Ableton Live is on sale right now for 33% off

if i was you, i'd stay with Sonar, but buy the Ableton license for cheap, then SELL IT.

why leave Sonar? just because Ableton is on sale? that's kinda wack (if you ask me)

I been trying to get into an OSX program for making beats. I'm forced to tolerate Reason 6 or run FL in VMWare fusion. I really wish I could get into Ableton, but the demo kinda loses me. Like why does everyone make sampling and making a loop within the program such a task? Is that an exclusive to FL thing?

^^^Prolly my next move. I'm turning this mac into a home computer for the kids and getting me a super PC for music that won't clash with Pro Tools compatability...

or I can go back to using Sonar. liked it better anyway, lol.

Last edited:
if i was you, i'd stay with Sonar, but buy the Ableton license for cheap, then SELL IT.

why leave Sonar? just because Ableton is on sale? that's kinda wack (if you ask me)
naw I am having issues with Sonar mostly rewire related and I have been interested in getting back into Live but never made the jump. I have used Sonar off and on since 2005 and its always been a love hate thing. Love it when its working right and I love their features that they try to implement but at the same time when stability or normal functions that used to work that do not work now happen and they are essential to how I make music then something has to change. I am a cheap ass I don't just buy shit to have it (especially music tools because I could still get down in just Reason if I wanted to) but for this its a matter of wanting to work a certain way. Sonar is awesome with 64 bit vsts though.
I been trying to get into an OSX program for making beats. I'm forced to tolerate Reason 6 or run FL in VMWare fusion. I really wish I could get into Ableton, but the demo kinda loses me. Like why does everyone make sampling and making a loop within the program such a task? Is that an exclusive to FL thing?
Yeah the demo can do that to people. To me its amazingly simple that is what I have always liked about Live. FL studio never made much sense to me and I have always had the same feelings about it. Its like I can use it and do some stuff with it but it took me a while to really pick up on it to do average stuff that I learned within a few minutes in most other DAWs.

I've heard some rumours of a new version on the way, this might be a signal its not too far away.
Im guessing most people will wait for a stable version either way though.

Just throwing it out there

So...what's hard about this in Live?

Everything from where i stand. I've asked up here before, but if anyone can find vid tutorials on how to take a full song, chop a loop(while hearing it loop so you know your chop is clean)and putting it in a song(I do understand that part if the loop is done in something else) I'd buy Ableton right now. That's the part I'm not getting.

Everything from where i stand. I've asked up here before, but if anyone can find vid tutorials on how to take a full song, chop a loop(while hearing it loop so you know your chop is clean)and putting it in a song(I do understand that part if the loop is done in something else) I'd buy Ableton right now. That's the part I'm not getting.

If you want to take a 1-bar loop this shouldnt be that hard, and chops are the easiest I've seen too.

Find the first beat in the bar you want to loop, set a warp marker by doubleclicking in the timeline above the sample.
Find the beat where your loop ends, make a warp marker.
Right click on the first warp marker and select "set 1.1.1 here".
Drag the last warp marker so it fits with the timeline, ie if its 1 bar of music you drag it to the 2 in the timeline.
Adjust timing inside the clip to taste with warp markers.

It might sound like a long list, but it's really straight forward, and if you can pinpoint starting and endpoints you should have it done in 10 secs or so.

If I misunderstood something or you were talking about chops let me know.

datsnork

^^^So you can't hear loops back in realtime while editting to make sure your chops are clean? And do the same with more than 1 bar loops?

Everyone produces different. I sample in a very intricate way. Same reason I never used Recycle and always needed another loop editor in Reason.

I may want to sample an 8 bar loop and cut/rearrange the entire thing to the point all that makes the song is a bar worth of stuff cut from all over the place, but have the entire 8 bar loop as an intro. I'm gonna need those samples fluent, I don't like a choppy sound.

Example: SoundClick artist: Phuk'dup Beats - Can't think of anything cool to type here.

I'd just like the ability to do all this on anything on OSX. I'm tired of relying on FL for it. Pro Tools does alright, but it's timestretch plugs can sound choppy and take forever to analyze sometimes. On PC FL and Sonar both did what I'm asking easily.

Last edited:
A lot of it is very straight forward but 2 things that really stump me right now is how do I get my stuff from the session view to the arrangement view to make a full song out of it? The session view is really what is selling me on Live anyway I have always liked the idea of it. 2nd when taking a loop how can I get it to auto chop it into even parts and spread it out across several keys of midi. I hear its something to do with audio to midi for drum racks but I don't quite get it.

Find the first beat in the bar you want to loop, set a warp marker by doubleclicking in the timeline above the sample.
Find the beat where your loop ends, make a warp marker.
Right click on the first warp marker and select "set 1.1.1 here".
Drag the last warp marker so it fits with the timeline, ie if its 1 bar of music you drag it to the 2 in the timeline.
Adjust timing inside the clip to taste with warp markers.

It might sound like a long list, but it's really straight forward, and if you can pinpoint starting and endpoints you should have it done in 10 secs or so.

if anyone can find vid tutorials on how to take a full song, chop a loop(while hearing it loop so you know your chop is clean)and putting it in a song(I do understand that part if the loop is done in something else) I'd buy Ableton right now

somebody MISSED the big-bold red; and decided to lay out TEXT...

...classic...
:4theloveofgod:

:topicclosed:

Also is the only difference between the Suite and the standard the extra instruments? Are there any new features included? Just curious I will probably get the suite anyway but I really don't care about the extra instruments

You can do it with longer loops, 1 bar was just an example. The only difference is you need to move the last warp marker to the corresponding place on the timeline.

As for the chops, depending on if you need ti warp the sample or not:

warping: just do as mentioned above up until dragging the last warp marker to the corresponding place.
Insert warp markers where you want each chop to start.
Right click the sample and choose "slice to new midi track"
This will open a new menu, where you can choose slice by warp markers or something like that. Alternatively you can slice half notes and so on.

This will result in a new midi track where you have the slices loaded onto a drumrack. You can make different presets for how this should behave, I know there is a videotutorial for setting it up like a mpc.
I could find that if you want.

I understand what you mean with not wanting a choppy sound, I prefer fluent sounding samples too. But I guess in the end you're gonna have to adjust some parameters whether its in audio or midi. All that is really accessible in the drum rack if you ask me.

If you prefer manipulating audio for sampling, ableton isn't the right choice imo. But to me, the sampling is very efficient and flexible when you get to it.

Beat was bumping too ;)

datsnork

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

To move stuff from session view to arrangement you have several options:

1. you can record it in, hit the record on the transport, and then just play the clips like you want them

2. mark those you want, click and drag, hit tab, and place (what I usually do)

3. Mark what you want, hit ctrl+c, and then ctrl+v to paste in

There are some extra effects too, but I think everything else is the same (dont think there's a track limit or anything like that). The one that springs to mind is amp, which I can't really handle even tho its very simplistic, lol.
The main reason I went suite is for the sampler, the more advanced sampler instrument (as opposed to simpler).
I like to use chromatic sampling alot, and it works wonders for that. So IMO sampler + the extra instruments were worth it. Althought I dont use the stock sound that much. Sampler I use like every single beat though.

Back