gettin 808 kick sounding clean

wow. i was wondering why the forum was at a standstill.

lol....thanks for the link cheeze, production is a hell of a hustle, i would do anything to get my music sounding as good as it can....u know what i need, a good frequency analyser!!!!

I use the furity Parametric EQ 2... its shows you exactly what frequency your sound is playing at and their velocity.

sometimes I run my favorite instramentals through it and I can see what frequencies are played in the tracks.

Im mixing in PT and Im trying to get my 808 to sound thick and clean. When I listen to it on my monitors or my head phones it sounds pretty good. However, when I bounce the track out and listen to it on my laptop monitors, the 808 sounds either too low or too high and distorted. Im trying to put this track on myspace and Im trying to get the 808 clean so people can hear it. Any suggestions??

I actually had the same problem a few weeks back and I have a thread in this section intitled "What Frequencies to cut & boost when eq'ing 808's and Kick Drums"

It worked for me.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312122

Last edited:
Morning_Star really is a douche haha I was like wow I can learn a lot from him then I was like wow he is really cool but of course I'm joking because its obviouse he is not and lives with his mother who tells him he is special.

Recap....

1. "Good Monitoring" is needed. People misinterperated what "good monitoring" was. Good does not equate to expensive although in most cases you indeed do get what you pay for. You need a mixing enviroment that you're comfortable with that gives you no surprises when your songs are played outside of it. If you have some type of superhuman mutant powers, you can do that with a pair of $20 headphones, most of us will want a pair of monitor/speakers that handle range and freq well and either headphones or a secondary pair of speakers/monitors for referencing.

2. Most systems ain't playing sh*t below 40hz so advising people to boost at 11-22hz is indeed the dumbest f**king thing(no offense) I've ever heard offered as advice on mixing period. You might as well cut anything in a song below 30-31hz period. Y'all tried to talk sh*t, but Morning Star gave a solid post, not without me disagreeing with a few things, but still very solid. Everyone in this thread should really listen to both morning star and moses on this one.

The only disagreeance I always have in these discussions come with any type of precise numbers. I can't tell you where you should curve or boost, that all depends on your mix. Every mix varies. Having a good monitoring chain will help alot though. You may want Linkin Park "Points of Authority" 808s, you may want Kanye "Heartless" 808s, you may want Lil Jon "Get Low" 808s, all very different, but all acheivable and very well mixed.

But everyone is different. I don't even bother with EQ. I use drums that knock from the beginning, and again, each song is different, sometimes I need subtle 808s that are barely heard, other times I need one that knock pics off the wall. If you go thru your sounds, I'm sure you have an 808 to fit any situation without too much EQing, filtering, editting, ect.

Last edited:
Try mixing in the headphones

Mix the kick in the headphones to a point where they don't clip, but are loud enough. What you mix there will be a starting mix for any system.

For kick, you know it's bass so play with the low end, the 20-100 hz. I would say somewhere in 70 some odd. However you approach it, you'll have to do EQ to shape the sound how you want.

Have a good one,

-Julius

Someone should put a rule on this forum about putting up numbers. It's been said MULTIPLE times that the frequency is different in every mix. So giving numbers is just stupid if you haven't even heard it.

I get under a lot people's skin because I have a different outlook on a lot of common issues with recording pro audio. I have made up my own mind with how to solve problems instead of following the trend.

@Wedges, You really don't even know me. I've been a professional engineer for over 6 years and I've dedicated my time on this forum to helping others that need it.

@karledwards, I knew someone had my back.

@deranged, excellent post and great info. Anything below 30Hz is considered unusable. I try to keep my advice very generic so people don't get wrapped up in specific settings because, like you said, there is no such thing when it comes to mixing.

Thanks for the love guys and thanks for the hate. I love it all. I'm here to help but when people disagree with me they take it way too serious. I find it all good fun. I never loose sleep on it. But look at the threads I've started. Great tips and reviews of great sounding and cheap priced products that really help people with increasing their music production.

Morning_Star really is a douche haha I was like wow I can learn a lot from him then I was like wow he is really cool but of course I'm joking because its obviouse he is not and lives with his mother who tells him he is special.

What's the purpose of dissing people who have experience and are willing to help you b/c they just love their craft?

Like... what exactly do you accomplish by doing that?

CPhoenix, producers on here are hating constantly because they either can't sell a beat or they don't know as much as another producer. I love this site, but I hate most of the people on it.

Morning_Star, you ain't got to explain sh*t my n*gga. People are gonna keep talking sh*t about you regardless. Just to let you know I've seen you on multiple posts and I appreciate what you do for everyone on here.

CPhoenix, producers on here are hating constantly because they either can't sell a beat or they don't know as much as another producer. I love this site, but I hate most of the people on it.

You're right. The problem is that people, in general, have a difficult time handling being wrong. When people give advice.. they expect everyone to take it as correct. But when another professional comes along and gives an alternate method that the original advice giver may not have thought of, they can't handle it and take it as a threat to their intelligence.
Everybody does this... myself included. The key is just being humble and doing more listening than you do talking. It takes some people a lifetime to figure that out.

Cue NBC's *The More You Know* music. LMAO.

Last edited:
Yeah but i still see this site as a very large wealth of info from everyone. Heck even im about to take a webinar course on improving my music as a whole because thats what you have to do in order to progress...you gotta keep learning

Cue NBC's *The More You Know* music. LMAO.

What's the purpose of dissing people who have experience and are willing to help you b/c they just love their craft?

Like... what exactly do you accomplish by doing that?

I know I know I was probably in a bad mood haha but ya its just the way he conveys his ideas liek "I work with people you wish you could" I mean come on Morning_Star lets not be too egotistical

Back