music software and he dropped out anyway. The fact that people use it in college especially students is irrelevant to this argument because I bet you were required to use software at Berkley correct?

you have gone on sooooooooooooo many tangents i do not know what angle you are coming from anymore...

you are correct...

if you want to be!!!

ok?

Last edited:
Back