FL 9 compared to Reason 4

To EVERY one of you Reason zealots that swear NNXT is more "Professional" I want you to read this and take this reality check-up:

Let's say you have a session with one of your MPC2000 wielding bretheren and he has some loops or drum kits that you want to get your hands on. Which piece of software would you rather have, Reason or FL Studio?

The answer: FL Studio.

Why? Because FL Studio's DirectWave sampler READS MPC 2000 samples and programs! Yep, all those mpc kits you can buy online can be used -natively- in FL Studio. Reason??? Nope, can't be done.

Question 2: Your buddy has Logic and has some nice patchbanks and dope loops he chopped up and is using in ESX24. You want to use them too, which would be the better app to have, Reason or FL Studio?

Answer: FL Studio.

Again, Directwave can import ESX format samples and programs directly, unlike NNXT, which simply can't do it.

Question 3: You're in a session in a REAL studio with a seasoned engineer. You're working on a track that has some old Stevie Wonder song as it's basis, but the timing on a particular piano riff is a tad off. There's an identical couple of bars you can sample, but it doesn't have that piano on it. The engineer says "Yeah, Stevie used a Kurzweil K2000 on that track with the CP70 set from the Key Solutions library. We have a copy of it in that drawer over there..."

Which would you rather have during that session?

Answer: FL Studio.

Directwave can import and use Kurzweil programs. These programs have been used by the likes of Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel and many other heavyweight musicians. NNXT??? Nope. Not today or ever.

I can keep going, but really, why? Unless you're just living in denial, you simply can't ignore Directwave's superiority over NNXT when it comes to sheer size of their libraries. Hell, DW even does a better job of Soundfont imports as NNXT doesn't always get it right, but DW does every time.

One of you made mention that Reason has 3 good synths. FL Studio 9 Signature (the one for $299) hands you WAY more than that. Sytrus, Ogun, Synthmaker, Simsynth Live, Granuliser, Wasp and Wasp XT... There's a large list of stuff to use right out of the box (I've even heard some amazing stuff done with that lil 3XOSC plugin!), far more than Reason has to offer. I've used the reason 4 demo, and it's cool, but Thor was the only interesting thing there... Until I used Synthmaker. There's no competition here: Synthmaker by a landslide.

Trust me, I had been a Reason user from 1 to 3, and a FL user from 3.x to 9 (I skipped 8 though). FL, right now, is a much more well rounded product than Reason.

all this if if if..

taking it way extreme and like say it terror said,on some biased shyt that probably happened to you last week..nothing personal,shyt just sounds real biased

Last edited:
logic7 i agree with where you're coming from but i think you've used a couple of bad, and very biased, examples.

in regards to the synths in flstudio compared to the synths in reason i also think you were a little bit biased. the majority of people will not be able to utilise something like synthmaker near it's full capabilities. so i do think that comparison was rather unfair.

in regards to synths i would personally rather have the subtractor, malstrom and thor in flstudio than the synths it already offers. i believe the reason synths to be of better quality, especially thor and the malstrom. comparing thor to synthmaker is like comparing apples and oranges.

as i've said throughout this thread flstudio's main advantage over reason is the ability to support plugins. but with each update flstudio is getting more and more stuff added to their kit as standard, and imageline do update a lot more frequently than propellerheads...

How can I be biased when I've owned both apps? I spotted the weaknesses of Reason quickly as I found myself constantly having to rewire it to Cubase to get access to synthesis enginse outside of Reason's scope. I kept paying for upgrades from 1.0 to 3, and stopped. With FL, I just didn't need to rewire anymore.

Comparing Thor to Synthmaker is valid. Both are modular synths, though Synthmaker goes a step or two beyond it by allowing you to do a more "build from scratch" method similar to owning a MOTM rack. It's not much different comapring Thor to Reaktor either. All three offer modular synthesis, but, in my opinion, Reaktor and Synthmaker are much more flexible, with Synthmaker getting the nod when used as a plugin versus Reaktor as a plugin (I own Reaktor 2, 3 and 5).

