gettin 808 kick sounding clean

tonedef

Im mixing in PT and Im trying to get my 808 to sound thick and clean. When I listen to it on my monitors or my head phones it sounds pretty good. However, when I bounce the track out and listen to it on my laptop monitors, the 808 sounds either too low or too high and distorted. Im trying to put this track on myspace and Im trying to get the 808 clean so people can hear it. Any suggestions??

I read something about 808 kicks... apparently, what may seem to sound like an 808 kick, is actually a mix of the 808 kick and a bunch of sine waves "tucked" beneath the 808... You should read a little about that. Sorry, dont' have more detail

I dont know about how to get them sounding clean cause they come pretty clean like noble says. But what i do is i layer 3 differnt 808 kicks and send them into a channel on the mixer. Using a compresser i then take the attack out of them. Then i add some EQ on the channel to try and get them sounding right. When i make an 808 drum i usually compare it to some southern 808 sounds and try and get as close as possible to that.

thapi said:
I dont know about how to get them sounding clean cause they come pretty clean like noble says. But what i do is i layer 3 differnt 808 kicks and send them into a channel on the mixer. Using a compresser i then take the attack out of them. Then i add some EQ on the channel to try and get them sounding right. When i make an 808 drum i usually compare it to some southern 808 sounds and try and get as close as possible to that.

damn nigga u doin tha most .......lol...... what it is is tha you guys aint mastering you beat properly ..........this is really only possible if u r tracking it out .....your bass kick shares a field of db wave lengths(frequencys) with you bass and possibly mabyee low pianos or organs ... when instruments overlap frequencys they tend to distort each other........ read this

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29861

lol....thanks for the link cheeze, production is a hell of a hustle, i would do anything to get my music sounding as good as it can....u know what i need, a good frequency analyser!!!!

thapi said:
lol....thanks for the link cheeze, production is a hell of a hustle, i would do anything to get my music sounding as good as it can....u know what i need, a good frequency analyser!!!!

no prob man........... its hard my dude i constantly run into tha same problem hommie ............that sh!t is not easy its years of practice and you have to be able to track out your beats to be able to use any of this knowledge.......... but trust me try not to layer kicks too much snares are cool but kicks get distorted easy

Try removing everything from the kick track below about 80-100hz with a high pass on your eq.
Then use another band on the EQ to sweep between 80 - 150hz to find the nicest bass frequency to increase.
Whicj ever frequency you choose to increase, double it and add a little increase there too.
So, as an example:

1. Cut everything below 80hz
2. Boost a bit at 110hz
3. Boost a bit at 220hz (double 110hz used above)

your problem is about monitoring. you are obviously not sure how your output sounds.

you will always have such issues as long as you don't have a "production-level" monitoring system (throw your end-user systems away).

the monitoring is the key to quality. impossible to do anything right without reliable monitoring.

Last edited:
moses said:
your problem is about monitoring. you are obviously not sure how your output sounds.

you will always have such issues as long as you don't have a "production-level" monitoring system (throw your end-user systems away).

the monitoring is the key to quality. impossible to do anything right without reliable monitoring.

before you try and spit knowledge maybe you should ask him if he has decent monitors..........lol .....for all we know hes got krk v8s or hr824s....ya feel me....... ive had both i just named and i use to run into tha same problem he has when i was first startin out .........why because i was trying to layer like 3 kicks on top of each other.....lol....... and because i didnt know how to properly mix my beats........

You don't really need the best monitoring anyway. Thats a fallacy.
What you do need is to be used to the system you are using, used to what pro recordings sound like through it and more important than anything is CROSS REFERENCING. Play the mix on different systems.
Man, I can mix in headphones or speakers. I could mix through a ghetto blaster. It has taken me years to learn this though.

85 db spl is pretty much the level that is considered the standard for
mixing music. if you are not try it out ,see if it works.

GJOrange said:
You don't really need the best monitoring anyway. Thats a fallacy.
What you do need is to be used to the system you are using, used to what pro recordings sound like through it and more important than anything is CROSS REFERENCING. Play the mix on different systems.
Man, I can mix in headphones or speakers. I could mix through a ghetto blaster. It has taken me years to learn this though.

real talk ive pretty much blown all my monitors so all my mixes have been on big ass paradime house speakers but im so used to mixing and my ear is so well trained at this point it dont really matter too much most of my sh!t comes out soundin really clean......plus i know my equipment really well ......

YABOICHEEZE said:
before you try and spit knowledge maybe you should ask him if he has decent monitors..........lol .....for all we know hes got krk v8s or hr824s....ya feel me....... ive had both i just named and i use to run into tha same problem he has when i was first startin out .........why because i was trying to layer like 3 kicks on top of each other.....lol....... and because i didnt know how to properly mix my beats........

yeah but having decent monitors means nothing if your mixing environment sucks..

im using event bi amped monitors. My room is not sound proof yet. Im going to be building a studio in my basement with soundproof walls and everything. so for now, i dont have any soundproof going on so the sound it bouncing everywhere

Mr. Freeze said:
yeah but having decent monitors means nothing if your mixing environment sucks..

no, it's the exact opposite.

the most expensive gear and the most experienced engineer is worth nothing without decent monitoring. the monitoring system is the "eye" of the audio-engineer.

Last edited:
"the most expensive gear and the most experienced engineer is worth nothing without decent monitoring."

Absolute rubbish.

how nice can picasso paint in the dark?

GJOrange said:
"the most expensive gear and the most experienced engineer is worth nothing without decent monitoring."

Absolute rubbish.

please explain that. why is this rubbish? is that all you can say about that? ...not very convincing..

do you really think that bob ludwig can make a nice mix with pc game speakers!?! :cry: :cry: :cry:

all decisions are based on what you hear.

all decisions are wrong when you don't hear correctly. pure logic.

is it so difficult to understand?

bob katz book is available for free on digido.com. read it.

Last edited:
moses is right

Monitors should accurately reflect your recording, so that if there are problems with the recording, you'll be able to hear it accurately. If your recording sounds tinny, boomy, or muddy, monitors will reveal this, and you can fix the recording.

hell naw i make beats on my playstation beat making game and those 2 inch tv speakers are what all tha pro use these days............lmfao

Back