Ipad for music??

What do you think of the ipad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

901_Rice_Street

Rice AKA Clyde Drexler
This is really not about the ipad 2 in particular, but the ipad 3, 4,5,6. I've been watching namm videos and it appears to be a lot of docked equipment for the ipad 2. I'm fascinated. No doubt I'm getting an ipad. I want one now, but ipad 3 may have the ability to do what I really want. Maybe a Reason 3 version for the ipad? IDK. But the things the ipad 2 is capable of is incredible to me. Just don't think it's there yet. Feels like new software and you will have to keep upgrading (spending) money on the new ones to get the technology from other products that you want.

Question? Do you think the ipad or other products like it are the future or is it a fad soon to fade away in 3 years as far as music production?

i think itll be cool for awhile but fade away shortly after that.. i really have a hard time seeing something like that lasting for more than a year or so... but idk thats my .02

i dont think an ipad dedicated to serious musicians would work, but i think make an ipad for people to have fun with music, the T-pain effect/app, the lil piano, music related games like Dance Dance Revolution and things like that, guitar hero would be dope

Though I'm not greatly fascinated by these products, the thought of what is possible for the future of product created around the ipad has me like wow. I can imagine the great possibilities of pulling out the ipad from one dock and sliding it in another. It's like some big cartridge compatible with a lot of devices instead of one device with plenty of cartridges.

The only problem I see is me having an ipad 2, and then Akai comes out with this bad ass mpc dock with audio outs, midi outs, and great software.......FOR THE IPAD 3. :cry:

I see my self in 2014 with 3 ipads. One for synths, one for drums/samples, and one as a DAW. Everything on a bad ass dock. Everything connected and synced wirelessly. No desktop, no laptop. Just throwing files at a large monitor screen that is wirelessly connected to my DAW Ipad. So I made a drum loop......swoosh.......throw it at my DAW. I made a bassline, chords, ect........swoosh......now it's on my DAW. My DAW ipad is on a monster dock with 48 touchscreen faders, great quality pres, eqs, compressors, gate, ect....by SSL.

Companies like Eastwest selling their sounds in like a small storage whatever whatever to use on the ipad. Midi keyboards with slots to load samples. Who knows, after this year there might be a special ipad version for musicians.

Maybe. lol.

Last edited:
I see it lasting..but I wait to see 3 to 5 years from now for more powerful Ipad..isn't the harddrive really small in size right...
the price would need to come down alot for a person to consider buying a Ipad ...as oppose to a super fast,thin & light weight laptop with 1tb of harddrive space and the ability to do alot more

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

this will be a better option at the present moment
dell netbook - Walmart.com

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Black Asus 10.1" Eee Seashell Netbook Computer - Walmart.com

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

I'm probably going to buy the dell netbook for my wife here next month and grab me up another laptop that thin and fast too
$1,000 to $1,300 total for both

Any true musician could make an incredible album on an iPad. People have made platinum records with much less.

the price would need to come down alot for a person to consider buying a Ipad ...as oppose to a super fast,thin & light weight laptop with 1tb of harddrive space and the ability to do alot more

Right now....of course. But those docks are going to get better and better. Plus, Ipad is like $600..........and there is stuff like this...
SynthStation49 Keyboard Controller for iPhone and iPod touch

No cables. I'm not interested in the synthstation49 though. Waiting on something sexy and better software. But these docks are costing less than most VST instruments.

Right now....of course. But those docks are going to get better and better. Plus, Ipad is like $600..........and there is stuff like this...
SynthStation49 Keyboard Controller for iPhone and iPod touch

No cables. I'm not interested in the synthstation49 though. Waiting on something sexy and better software. But these docks are costing less than most VST instruments.

Yeah exactly I can't wait to see what other ppl companies that make Ipad touch type of product offers...as more are on the market price will come down and the techn. will just get better

Between the Synthstation, FL Studio Mobile, and Apogee's Mic for recording... if you can't make good music on that you can't make it on anything.

The Gorillaz made a whole album just on an iPad and that was before many of the cool new apps and accessories came out.

Checkout these apps for your DAW:
1.beatpad (drum machine)
2. IDisplay (Turns iPad into an extra screen monitor. Touch control your VI's!)
3. V control ( midi mixer control )

Yep! IPad is a nice asset in your studio.

Audio quality?
Dexterity?
Varied SW?
Locked in to an OS (again!)?

No thank you - rather work with stuff that can be moved about without worrying about proprietary formats and OS.....

The same can be said about many plug ins and DAWs like Logic and FL. I look at them as tools that will grow. The more technology moves with bigger processors and more RAM you will start to see the iPad used as a real tool for music more and more.

Hey what about that Alesis Dock, is that any good? I see very little by way of support and expandability with it. However I could be wrong and would like to hear if you have used it and like it?

I personally haven't used it but many of our customers seem to be happy with it. We do have our own accessories that can do what the io Dock does, though not in a dock form. You can buy iRig, iRig MIDI, iRig Mic or our other accessories as you need them even letting you DJ with your iOS devices with iRig MIX. We even have our iKlip series to hold your iPad or iPhone on Stage or in the Studio.

I have my ipad and iphone paired with my imac, they can be useful, but no more than any other wireless bluetooth controller. Not to mention you don't wanna leave them sitting around in a studio environment to get sat on.

They are starting to replace our old racks of yesteryear. More ram, HD space and more processing power. Not to mention fully expandable for a LOT cheaper than the expansions you'd buy for an EMU rack back in the day.

Back