Because I'm big on FM synthesis, I like having Sytrus more than Maelstorm. Sytrus will import Yamaha DX7 patches (SYSEX data files), so the library of sounds to add to Sytrus can be as "professional" or as avant garde as you want.

Things I didn't touch on would be like the irritation I had with both Reason AND FL Studio for having to leave the app to do any form of sample editing, something which Image Line changed with FL 7 when they added Edison. Or like how oiginally, neither had good dynamics processing, but both of them offer it now. I'm also tired of Reason's "rack" paradigm and their refusal to upgrade their basic mixer to something more useful. FL's mixer offers multiband parametric EQ on every track (like Cubase and other DAW's), Reason is still stuck on it's old two band shelving EQ.

I guess, as a person that came from hardware, that programs a lot of his own sounds, and that has a nice library of samples from hardware samplers, FL Studio just makes sense to use. The sequencer, in large part, is very similar to those found on a lot of hardware sequencers (even the MPC's sequencer is functionally similar). I can edit samples in-app without having to resort to opening SoundForge or anything like that, I can somplete entire track without having to leave the app at all if I really felt like it, leaving ProTools as a tool to ship out sessions with.

Since I'm not just into hip hop, I find that it fits quite well with Jungle/DnB, Detroit Techno, Deep House, Electro, and Ghettotech composition as well as Dubstep, which I'm now getting into.

This arguement gets old. best way I can compare is by saying....

Some people just want a single workstation(Reason)with controlled expansions(Refills)and add ons for Recording and Sampling(DAW or ReCord/ReCycle).

Other want a forever expansive setup(FL Studio)no one is "better" in any way beyond preference. I will admit that vstis surpass "Refill Technology" by far, but depending on the type of music you're doing, both are compeditive. Same sense, depending on the type of music one is doing, some people need live instruments, others need trash can lids and buckets. lol.

This arguement is literally equivalent to trying to argue which is best between an MV8800 and a Fantom. They're not the same category of instrument although they share similarities, and ultimately, your preference will determine which best suits you.

How can I be biased when I've owned both apps? I spotted the weaknesses of Reason quickly as I found myself constantly having to rewire it to Cubase to get access to synthesis enginse outside of Reason's scope. I kept paying for upgrades from 1.0 to 3, and stopped. With FL, I just didn't need to rewire anymore.

Comparing Thor to Synthmaker is valid. Both are modular synths, though Synthmaker goes a step or two beyond it by allowing you to do a more "build from scratch" method similar to owning a MOTM rack. It's not much different comapring Thor to Reaktor either. All three offer modular synthesis, but, in my opinion, Reaktor and Synthmaker are much more flexible, with Synthmaker getting the nod when used as a plugin versus Reaktor as a plugin (I own Reaktor 2, 3 and 5).

Because I'm big on FM synthesis, I like having Sytrus more than Maelstorm. Sytrus will import Yamaha DX7 patches (SYSEX data files), so the library of sounds to add to Sytrus can be as "professional" or as avant garde as you want.

Things I didn't touch on would be like the irritation I had with both Reason AND FL Studio for having to leave the app to do any form of sample editing, something which Image Line changed with FL 7 when they added Edison. Or like how oiginally, neither had good dynamics processing, but both of them offer it now. I'm also tired of Reason's "rack" paradigm and their refusal to upgrade their basic mixer to something more useful. FL's mixer offers multiband parametric EQ on every track (like Cubase and other DAW's), Reason is still stuck on it's old two band shelving EQ.

I guess, as a person that came from hardware, that programs a lot of his own sounds, and that has a nice library of samples from hardware samplers, FL Studio just makes sense to use. The sequencer, in large part, is very similar to those found on a lot of hardware sequencers (even the MPC's sequencer is functionally similar). I can edit samples in-app without having to resort to opening SoundForge or anything like that, I can somplete entire track without having to leave the app at all if I really felt like it, leaving ProTools as a tool to ship out sessions with.

