Just Blaze comments on Quincy Jones' comments about Kanye

and what does that have to do with anything?
its not about what either of them are using
its the impact that we're racing towards.
i dont care if he made records with a toothpick scratching a piece of paper for a hi hat. its the impact that makes a great producer.

wtf are you talking about? We're not talking about their impact as producers. Everyone on here is talking about their "skill sets" as producers, hence comparing arrangement for orchestra vs. cutting up records & Pro Tools

I don't consider them as just beatmakers either...But that's because I'm not sitting around comparing today's producers to yesterdays. Comparitively...yes, KW is pretty much just a beatmaker compared to Quincy Jones.

Now that i agree with. Quincy is a producer in the upmost traditional sense. Ye may not know all the terminology or how to play an instrument, but he steers the creation of music from start to finish & that indeed is PRODUCTION.

Both producers in their own right from two totally different generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are producers no doubt.

But:
#1. Kanye hasn't achieved what quincy has achieved

#2. Quincy has the musical skills to use ANY instrument(including MPC's & whatever DAW) to make music. (I mean how long does it take to learn how to use one of these things?? LOL)

#3. Kanye is a good producer, but he's not at the level of Quincy. Period!

wtf are you talking about? We're not talking about their impact as producers. Everyone on here is talking about their "skill sets" as producers, hence comparing arrangement for orchestra vs. cutting up records & Pro Tools

That's what the original problem was about. When the guy asked Quincy the question he meant He meant did he think that Kanye was similar to Quincy in that a lot of people wanted to work with him, look it up to see what I mean.

Quincy Jones produced some really good records before.

Kanye West produced some really good records before.

End of story.

Both are producers no doubt.

But:
#1. Kanye hasn't achieved what quincy has achieved

#2. Quincy has the musical skills to use ANY instrument(including MPC's & whatever DAW) to make music. (I mean how long does it take to learn how to use one of these things?? LOL)

#3. Kanye is a good producer, but he's not at the level of Quincy. Period!

Dude come off of the Quincy pedestal, I seriously doubt Quincy knows how to use a DAW or a MPC. He'd have someone do it for him. And anyone on Future Producers can tell you that the more complex DAW's like Protools, Logic and Live Studio can take a while to learn. Another reason I doubt that he knows how to use it is because he was making music before these things were even around.

No I dont agree with with JB. And I'm pretty sure Quincy Jones knows how to use a drum machine and a DAW, smh.

To even suggest that knowing how to use those pieces of equipment require anywhere near the skill of conducting an orchestra is laughable.

JB should've kept quiet because he's in the same boat as Kanye as far as what Quincy said, except Blaze isn't even a rapper. They are both "beatmakers", and shouldn't even be in the discussion with Quincy in terms of producers. Guys like Dre, Quik, Timbaland, and Battlecat are some of the few real producers in hip hop. If any hip hop producers should be compared to Quincy, talent-wise, it should be those guys, but only Dre and Timbaland are really anywhere near Quincy's level, imo, as far as overall talent, skill, breaking artists, and record sales.

+1:victory:

Quincy Jones produced some really good records before.

Kanye West produced some really good records before.

End of story.

sure...

plus Quincy, scored tv and movie sound tracks... played in the bands of the "greatest" band leaders of all times... career spans more than 50 years... and the list goes on...

but you cant compare the musical talents...

again you cant knock Kanye West but he is no Quincy Jones...

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Dude come off of the Quincy pedestal, I seriously doubt Quincy knows how to use a DAW or a MPC. He'd have someone do it for him. And anyone on Future Producers can tell you that the more complex DAW's like Protools, Logic and Live Studio can take a while to learn. Another reason I doubt that he knows how to use it is because he was making music before these things were even around.

do you know how to use a mpc or DAW?

are you saying Quincy Jones could not learn "if" he does not know how?

please?

your statement is just like saying "you" could not learn to play a Cmaj scale with both hands, for two octave at 125 bpm...

I bet whoever did that interview is loving life right now...set the industry on fire.

Noone was saying this in the first place.

The interview guy clearly said Kanye was similar to Quincy in that a lot of people wanted to work with him.

Quincy took it the wrong way.

Just blaze's statement was unnecessary, he wasn't even involved.

Noone was saying this in the first place.

The interview guy clearly said Kanye was similar to Quincy in that a lot of people wanted to work with him.

Quincy took it the wrong way.

