Anyone else sick of Lord Jamar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. I should've known better than touch this topic. This is a music site.
That said, my main point is that individual acts of discrimination are not the problem, but when a group has the ability enforce these views with an institutional structure.
The stand your ground law in Florida runs much deeper than George Zimmerman, the stop and frist policy in NY is about more than just crime.
Lord Jamar is ignorant to ignore the history of hip-hop before him with Rick Rubin, the Beastie's, and even Third Bass. i do not consider him racist because he lacks power. The historically oppressed group cannot engage in racist activities because they lack the resources of the dominant group. Power is a critical attribute of racism whether you guys realize it or not.
My apologizes for opening this can of worms.

Power and racism are two separate things. You can be racist without power. Things get worst when you actually have the ability to enforce your racist views in some form of law or institution. But that doesn't mean that you can't be racist if you're not in power. What you're talking about is institutionalized racism. All institutionalized racism is racism but not all racism is institutionalized.

Black people are incapable of being racist in the same sense of whites because Blacks worldwide lack the power to make any discrimatory views have a institutional impact. A black person can say something offensive to a white person on an individual level, but its not racism in the sense of white racism towards Blacks in the US historically or the Afrikaners in S. Africa.
I do not condone some of the stuff Lord Jamar said, but its not racism.
[video=youtube_share;dw_mRaIHb-M]https://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M[video]
[video=youtube_share;gRGa8S5TSXU]https://youtu.be/gRGa8S5TSXU[video]
These dudes just generating outrage and like the dude above said most young cats don't know nothing bout Brand Nubian

Meh. I should've known better than touch this topic. This is a music site.
That said, my main point is that individual acts of discrimination are not the problem, but when a group has the ability enforce these views with an institutional structure.
The stand your ground law in Florida runs much deeper than George Zimmerman, the stop and frist policy in NY is about more than just crime.
Lord Jamar is ignorant to ignore the history of hip-hop before him with Rick Rubin, the Beastie's, and even Third Bass. i do not consider him racist because he lacks power. The historically oppressed group cannot engage in racist activities because they lack the resources of the dominant group. Power is a critical attribute of racism whether you guys realize it or not.
My apologizes for opening this can of worms.

its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

Meh. I should've known better than touch this topic.
Lord Jamar is ignorant to ignore the history of hip-hop before him with Rick Rubin, the Beastie's, and even Third Bass.

My father had friends who studied 5% teachings back in the day and I got a hold of his lessons one day. Jamar is biased because of the teachings and because of what he he was taught. I wont go into who "Yacub the Devil" is but it defintely still influences Jamar's thinking to this day.

Last edited:
Power and racism are two separate things. You can be racist without power. Things get worst when you actually have the ability to enforce your racist views in some form of law or institution. But that doesn't mean that you can't be racist if you're not in power. What you're talking about is institutionalized racism. All institutionalized racism is racism but not all racism is institutionalized.
The substance and legacy, in the US, originates from the interaction of the two. Nobody sues or presses charges for being called derogatory words, they sue because the people in power have exercised their institutional influence.
Um, I disagree.
an.gif

I don't know what the fuss is about. I've been going to Wu Tang show's since '95, they are usually packed 90% with white males...even the solo show's that are in the hood! Chopped it up with every member. Jamar shares the exact same view's... did a whole album with them called the 5%er album....stop acting brand new!

You know we're product of the conscious movements: mostly NOI, 5%er, MSTA, Panther ect.ect. You love hiphop and what we do or you don't. Public enemy and Pac were on the same tip if not more extreme..strait up REVOLUTIONARY type shyt and EVERYONE LOVES IT...including whites....its those old ass nazi/dixie/freemason/shriner/kkk/ type mofo's who want to enslave us all that get shook!

Why do some of you feel Jamar/Wu/Public enemy/Outkast/Dead Prez ect.ect. can rap about whites stealing our shyt,injustice, racial matter's...AND YOU LOVE IT.....but they can't say it in normal cadence..all of a sudden they are inappropriately typified as "racist"....stop playing games!