Since I'm not just into hip hop, I find that it fits quite well with Jungle/DnB, Detroit Techno, Deep House, Electro, and Ghettotech composition as well as Dubstep, which I'm now getting into.

it is irrelevant if you've owned both programs. you can still be biased. i actually agree with you that flstudio is the more powerful tool. i just don't think you're expressing yourself that well as you seem to be using very biased examples.

comparing thor to either reaktor or synthmaker is insane. thor is completely different. reaktor and synthmaker are modular music environments that allow you to construct your own instruments wheras thor is merely a modular synth that allows you to select different oscillators. comparing is pointless.

in regards to the sequencer. it's all down to personal preference. talking about different genres of music is absolutely pointless.

your entire posts stinks of a closed minded view. you think because something works better for you then it must be the best solution.

comparing thor to either reaktor or synthmaker is insane. thor is completely different. reaktor and synthmaker are modular music environments that allow you to construct your own instruments wheras thor is merely a modular synth that allows you to select different oscillators. comparing is pointless.

They're all modular synths, all three of them. If you wanted to, you could also include TimeWARP 2600 into that mix as it's also a modular synth, though more limited as it's an emulation of the old ARP 2600 modular synth. The prinicple is the same across the board: You build your synth using modules and connecting those modules in a variety of ways. Propellerhead touted Thor as this monster modular synth, yet a closer look at it reveals it's inherent limitations. 6 slots for oscillators and filters? Synthmaker has no such limitations, pile up 6 osc AND 6 different filters, modulate everything with LFO's, stick a few envelope controls in it and throw in a mixer to control what's more prominent and what plays the background.

why are you even comparing synthmaker and reaktor to thor?

like i said it's like comparing apples and oranges.

synthmaker allows you to create vst instruments. it's basically developed to be a visual programming tool, much the same as reaktor. comparing those two to a semi-modular synth like thor is ridiculous.

Last edited:
if they were hardware....thor would be like a synth u bought.....something like reaktor would be equivalent to buying componets and building your own.....

u cant really compare the two....apples and oranges...

Last edited:
if they were hardware....thor would be like a synth u bought.....something like reaktor would be equivalent to buying componets and building your own.....

u cant really compare the two....apples and oranges...

Thor has modules for oscillators, filters, envelopes, lfo's and whatnot. You construct your synth around those modules. Synthmaker behaves in the same way, however you also have to create an interface section for your synth... or not, you can still use it from it's "bare metal" view so you can change signal routing on the fly. Reaktor is similar to Synthmaker.

On the hardware end of it:

Thor would be like having a small, transportable rack with a few MOTM modules to choose from. You're going to be limited only by the amount of space you have to use (which is true of Thor) and the number of module slots you have available.

Reaktor and Synthmaker would be like having a large 6' tall, 19" rack with as many of those same MOTM modules to choose from as you're only limited by the processing power of your PC.

it's still modular synthesis no matter how you look at it. Functionally, Thor is the same as the other two, you have modules to pick from and you wire them as you see fit, you're just limited in scope.

i prefer reason till i can find a vst that can do what the combinator does and still keep a low cpu power then maybe i will consider but i doubt the thing i really dislike about fruitloops and most daw its its too many windows i like my layout to be nice and neat i dont have that problem with reason.

i prefer reason till i can find a vst that can do what the combinator does and still keep a low cpu power then maybe i will consider but i doubt the thing i really dislike about fruitloops and most daw its its too many windows i like my layout to be nice and neat i dont have that problem with reason.

you mean like FL Studio's Layer Channel device?

and, looking at your iMac's specs, you have to really think in relative terms. Low CPU usage on your machine, might be HIGH on my 3GHz P4 and would probably bring my 966MHz P3 to it's knees, if it even worked at all. You have to think in relative terms when talking about CPU power. Your iMac is flat out faster than my P4. The machine that I use at work is many times faster than your iMac so I can run something on my office machine and it would have low CPU utilization, but doing the same thing on your iMac would simply crush it.

reason is a powerhouse by itself..it doesn't need 3rd party assisstance to show its potential..not saying anything is wrong with needing a little help but what if I can't afford plugins just yet or don't have internet to d/l the free ones,then in yall own words FL would kinda suck..I'd have to make do...fuk makin do..I don't wanna have to 'make do' if I can help it

reason is a powerhouse by itself..it doesn't need 3rd party assisstance to show its potential..not saying anything is wrong with needing a little help but what if I can't afford plugins just yet or don't have internet to d/l the free ones,then in yall own words FL would kinda suck..I'd have to make do...fuk makin do..I don't wanna have to 'make do' if I can help it

this means you have never used FL Studio. If you had, you would know just how powerful it's included plugins are.

