few questions reguarding mpc's

36 chamber music

i know theres a lot of ppl asking questions about mpc's and i do realize that there is a ton of threads on this topic. I have done my research on mpc's and i plan on getting one in the near future.

my main concern i have with moving to an mpc setup is timestretching and speeding up samples (and loops, etc). I realize that the 2000xl and later are the machines that have timestretching on them (meaning the 2000xl, 4000, 2500, etc).

1. How do you speed up a sample when using an mpc? For examply, lets say im working with a 2 bar loop that has a bpm of 70, but i want my beat to be at 90 bpm's...how would i speed the sample up (not timestretch) so it would match my beats bpm. Do you have to stretch/speed up before you sample the loop into your mpc? this issue is kinda confusing to me.

2. also would a mixer be a good purchase to go with the mpc. I realize you can mix your drums, samples, etc right in the mpc itself but is it much better to track everything out into a mixer?

any help would be great...thanks

it depends on what you want the sample to sound like in the end.
you can speed it up by transposing it but the sample pitch will go up. (chipmunk sound). You would choose the sample you want and put the MPC in "chromatic" mode and play the sample at the desired note/speed by tapping the pads.

but if you want to keep the same pitch then you must timestretch the sample in the MPC.

^^^ thanks man, i appreciate the feedback, thats exactly what i wanted to know. timestretching in the fruity slicer in fl makes the sample sound real elasticy and shitty.. does the same go for the mpc or any other piece of equipment for that matter?

Last edited:
^^^ thanks man, i appreciate the feedback, thats exactly what i wanted to know. timestretching in the fruity slicer in fl makes the sample sound real elasticy and shitty.. does the same go for the mpc or any other piece of equipment for that matter?

well....yes, IF you stretch the sample too far. most samples don't sound good being stretched past 10 - 20% in most hardware or software. but its a trial and error thing per sample.

i know theres a lot of ppl asking questions about mpc's and i do realize that there is a ton of threads on this topic. I have done my research on mpc's and i plan on getting one in the near future.

my main concern i have with moving to an mpc setup is timestretching and speeding up samples (and loops, etc). I realize that the 2000xl and later are the machines that have timestretching on them (meaning the 2000xl, 4000, 2500, etc).

1. How do you speed up a sample when using an mpc? For examply, lets say im working with a 2 bar loop that has a bpm of 70, but i want my beat to be at 90 bpm's...how would i speed the sample up (not timestretch) so it would match my beats bpm. Do you have to stretch/speed up before you sample the loop into your mpc? this issue is kinda confusing to me.

2. also would a mixer be a good purchase to go with the mpc. I realize you can mix your drums, samples, etc right in the mpc itself but is it much better to track everything out into a mixer?

any help would be great...thanks

With the 2000xl, you can use the beatmatch feature in the TRIM window and calculate the bpms and set the Tune up until it matches what you want.

As for buying a mixer, I'd say stick with doing things inside the mpc. The mixer in the mpc is great because everything is self contained inside the machine and mixer settings are saved with your program.

There's no real need to go for the 8 outs and a mixer unless you plan on tracking things out.

Thanks guys...real helpful stuff.

So u can get good mixes within the 2000xl itself? And if I am to go without a mixer I should get the effects board with the xl currect?

Thanks guys...real helpful stuff.

So u can get good mixes within the 2000xl itself? And if I am to go without a mixer I should get the effects board with the xl currect?

eh the effects board is over priced. don't worry too much about the 'mix'. make your samples sound as best you can before they get in the machine and make beats that you feel. If you wanna polish em up someday down the road you can do that....just save the program and sequences and revisit them someday in the future when you and your people are getting access to recording studio gear.

Don't stress too much about mixing...that's an engineers job. Move on to the next track and enjoy learning how to use your new machine.

^^^ thanks for the feedback man i really appreciate it...i plan on goin after an mpc around december, so im gonna be doin a lot or research, but right now im leanin to the 2000xl.

your positive feedback is refreshing, i was ready for ppl to give me mad shit for not knowing these things...appreciated man!

would yall recommend a 1000? I see them on guitarcenter for around the same price as a 2000, and I want something where I can do it all in the box & not have to get an expansion

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

what about a 1000, why are the blue ones so cheap?

would yall recommend a 1000? I see them on guitarcenter for around the same price as a 2000, and I want something where I can do it all in the box & not have to get an expansion

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

what about a 1000, why are the blue ones so cheap?

The blue ones have a lot of pad issues. THe newer black ones that are the N models are the best. They have the upgraded pads. I would say go used though. You can get one for a pretty good deal.

so is it safe to buy a blue MP? Guitar center usually tests all their used gear

go black mpc 1000. i've had both 2000xl and blue 1000.The 1000 with the jjos is definitely the better of the two IMO. especially with a hard drive installed and more portable.

You would choose the sample you want and put the MPC in "chromatic" mode and play the sample at the desired note/speed by tapping the pads.

You mean 16 levels or auto chromatic assignment? The simple way would be changing the pitch of the sample in the program...

Time stretching in mpc2000xl will require some patience as it takes a long time. If you really need time stretching, it's better to take care of it with your daw.

Last edited:
1. not all black 1000s have the pad fix (cost for parts to fix it is about $180)
2. I wouldnt mix in the mp or the mixer. Track it out first, which is why you want the 8 out board. I wouldnt worry about the fx card though.

can u record sounds (samples, drums, w/e) while your pattern is playing in the mpc 2000xl? Im not sure the currect term for this, i believe its overdubbing, lol im not sure....

imo since you already own fl studio i dont see any reason to not utilize its awesome tools for sampling.

i think ur tryna make it more difficult on urself then it has to be.

use slicex .....cut out any loop you desire, timestretch it, then load it up into ur mpc for chopping.

if you wana feel nastalgic and all that by using the mpc for this task then fine. although as i said you already have a killer timestretch tool with way more flexibility in ur daw so why not just use it?

imo since you already own fl studio i dont see any reason to not utilize its awesome tools for sampling.

i think ur tryna make it more difficult on urself then it has to be.

use slicex .....cut out any loop you desire, timestretch it, then load it up into ur mpc for chopping.

if you wana feel nastalgic and all that by using the mpc for this task then fine. although as i said you already have a killer timestretch tool with way more flexibility in ur daw so why not just use it?

I agree that fl is a good sampling daw n slice x is a great tool for chopping and looping...but I'm looking to upgrade my setup, my computer is total sh"t. It's an 02 Dell with one gig of ram, it's extremely slow n not powerful whatsoever.

I've been wanting to go hardware sense the day I started making beats (seven months ago)...I figure instead of upgrading my computer that I'll start building my hardware setup. I just wanna make sure mpc's can do these things, as long as they're capable to do these things, I'll master the manual n learn to do them, I'll study the machine for months. It's something I've always wanted to do (use an mp). So as long as they're capable of these things I'm pickin you guys brains about then I'll find a way to use these tools...

I just wanna see the tools and features these machines have....

I do appreciate all the help!

Btw...I have a technics 1200, I can record my scratches right into the xl right,? As long as I have a mixer/pre amp

Btw...I have a technics 1200, I can record my scratches right into the xl right,? As long as I have a mixer/pre amp

The XL can record them...but again the sequencer won't be running so you won't be scratching 'over' anything.

From what you're talking about in terms of timestretching (processing power) and recording while the sequence is playing I'm thinking you'd be better off with a 2500. let us know how the budget is looking.

Back