Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Now Cost Baauer and His Label Dea

iambase

@30thJune1986
Digital Music News - Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Now Cost Baauer and His Label Dearly...

The news that the YouTube phenomenon Harlem Shake contains samples that the song's producer and writer, Harry Bauer Rodrigues (recording name Baauer), didn't get permission to use illustrates the ignorance that still exists regarding copyright – in particular in the dance community.
Apparently former reggaetón artist Hector Delgado didn't realize the number one hit begins with a sample of him singing/yelling his trademark "con los terroristas" till his manager pointed it out to him a few weeks ago. "It's almost like they came on my land and built a house,"[...]

Lol, well ... fack it.. I'm recording my own voice with that French accent... :alcoholic:

Last edited:
Digital Music News - Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Now Cost Baauer and His Label Dearly...

The news that the YouTube phenomenon Harlem Shake contains samples that the song's producer and writer, Harry Bauer Rodrigues (recording name Baauer), didn't get permission to use illustrates the ignorance that still exists regarding copyright – in particular in the dance community.
Apparently former reggaetón artist Hector Delgado didn't realize the number one hit begins with a sample of him singing/yelling his trademark "con los terroristas" till his manager pointed it out to him a few weeks ago. "It's almost like they came on my land and built a house,"[...]

Lol, well ... fack it.. I'm recording my own voice with that French accent... :alcoholic:
Classic sample case study.

They'll be okay.

They just need to cough up some cash and give up some publishing and writer's share.

Money solves problems.

So true, but how much should the sample other artist cut be? If I'm his lawyer I'm arguing the the sample is critical to the song. It sets up the whole tune.

Hurt BIG TIME I assure you. Endless tracks containing uncleared samples are floating around You Tube and other platforms and you never know when something can run off on you without warning. Its a gamble most take in order to avoid any upfront sample clearing costs and it usually works in the content creator favor because 99% of the music out there gains zero traction but if it does happen to blow and u didn't cover your ass you will be swimming in a river of attorney fees and tears

Last edited:
Hurt BIG TIME I assure you. Endless tracks containing uncleared samples are floating around You Tube and other platforms and you never know when something can run off on you without warning. Its a gamble most take in order to avoid any upfront sample clearing costs and it usually works in the content creator favor because 99% of the music out there gains zero traction but if it does happen to blow and u didn't cover your ass you will be swimming in a river of attorney fees and tears

You guys worry too much. Stop letting lawyers scare you. People are too scared of lawyers. Most cases never go to court. Lawyers want to make a quick settlement and get an easy 30% cut of the action.

Fabolous and Just Blaze had to pay a six-figure sum and give up the writer's share and publisher's share for the song "Breathe". They make zero dollars from that song. Somehow those two guys managed to survive.

Reminds me of the beginning of hip hop when several different samples would be used in one song. When Biz Markie got sued it forever changed the sound of hip hop. I wonder what it does for Bauuer. Its kind of like a tragey story. Because staying underground he would continue to make a ton of money. But popping off like he did made more problems. Sad because his sampling is unavoidable to his style of music but he would never make any money if he had to clear EVERY SINGLE SAMPLE on just one of his tracks. Interesting to see where this goes.

I knew this was going to happen. lol! But I was thinking more on the actual "Harlem Shake" sample. Hit his ass again. Maybe somebody owns the name Harlem Shake......get his ass for that to.

Telling yall man....those few thousand dollars will take you a long way. The happy birthday song is big business. Fuuck beats.....become an asswhole like me. Hustle trend words. Then pop out of nowhere on they ass with proof.......give me ME.....give me ME!!!!

Rice...the "Do the Harlem Shake" vocal was a sample from a rapper too...they are also suing.

That song is a gift and a curse. It's doing amazing but causing issues at the same time

I only see it as a gift.

Baauer can just negotiate a deal where he gives up the rights to the song. He will still be known for making a hit song and can use that as leverage to make hits for other people.

Don't be scared of these lawsuits. People want money more than anything else. The only reason to sue someone for infringing is to make money. Otherwise, why not let people copy? It's not like the people he samples are going to gain any fame or notoriety from suing.

Nobody really cares where the samples come from. Fans only care about the finished product.

^^^Diddy trying to invent shampoo for the hip hop culture.......on some Johnson and Johnson shit.

Killa Cam...........give him just a minute.........he will be late as hell..........but give him a minute.

^^^Diddy trying to invent shampoo for the hip hop culture.......on some Johnson and Johnson shit.

That's awesome!

Diddy knows that consumer goods are where the money is. Johnson's & Johnson's brings in billions in revenue from a large assortment of consumer goods. Companies such as J&J, Procter & Gamble, Coca Cola, McDonalds are really running the world. If Diddy can successfully create a competitive product, he will be able to cement his legacy as one of the greatest businessmen ever.

Music is just a stepping stone to great wealth.

I need a shampoo that can regrow hair maynz.. and after that, I will put some soulglo on my reborn hair.
Thanks Diddy.

I was thinking that musicians would become corporate employees. It's starting to look like this. Only thing is that those music executives are crooks so they just steal and hype up businesses lol (Beats by Dre).
Beyonce needs to start and sell hair extensions, baby diapers and stuff lol... commodities sales rep, that's the future of the musician.
I exaggerate though, there is an entrepreneurship fiber in most of them.

“My dream was that you would wake up in the morning, your alarm would go off, one of my records would be playing. You’d get in the shower and use my shampoo. Then you would get out and use the beauty products,” he says. “You’d get dressed and put on Sean John [clothing], and then would go to work. And after work, you would go and change into your evening wear to go out to a club on a date and you’d put on Sean John again, spray on another of my fragrances, stop by and have a drink of Ciroc. And then maybe take your young lady out to a movie that I was starring in.”

lmao... and you would get a facelift to look just like me... you would spend also hours on youtube to try and learn the diddy dance.. you would tell your girl to act a bit more like Cassie... All yall nukkaz wanna be meeeee ! And Imma get rich on yaall.

Last edited:
Back