you mean like FL Studio's Layer Channel device?

and, looking at your iMac's specs, you have to really think in relative terms. Low CPU usage on your machine, might be HIGH on my 3GHz P4 and would probably bring my 966MHz P3 to it's knees, if it even worked at all. You have to think in relative terms when talking about CPU power. Your iMac is flat out faster than my P4. The machine that I use at work is many times faster than your iMac so I can run something on my office machine and it would have low CPU utilization, but doing the same thing on your iMac would simply crush it.

Please dont start to even discredit reason CPU thats why people dont use FL onstage live, They use Reason on they laptops. They do a whole world tour without one single crash. ask Rehinas keyboardist, and Korns Keyboardsist, Marylin Manson KeyBoardist, Gwinn Stephonies Keyboardsist, Beastie boys DJ, Ushers Music director, Black eyed Pease Music Director, Oustkast Dj. Ask them why they choose Reason over FL, Ask why they choose to use Reason to make number 1 hits lol. oh yah u the same guy thats said reason's nn-xt cant suport all these crazy sound fonts or formats your right. But its one thing that can solve that convert format to wave. easy dont say lot of work heck being a producer is alot of work peroid. matter of fact its fun. But any way i dont see why people dont get that 95% of people are going to say FL is better cause 95% of the people on FPnever had a platinum + record they produced. Now ask the real producer some i named they all from out of they own mouth laugh at FL, Not that FL is bad its powerful in my opinion its great, off the hook i think, but from commons sense Reason is more professional just cause the whole goal was to make it not for High schooler or "beat Makers" But for real musicsions. If you look whos uses FL vs. Reason people would see people who knows how to play 1 or more instruments go to reason first.

Please dont start to even discredit reason CPU thats why people dont use FL onstage live, They use Reason on they laptops. They do a whole world tour without one single crash. ask Rehinas keyboardist, and Korns Keyboardsist, Marylin Manson KeyBoardist, Gwinn Stephonies Keyboardsist, Beastie boys DJ, Ushers Music director, Black eyed Pease Music Director, Oustkast Dj. Ask them why they choose Reason over FL, Ask why they choose to use Reason to make number 1 hits lol. oh yah u the same guy thats said reason's nn-xt cant suport all these crazy sound fonts or formats your right. But its one thing that can solve that convert format to wave. easy dont say lot of work heck being a producer is alot of work peroid. matter of fact its fun. But any way i dont see why people dont get that 95% of people are going to say FL is better cause 95% of the people on FPnever had a platinum + record they produced. Now ask the real producer some i named they all from out of they own mouth laugh at FL, Not that FL is bad its powerful in my opinion its great, off the hook i think, but from commons sense Reason is more professional just cause the whole goal was to make it not for High schooler or "beat Makers" But for real musicsions. If you look whos uses FL vs. Reason people would see people who knows how to play 1 or more instruments go to reason first.

there's sooooo many people that use FL live it ain't even funny. FL is used in EDM/IDM live performances a lot, you're just ignorant to that because you're ignorant to the rest of the music world. Music doesn't revolve around Hip Hop and RnB, there's too much music out there that revolves around FL Studio, but you're centered around rap and rnb, so your world view on music is skewed to believe that only this type of music matters and at that, only American artists matter. Your narrow minded, centrist way of thinking is what will keep you from seeing anything other than Reason as being a good tool for music production. I've already told you guys that I OWN 4 versions of Reason, 1.0, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0, but at the same time I own FL Studio and, after using them both, I see the flaws in both, but Reason's limitations are what kept me from investing further in it.

