Akai MPK49 WTF?

They should make a DAW that can dump and store samples, and make USB enabled MPCs able to function as MIDI controllers while they sample and what not, basically an SP-606 on roids.

check the sonicstate video... and then make your comments about how this is like all the other Midi controllers.... it's got a lot of built in features that others cant touch at the moment...

is it worth $500 ... prolly not... do i want one... no... but i'm sure there's people out there that do.

Sqito said:
I really think though that IF Akai would announce something in the lines of: "the new AKAI sequencer for your computer" they would still get a big share. No matter what "major" progs are on top of the list right now.

You're damn right they would. If nothing else, just off the brand alone or pure curiousity. No matter how many programs are out there, somebody always wants something new or different.

p_game said:
I don't know of any midi controller available that has a built in arpeggiator.
depending on the flexibility of it, there are dozens of 'midi plugins' that can get the job done. Or even buildt in arp stuff...etc... which your sequencer of choice should be able to handle very well.

Some people might like like it, some don't. I do not really think that's a big selling point though. :D

What's the specs of the arp the units have buildt in?

Sqito said:
like what?

the reason i said watch the video first is because i thought the same thing... after i watched the video i learn it had a lot of built in features not in other midi controllers such as arpeggiator (Built in to the hardware) and some other things that i dont really know about because i dont use MPC's...

like i said i wouldnt buy one... but i'm sure some MPC heads will love it.

For those that dont want to watch the video.... from the website:

The Akai MPK49 ushers in a new era for USB/MIDI controllers by combining a high-quality, 49-key, semi-weighted keyboard with aftertouch and 12 MPC-style drum pads. 48 total pads are accessible via 4 pad banks. The pads feature popular MPC Note Repeat function and Swing parameters, and the Akai MPK49 performance controller has its own arpeggiator, for creating quick, creative riffs in seconds.

The Akai MPK49 features MPC-style Full Level and 12 Levels functions on its pads, and MPC Swing can be applied to both Note Repeat and Arpeggio functions. Tap Tempo and time-division buttons allow for real-time control of Note Repeat and Arpeggio clock speeds. The Akai MPK49 delivers an amazing 72 assignable controls, with assignable inputs that include an expression pedal, footswitch, pitch bend and modulation wheel.

Key Features

8 full-sized, 360 degree rotation pots, each with 3 banks for 24 pots total
MPC-style note repeat and all new arpeggiator
8 full-sized sliders with 3 controller banks for each for 24 sliders total
8 assignable backlit switches with 3 controller banks each for 24 switches total
MMC/MIDI Start Stop transport buttons
Large, easy-to-read custom LCD display

hope that helps.

Last edited:
InfamousGhostKAent said:
its ONLY a midi controller... why yall so hyped?
Im hyped because it looks good, its basically what I use all in one...much easier. Im using a MPD 16 and a Korg 49K...combined I get the MPK49...sweet.

I will check it out first to see if its worth it, if not I'll keep what I have.
Sometime the hype is just that, hyped and nothing following.

SampleCore said:
Here is the product page.
http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPK49.php

Even though they are semi-weighted, something tells me the keys will disappoint. I hope they're better than the Remote LE's (worst ever made IMO).
What are you smoking? Novation ReMOTE has the best keys for the price. I doubt the LE is sporting different keys than my non-LE ReMOTE. I guess to each their own but you clearly haven't had your hands on much to be saying such.

rocsta said:
I would like to use the transport buttons but not every sequencer supports MMC so be aware of that.
Novation who makes my keyboard was smart. They made it so the transport buttons was configurable to send MMC, CC and so forth. So maybe Akai. I doubt the keys will be good but who knows.

Last edited:
I think it will be a nice add on to my set-up I use to use a mpc400, I sold it to go all in the box per say I do miss the note repeat and the swing

This would be a nice package for me if I was going the all software route, and it had 61 keys

This is going to be a way better midi controller, but for the price hmmm....

I got a few gear from AKAI and my last on was th MPD24 that i love BTW and most of the controls on that controller look very much like those on the MPD24 but to me this is too much if that's really the price...i would rather get the MPD 24 and a good MIDI keyboard for less I don't think those xtra functionalities are worth the price difference at least not for me...but I won't discourage someone who's trying to get it 'cause a lot of people tried to keep me from getting the MPD24 but i am glad i didn't listen...But my combination for that price would be MPD24 and CME UF6

This midi controller is what's up. The thing that's good about it is that it controls the Midi Time Code which makes the note repeat work incredible. The con to that is u still have to change quantizing settings in ya DAW. I'd rather get the MPD 32

i got the mpk...paid $349 from guitar center out the box. The built in appregiator is the shytz. the pads are straight, but that's all in the way you approach them. Man this thing took reasons to an another whole level once I got it. it's worth it yo. Oh and its build is good. real durable. the mpk is the first akai product i've owned. if i wanted to just stay straight software then I could do it all with this. but yeah if i ever have to travel...i would take this along cause there's no telling where you will run across reasons or some other daw. plug that thing in and get busy.

I just traded my mpk 49 for an m-audio 88 pro.... its just a midi controller it doesn't do anything special... people like it because of the pads like the mpc but i really didn't see anything special about it... oh yeah and it has semi weighted keys...lol

Back