How long does it usually take you to make a beat?

I get the basic structure and instrumentation down in about an hour. After that I take my time arranging, adding change ups, doing a bridge etc.

I'll usually start on another project then come back to the first one the next day. Gives me a fresh take on it.

I always start a beat and then start a next one and then come back add more but never completely finish it until somebody wants to use it. Then I add finishing touches and then I mix it.

There's also days where I'll be in the studio with people and they want me to bang out a beat right there for them so I've done some in less than an hour mixed and everything but I never really feel its finished. So even after they drop verses or sing over it, I'll go back and add some more stuff.

Then again sometimes less is more.

When the inspiration hits me, I just go! My latest track "Heaven and Hell" took me a hour to make.

But once I get an artist on it I will mix it to fit their vocals.

It depends, but usually it takes me at least a few hours. I don't like to rush, I prefer to take my time and try to achieve what I hear in my head. Cats kill me on youtube with the 5 min beat vids. I have seen a couple good ones, but they generally sound.....like they were made in 5 min:p

Sometimes I get the beat done 30 minutes or so (just drum tracks). I then spend hours adding instuments and sounds/ effects. I then spend time arranging. I will then add everything to the mixer. I get a rough mix then usually come back the next day and clean it up as best possible. Still working on mixing though. I spend a lot of time initially when I'm adding instruments adjusting levels. I think sometimes I'm doing double work and have a tendency to have the mix too hot to were I get crackling and popping when burning to a CD. So I've been putting a lot of effort into that problem. Overall time can be 8hrs plus of off and on work over the course of days. Burning CD's, play it in the house and car listening for anything that I feel needs changed or deleted completely. I go through CD's like crazy but buy them 100 at a time so not that big a deal.

When I'm in the studio w/ people making on the spot tracks I take about an hour to get the meat going and another to finesse it out...I track it out and bring it to protools to mix with the vocals...

At home I'm more critical, I don't like spending more than 2 hours on a beat, I feel like part of the greatness is hearing the potential in every sound rather than spending all day making one perfect...I like this shit to go...I feel like if you are great then great music comes out...I have a method of creation that is kind of mixing while you go as well...Learning to spend less time tweaking and more time creating is what I strive for now.

Takes me about 30 mins to an hour to put it together... then I gotta level it out and do the effects... so anywhere from 1 hour to 1 and half hours

If I don't need my guitarist to do bass or some riffs, it's 3-4 hours composing + 1-2 hours mixing mastering.

If the beat isn't finished after 5-6 hours, it is probably never will because I don't like it enough.

Half an hour.

But I don't think it's really enough. I settle for sounds that I didn't picture to begin with. I'ma start taking a lot more time to achieve the sound I pictured to begin with.

I think the lenghthiest process should be sound selection.

If it takes you'll hours upon hours to lay melodies and chord progressions something is wrong.

8 hours, treat it like a job.......
Ditto. Before when i first started i would usually take like about 1 or 2 hours making a beat without mixing. Know i take my time and just try to get everything as right as possible or just try to get it the way i want it. Sometimes i wanna make so many beats in one day so it does kinda kill your drive when your making a beat for 7+ hours but it's also worth it if it comes out the way you want it plus more. Luck plays a big part i guess, just when you think you added everything you can then there's something else you add that fits good with the said beat. Mixing is hard tho, that takes time.

I think the lenghthiest process should be sound selection.

If it takes you'll hours upon hours to lay melodies and chord progressions something is wrong.

Not at all my good man. Most people who take time to make their melodies and chord progressions do it because they want it perfect. I think something is wrong if a melody and progression happens too quickly

with me it varies. ive spent 50 minutes or less on a Bangin beat and will turn around and spend hours on something that i throw away the next day. The best advice is just make the music and loose track of time, there is no standard limit on making music, nor is there a deadline for a project to be finished.

Back