Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Now Cost Baauer and His Label Dea

But first.........he must prove to the world that 32 oz of water is worth every bit of $5.

actually......I'm thinking of getting into the water business. Just now thought about it. time for me to make my first million......straight from the kitchen....with that work!!! If it look good, it is good.

Thanks Diddy!

diddy_drink.gif

Last edited:
See, that's what I am talking about, crooks... soon they are going to sell you air bottles (wanna breathe that good Cali air mainz ? put a bit of cali girls fragrance in it, come on, have a sneeze for yourself) or even your own property.
lol.
And then you have people talking about making music or movies for the sake of it and hoping to get rich off it... the so called journeyman.
Nah, I'm gonna sell you overpriced alcohol so you can get really dehydrated and then I will sell you overpriced water to get you hydrated. Head I win, tail you lose !

Thanks Diddy.

Last edited:
Diddy is a very smart businessman. That French Montana video "Pop That" was nothing more than a 5 minute Ciroc commercial. They showed Ciroc more than they did the rappers. That is true gangsta ish.

Why wouldn't you clear samples or reach out to artists when this started taking off? How the f**k did you think they weren't gonna hear this? It's everywhere. Rule #1 for anything in life... find them before they find you... without looking. Cause if they ain't looking and run across you, you're f**ked. Apply that to police when you doing wrong, babymamas with 12 year olds you never met you run into at the mall, dude who had a bullet with your name on it since the 90s who hasn't seen you until tonight at the club, lol. Struggling musician wanting a check that just happens to turn on the radio... You're f**ked! Lol.

Dudes hustle backwards and give the game a bad look.

Why wouldn't you clear samples or reach out to artists when this started taking off? How the f**k did you think they weren't gonna hear this? It's everywhere. Rule #1 for anything in life... find them before they find you... without looking. Cause if they ain't looking and run across you, you're f**ked. Apply that to police when you doing wrong, babymamas with 12 year olds you never met you run into at the mall, dude who had a bullet with your name on it since the 90s who hasn't seen you until tonight at the club, lol. Struggling musician wanting a check that just happens to turn on the radio... You're f**ked! Lol.

It's not that deep.

Yet you're the one who gave an example of an artist having to give all his pub and $100k to an artist for sampling their work.

Fab and Just were already established, this guy is not. His story can go more of the route of the group "The Verve" who lost EVERYTHING and never came back to an arguably loose interpolation with no intent of copying anything, and going the right routes for what they did use...just failed to realize what they were doing had been done before and was in the back of their mind, not even the actual sample, but some of thier word phrasing being similar to another version of the song they used.

Last edited:
Yet you're the one who gave an example of an artist having to give all his pub and $100k to an artist for sampling their work.

Fab and Just were already established, this guy is not. His story can go more of the route of the group "The Verve" who lost EVERYTHING and never came back to an arguably loose interpolation with no intent of copying anything, and going the right routes for what they did use...just failed to realize what they were doing had been done before and was in the back of their mind, not even the actual sample, but some of thier word phrasing being similar to another version of the song they used.

It's still not a big deal. If Baauer is meant to flop, he would have flopped regardless of this lawsuit.

There are many artists that were much bigger than Baauer that never came back.

One popular artist from the 90's sampled Rick James "Superfreak" and had the sample cleared. Ever heard of this guy?

Do people even know what Baauer looks like?

Last edited:
^^^

1. Looks like a random skateboarder.

2. Made probably around 2 to 3 million (or I may be to high the numbers) in the same way a person would hit the lottery.

3. Does shows in the same price range as 1,000s just like him all over the world.(which is a whole lot less than what people think)

4. Label can't afford to get sued.

5. Will probably get more money for shows which is a plus....but might get hit hard in the pockets just for restoration.

6. May be able to find some of these massah beggin ass rappers on his beats before it's too late.

The problem with these momented artist......they are not smart enough to run with the moments. They soak in them until they are too dry. And when the sun is 115 degrees....they dry faster than they think.

Got to think 3 moves ahead.

Last edited:
^^^I doubt the LABEL has made millions off that song at this point. I haven't followed it, but he'd need to be generating ALOT of sales and performing alot of big venues.

A good assessment would be in the same timeframe from the release of his ALBUM ilmatic, Nas had only probably seen a few thousand as in 5-10 at this point from his career. I'm assuming this soing has been out 2-3 months? Wu Tang members made $40k average off 36 Chambers. Money don't come like that doing music, lol.

But, i could be oblivious, I don't think this Harlem shake is doing Britney/N'Sync debut 2000 numbers. Even they weren't seeing MILLIONS that quick.

he probably didn't know where the sample is coming from?

LOL!

Lifes gonna be rough thinking that.

Not really.

Music is a stepping stone. It is a platform in which a person can jump into other ventures. The issue with most musicians is that they want to make all of their money strictly from music. For most, music is a short term career. But going into music with an open mind to get into other ventures is the real goal.

Back