Ableton Live is on sale right now for 33% off

I've looked for the same functionality in Logic to no avail. At least no one can tell/show me it can be done. I'm starting to think on Mac, I'm just gonna need my own seperate loop editor. But i've looked for one that can do the same stuff and found nothing.

I just want something equivalent to FL's Edison or Sonar's loop editor where I can make a loop, timestretch and pitch it to an exact tempo without causing choppiness. I don't think I'm asking for much, but i'm starting to beleive it may not exsist.

That entire intro on the beat I referenced was one loop timestretched to the tempo of the song to give you an idea of what I want to be able to do. I couldn't have got it precise without being able to play the loop back so i could hear how it looped around to make sure it was fluent.

Recycle does this in a way, but once you adjust tempo everything goes to crap.

Right, live can do that.
Just loop the section of the audio you're warping, and you can play back while you're doing it.
I haven't tried edison or sonar, so can't really be too sure, but if I understand you right you want to:

1. play a loop
2. edit timing while listening to what you're doing affects the audio
3. edit pitch with the same condition as above

You can do this by:

1. Do like I explained above, find the first beat, and make it 1.1.1, then line it up with the grid in ableton
2. Loop as long a loop as you would want
3. Warp it so that it fits the loop like I explained above (warp markers are the yellow ones that come when you double click, this will pin that point in the audio to that time, so you can adjust timings in between independantly, the grey ones (transients) wil move)
4. adjust pitch with transpose controls in the audio window

From what I know this is basically the way its done in live. Hopefully this helped.

The reason why I'm not posting vids is that I don't have the time atm to go look through videos checking to see which explains what, and if it's any good or not. There is by no means a lack of ableton vids out there.
If my posts arent helping you then just ignore them.

I've looked for the same functionality in Logic to no avail. At least no one can tell/show me it can be done. I'm starting to think on Mac, I'm just gonna need my own seperate loop editor. But i've looked for one that can do the same stuff and found nothing.

I just want something equivalent to FL's Edison or Sonar's loop editor where I can make a loop, timestretch and pitch it to an exact tempo without causing choppiness. I don't think I'm asking for much, but i'm starting to beleive it may not exsist.

That entire intro on the beat I referenced was one loop timestretched to the tempo of the song to give you an idea of what I want to be able to do. I couldn't have got it precise without being able to play the loop back so i could hear how it looped around to make sure it was fluent.

Recycle does this in a way, but once you adjust tempo everything goes to crap.
That's what warping is actually all about. I am in the beginning stages of a free course on Live dubspot is doing you may want to check it out too if you are really interested.
Ableton | Dubspot

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

You can do it with longer loops, 1 bar was just an example. The only difference is you need to move the last warp marker to the corresponding place on the timeline.

As for the chops, depending on if you need ti warp the sample or not:

warping: just do as mentioned above up until dragging the last warp marker to the corresponding place.
Insert warp markers where you want each chop to start.
Right click the sample and choose "slice to new midi track"
This will open a new menu, where you can choose slice by warp markers or something like that. Alternatively you can slice half notes and so on.

This will result in a new midi track where you have the slices loaded onto a drumrack. You can make different presets for how this should behave, I know there is a videotutorial for setting it up like a mpc.
I could find that if you want.

I understand what you mean with not wanting a choppy sound, I prefer fluent sounding samples too. But I guess in the end you're gonna have to adjust some parameters whether its in audio or midi. All that is really accessible in the drum rack if you ask me.

If you prefer manipulating audio for sampling, ableton isn't the right choice imo. But to me, the sampling is very efficient and flexible when you get to it.

Beat was bumping too ;)

datsnork

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

To move stuff from session view to arrangement you have several options:

1. you can record it in, hit the record on the transport, and then just play the clips like you want them

2. mark those you want, click and drag, hit tab, and place (what I usually do)

3. Mark what you want, hit ctrl+c, and then ctrl+v to paste in

There are some extra effects too, but I think everything else is the same (dont think there's a track limit or anything like that). The one that springs to mind is amp, which I can't really handle even tho its very simplistic, lol.
The main reason I went suite is for the sampler, the more advanced sampler instrument (as opposed to simpler).
I like to use chromatic sampling alot, and it works wonders for that. So IMO sampler + the extra instruments were worth it. Althought I dont use the stock sound that much. Sampler I use like every single beat though.
awesome thanks I knew it was something so simple i overlooked it

i wish i could buy Ableton's EFFECTS separately from the application...

a LIVE VST effect suite would be right up my alley.

Right, live can do that.
Just loop the section of the audio you're warping, and you can play back while you're doing it.
I haven't tried edison or sonar, so can't really be too sure, but if I understand you right you want to:

1. play a loop

You can do this by:

1. Do like I explained above, find the first beat, and make it 1.1.1, then line it up with the grid in ableton
3. Warp it so that it fits the loop like I explained above (warp markers are the yellow ones that come when you double click, this will pin that point in the audio to that time, so you can adjust timings in between independantly, the grey ones (transients) wil move)

From what I know this is basically the way its done in live. Hopefully this helped.