I'll tell you what... You show me a number one hit made in Reason that's bigger than "Crank Dat" and I'll give you some credit for Reason. (for the record, I f_ckin HATE "Crank Dat"... but it was made in FL Studio, so it counts as a #1 hit)

To be truthful, Albleton Live IS the single best app for live work since that's what it was designed for. The guys from the group Monolake created it (with a staff of coders, but their input, especially robert henke's, got it to where it is today). They created a company, Ableton AG, and got to work on Ableton Live, creating it for live EDM performances.

and bruh... before you come at ANYONE saying something is NOT for high schoolers... learn to communicate on at least a high school level. At that point, I MIGHT take what you're saying seriously. I had to sit here with a d_mned "Illiterate Ghetto Ebonics to English" code wheel to figure out what half of your statement said.

Know what... I want YOU to qualify this statement with empirical data. Prove to us how Reason is "more professional" with concrete data.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
this means you have never used FL Studio. If you had, you would know just how powerful it's included plugins are.

FL 3 was the first software I used to make beats with..I thought there had to be more to making beats than what FL shows you cuz it was too easy so I switched to reason which presented way more of a challenge..more of a challenge doesn't mean it's better but I figured if I could learn to use it efficiently and make hot beats with it then I really do have skill and InstaBeats aka Fruity Loops was just a more in-depth gimmick.not to mention that even as someone who had never used FL before,the sounds sucked ass

also,you're the first person to say that FL plugins don't suck..the best I've heard was that they were ok but VSTs were way better but you say they're powerful..are you sure you're not exaggerating to prove a point?

thas exactly what FL is..it's a watered down version of the real software so ppl don't bust brain cells tryna make music.. in every industry there's always this lil guy that comes along and says they do exactly what everyone else does only better and cheaper..fukn gimmick..then when you check it out,you get exactly what you pay for

Know what... I want YOU to qualify this statement with empirical data. Prove to us how Reason is "more professional" with concrete data.

I'll wait.

I think he's tryna say that it gives out a more professional image...no fruity ass kiddy names..the virtual rack with the different devices...the better quality sounds and so on

Last edited:
What would make FL Plugs "suck" any more/less than the Reason Modules? They do the same things.

TB404, 3xosc equivalent to Subtraktor
Sytrus equivalent to Malstrom
Step Sequencer/sampler/FPC/Drumsynth Live equivalent to ReDrum
Simsynth, Wasp, Toxic Biohazard, DX10 equivalent to the parts that make up Thor
FL Effects powered by Sonitus equivalent to the MClass suite
Layer Equivalent to Combinator
SliceX and FL Slicer equivalent to Dr. Rex
DirectWave equivalent to NNXT

Not to mention alot of those mentioned FL counterparts IMO surpass the ones in Reason. FL Slicer and Slice X run circles around Dr. Rex

Both have Automation and sample manipulation.
FL does not have mod wheel control(unless recently added to 9)
Reason does not record audio
Reason has no answer to FL's Edison
FL has Timestretch
Reason Has no plug in support
FL can ReWire Reason into it.
IMO Reason has the better "Quantize while recording" feat.
IMO FL has the lesser of a learning curve which causes it's professionalism to be overlooked by guys who get comfortable quickly without exploring it for it's full potential.
IMO FL is the less stable of the 2 programs.
IMO FL is more advanced and statistically the more functional of the 2 programs.

I chose to use Reason for it's limits. So I find it funny that Reason users have the gall to knock FL. The Step Sequencer in FL alone is prove of it's superior intricacy to reason. Try making a snare roll that pans from left to right and then bounced back and forth for the last 4 hits while the volume slowly rises up from the 1st to last hit with some of the hits landing on 16th counts while others land oin 32nds to get a roll effect. Shorten the length for more "pop" to the snare, HP Filter it, and add some stereo spread to widen the sound. Then add swing.

You won't have to leave the 1 sample cell and step sequencer in FL to do all of that. You'll be all over the place in Reason. That makes one no more superior than the other, just an example of where and why either can outperform or be preferred above the other.

Last edited:
for every pro someone is gonna find a con..the better sound quality and plethora of sounds is enough for me .all the rest of that shyt can work itself out if you're serious about what you do

I have been useing reason for about 3 years now and i Love it especially the fact that it Rewires to Pro tools is the seller for me. I tried FL during the same time i picked up reason so i have not tried any of there new software and cant comment on that but the old software seemed limited when it came to editing for me.

Back