Just blaze's statement was unnecessary, he wasn't even involved.

i am...

and i think i am "someone"...

sure...

plus Quincy, scored tv and movie sound tracks... played in the bands of the "greatest" band leaders of all times... career spans more than 50 years... and the list goes on...

but you cant compare the musical talents...

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

do you know how to use a mpc or DAW?

are you saying Quincy Jones could not learn "if" he does not know how?

please?

your statement is just like saying "you" could not learn to play a Cmaj scale with both hands, for two octave at 125 bpm...

Putting words in my mouth man, I just said Quincy most likely doesn't know how to use those things not that he couldn't learn, but ask yourself this why would he learn? He made music before then why would he change his way of doing it?

Putting words in my mouth man, I just said Quincy most likely doesn't know how to use those things not that he couldn't learn, but ask yourself this why would he learn? He made music before then why would he change his way of doing it?

my man...

i do not know what to say... but look at the big picture...

if Quincy Jones has been making music for 50 years how much technology do you think he has gone thru?

so are you saying he is using the same technology from the 50s today?

he has seen music go from vinyl (78, 33, 45) to cassettes to cds to mp3. from am radio to fm radio to sirus...

before commenting... learn and understand the history behind music...

my man...

i do not know what to say... but look at the big picture...

if Quincy Jones has been making music for 50 years how much technology do you think he has gone thru?

so are you saying he is using the same technology from the 50s today?

he has seen music go from vinyl (78, 33, 45) to cassettes to cds to mp3. from am radio to fm radio to sirus...

before commenting... learn and understand the history behind music...

I know the history behind music. I have a tremendous respect for Quincy Jones and in no way am I calling him stupid or anything like that. But think about it like this. There are a lot and I mean a lot of producers and engineers who don't even like music software let alone use it. You still have the old Software vs Hardware debate going on too. There are current Hip hop and R&B producers who don't even use software just hardware. Now think about this. Why would a man who has used hardware for most of his musical career to produce music switch over to software? I'm not saying he hasn't but it is more likely he doesn't than does because he didn't need it then and he doesn't need it now. And quit putting words in my mouth I never said he is using the same equipment from 50 years ago.

Btw FM and AM Radio pre-dates Quincy

Last edited:
I know the history behind music. I have a tremendous respect for Quincy Jones and in no way am I calling him stupid or anything like that. But think about it like this. There are a lot and I mean a lot of producers and engineers who don't even like music software let alone use it. You still have the old Software vs Hardware debate going on too. There are current Hip hop and R&B producers who don't even use software just hardware. Now think about this. Why would a man who has used hardware for most of his musical career to produce music switch over to software? I'm not saying he hasn't but it is more likely he doesn't than does because he didn't need it then and he doesn't need it now. And quit putting words in my mouth I never said he is using the same equipment from 50 years ago.

Btw FM and AM Radio pre-dates Quincy

no one is putting words in your mouth (first off)!!!

secondly how do you know all the information that you are writing about? do you know Quincy? do you know what he knows? do you know what he uses? do you know what he had for breakfast?

about these other producers... do you know them? do you know what they had for breakfast?

i do not think so...

therefore you are guessing...

here Quincy learning the technology of the 80...

Problem is, I don't think people can truly appreciate Quincy's skill set, because they don't know what goes into making the music that he has made.

They don't know what it takes to WRITE (with pencil and paper) movements and arrangements for a 70 piece orchestra. They don't know what it takes to write arrangements for a 100 person choir, with 8 sections. They don't know what it takes to coach a vocalist in the studio, to coach musicians, etc...

Because they've never done it. So they can't really appreciate something that they've never done. When their ears hear music like Sinatra's Fly Me To The Moon, or when they hear MJ's Ease On Down The Road, or hear something like Soul Bossa Nova (Austin Powers), their ears don't fully comprehend everything that's going on, because they've never had to do it.

So they can't appreciate what Quincy does, and the level of MASTERY that goes into his music.

But they understand what Kanye does. They understand how to sample a 4 bar part of a song, loop it, and add a kick, snare, hat and bassline, and maybe a synth or 2. They understand that, because they've done it before. They have an appreciation for that, because they can can wrap their minds around it.

But this?? They can't appreciate what goes into it...

Once someone has the insight and the experience into what goes into something like this, they get an inkling of an understanding of what goes into this music.

Yes, Kanye can sample this. But he can't sit at a dining room table, with a pen and a pencil, and create this, hand it to a band, that's never seen it before, and conduct them, and have this mastery come out.

When you understand this...you don't even have to question what Q said. You just agree.

Back