The reason why I'm not posting vids is that I don't have the time atm to go look through videos checking to see which explains what, and if it's any good or not. There is by no means a lack of ableton vids out there.
Its similar to how sonar works but this works better. I am a Sonar X1 user right now. Load a loop and sonar auto finds the transients but you get all sorts of artifacts and it just is not as smooth as it is in live but the setups are similar.

Another thing I forgot is there are several warp modes to choose from.
I think it's mostly in beats mode out of the box, which I rarely use for anything, and definately not on full on samples.
What you want is complex mode most of the time.

Its the little box next to the volume slider in the audio clip view.

I seen Xabiton on the sonar forum a few times....I was a loyal user to sonar but I got tired of things not being addressed. I had the same issues and the engine just being bulky...you cant move faster than the engine and rewiring there's always something wrong.

Heads up for rewiring with Ableton...It wont let you use vst's if you use rewire as a slave.

Complex and Complex Pro are the better stretching algorithms for bad artifacts...also having mono samples can help decrease artifacts..if stereo isn't necessary.

Right, live can do that.

1. play a loop

You can do this by:

Downloading the demo to give this a shot. If it works you may have just got Ableton a new customer. :cheers:

After trying the lite demo version of Ableton a while back, i don't really care for the session view, but :cheers: to those who like it and are taking advantage of the sale.

I seen Xabiton on the sonar forum a few times....I was a loyal user to sonar but I got tired of things not being addressed. I had the same issues and the engine just being bulky...you cant move faster than the engine and rewiring there's always something wrong.

Heads up for rewiring with Ableton...It wont let you use vst's if you use rewire as a slave.

Complex and Complex Pro are the better stretching algorithms for bad artifacts...also having mono samples can help decrease artifacts..if stereo isn't necessary.
The plan is to drop Sonar if for nothing else at the creation stage. I use 3rd party mixing plugs so I am not overly worried about the stuff that comes with Sonar for the most part. I think the only plug I use that comes with Sonar is the sonitus delay but I have the GS 201 that can replace it

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

After trying the lite demo version of Ableton a while back, i don't really care for the session view, but :cheers: to those who like it and are taking advantage of the sale.
The session view is one of my favorite parts.

Quick question: Are dubspot offering free courses online? :O

Just found it. That's ****in awesomesweet! I've been following dubspot on youtube for a long while now, they have alot of good tutorials that go pretty deep into ableton.

Last edited:
I'd even go as far as to say that if you're not gonna use it, you might as well go for some other DAW. It's what makes Live what it is.
I agree, after kind of learning my way around Cubase as my first DAW, Live feels wierd

The plan is to drop Sonar if for nothing else at the creation stage. I use 3rd party mixing plugs so I am not overly worried about the stuff that comes with Sonar for the most part. I think the only plug I use that comes with Sonar is the sonitus delay but I have the GS 201 that can replace it

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

The session view is one of my favorite parts.
Yeah thats sort of what I do...I use one daw as the creative/sketchpad side and use another to mix etc in my case Reaper. I also work itb a lot, but I bounce everything to audio more for backup purposes than anything.

I'd even go as far as to say that if you're not gonna use it, you might as well go for some other DAW. It's what makes Live what it is.

Theres a few things that keep me stuck on it...

I like the fact for example if you record a 2 bar loop and decide to make a 8 bar loop for the next instrument....you don't need to go and make the 2 bar loop as long as the 8 bar you get a seamless loop in as long as you use multiples of 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256 etc. No other daw works like that. That makes it possible to record huge parts without worry that the other instruments will stop it just keeps going.

The ease of warp markers..Ive gotten some of the most toughest and sloppiest samples to play nice.

Drum Racks...If you have something like battery you would probably ditch it for Drum Racks.

Sampler is like the NNXT on steroids lol.

Also something I recently started doing...If you have your browser set to your projects folder you can go in and collapse the projects of what they consisted of...so its easy to recycle your melodies and drums...everything will be in sync with the current project.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying the standard version of Live. Operator looks cool I may grab it later but I think the standard stuff should be fine at least until Live 9 drops

Run it with what?

I'd just use pro tools, but even their loop editing and timestretch functions are a hassle.

I still enjoy Acid Pro 90% of the time FL Studio 10%

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

but here is a little more advice... get yourself a akai apc 20/40 or a novation launchpad...

I acctually got the apc40 not too long ago, and haven't been able to incorporate it that much into production.
It's cool though, I've been wanting to get into djing, and it seems like a really awesome tool for that.

I've seen numerous vids with the launchpad, and I really can't for the life of me understand how it works xD It's probably easier when you get your hands on it though. Seems like it's capable of incredible stuff even with the limited amount of actual controls.
So if anyone is interested in getting one of these for production I'd recommend checking out what that could do in the studio, as opposed to the apcs.

Back