I don't know what the fuss is about. I've been going to Wu Tang show's since '95, they are usually packed 90% with white males...even the solo show's that are in the hood! Chopped it up with every member. Jamar shares the exact same view's... did a whole album with them called the 5%er album....stop acting brand new!

You know we're product of the conscious movements: mostly NOI, 5%er, MSTA, Panther ect.ect. You love hiphop and what we do or you don't. Public enemy and Pac were on the same tip if not more extreme..strait up REVOLUTIONARY type shyt and EVERYONE LOVES IT...including whites....its those old ass nazi/dixie/freemason/shriner/kkk/ type mofo's who want to enslave us all that get shook!

Why do some of you feel Jamar/Wu/Public enemy/Outkast/Dead Prez ect.ect. can rap about whites stealing our shyt,injustice, racial matter's...AND YOU LOVE IT.....but they can't say it in normal cadence..all of a sudden they are inappropriately typified as "racist"....stop playing games!

At first I was like Wu Tang and Jamar did a 5% album together. I need that until I remembered Jamal had dropped a solo album a few years ago which I copped. It wasnt a callabo though with Wu Tang.

I half agree with this, except it's kind of ironic that he's being homophobic to get his point across.

Last edited:
The substance and legacy, in the US, originates from the interaction of the two. Nobody sues or presses charges for being called derogatory words, they sue because the people in power have exercised their institutional influence.

Um, I disagree.
View attachment 41402

you can't sue for merely being called a derogatory word it's protected by freedom of speech. But you can sue from being denied the same basic rights as another american. If by your standard of racism. Only white people could be racist. Non whites would be unable to be racist in america against other non whites. And we all know that not to be true.

are black people guests in the united states???

(damn, they took ya thread down lol)

I dont get your point since all of our ancestors were immigrants including white people. The big difference however is all other immigrants came her willingly. The only indigenous people are the Native Americans.

Last edited:
>>>>Nobody sues or presses charges for being called derogatory words<<<<

???????? Really????????

GJ

I dont get your point since all of our ancestors were immigrants including white people. The big difference however is all other immigrants came her willingly. The only indigenous people are the Native Americans.

good point.
then are white people guests in the united states?? in the native american's house??

Turning back to Lord Jamar's claims about HipHop/Rap... One point he makes is that Action Bronson sounds like Ghostface, and he's afraid new kids will credit Bronson with the style rather than doing their history to find Ghostface. THAT, I can understand, but I still don't see that as necessarily a racial issue. That's musical history, and listeners are guilty of forgetting the originals all the time, in all genres.

Some Rock kid might say "I'm influenced by Pearl Jam.." Well, that means you're also influenced by Led Zeppelin and The Who, who were influenced by Little Richard and American blues artists. But that Rock kid isn't going to say "I'm influenced by Little Richard", and not with a racial undertone, just generational ignorance. A copy of a copy of a copy is never as clear as the original, and I can get behind someone who wants to at least make that known, so new fans can understand the true foundation of what they're listening to.
they stole rock and roll from black people made eric clapton the face of the blues now whats next white people are destroying our culture. now niggas wear dresses cmon now its common sense lord jamar is a very smart man to speak the truth in a generation of lies

they stole rock and roll from black people made eric clapton the face of the blues now whats next white people are destroying our culture. now niggas wear dresses cmon now its common sense lord jamar is a very smart man to speak the truth in a generation of lies
Please...Clapton aint shit when it comes to the blues and everyone knows it. The only people who hold him up as a great blues artist are people who still put stock in Rolling Stone Magazines top 100 lists.

Well, things are going a bit far-afield, but a few people have their privates... I mean prejudices showing. I'm just a guest in this conversation as I've been peeping for awhile now, but I think it's funny we can't move past all of this stuff in 2014. Speaking as a historian of music, in some ways, I suppose, the above two comments are true, or have a kernal of an essence of truth (kind of sort of). But mostly, they're laughably wrong and off-topic at best.

Regarding this: >>>>then are white people guests in the united states?? in the native american's house??<<<< basically, Yes, at least according to many of my Native American friends. But what do you call a guest that refuses to leave and eventually takes over the joint?? The Dominant Culture. At this point we have to deal and move on; can't go back, only forward...

GJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back