What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

Bananasass said:
Hahaha, dude stop making yourself look ridiculous. It's obvious that thread doesn't prove anything. Zero, nada proof... so get real man.

As for your feature list, there's a bunch of things that is very possible on the MV already. In some cases I'm not even talking about work-arounds.

Jahrome's Feature request list:
1. Instrument/Keygroup programs
-Already in there, but as you're not very specific here I'm not sure what you mean.

2. Insert effects/dynamics in the recording/sampling menu
-Using plug-ins and so on really expands the effects options of the MV a lot. Look into it man.

3. DAW-style Mixer Channel Strip
-There is a good mixer in the MV; including standard channel strips.

4. Independent Loop settings for each track
-What you need that for? Just chop it up, do whatever you want with it. I surely don't need independent loop settings for each track.

8. JJ style Sample Chopping w/ scrolling cursor
-Not sure what you mean with JJ style sample chopping, as there's a whole bunch of sample chopping options in there, but the scrolling cursor is coming. Don't ask me when as it was promised a long time ago already. Still waiting for that, but it's not like it's 100% needed, it would only make things slightly more comfortable.

9. Improved preview function: synth patches and imported hard disk tracks
- I hear you on this one, but the preview function ain't that bad when you make sure you KNOW your sample database. In the end it's not taking that much time.

10. Add reverse and alternating as loop options
-Obviously already in there when it comes to samples; good thing you can bounce entire songs and loops to a new wav file. Import those back in again and get crazy creative. Don't forget the whole phrase sampling part of the MV either, it has tons of options in there. Tiny fraction of what's possible viewable here; ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MK8I5CIjqY&NR=1 )

You see, there's a whole bunch of power inside the MV... if you know how to handle it properly. There have been things and questions of you all around the net proving you never ever owned an MV. That's fine with me, heck I don't care at all. But if you're truly interested in the differences, then stop pretending and do yo research.

I have learned the best way to do research is doing research first hand. There's more the MV can do that the MPC5K can't, but I don't want you to take my words for granted, just dig into it yourself! You said you got plenty of money, so.. just go ahead and buy it. Buy it secondhand if you've got doubts, these machines still sell for great money if you ever want to get rid of it anyways.

Based upon what you decribed, the MV doesn't have any of those features minus the keygroup sampler.

1. Keygroup sampler (already in the MV list)
2. MV doesn't have this
3. The MVs channel strip is not like a DAW
4. The MV doesn't have this. This is a Triton feature that is highly regarded
5. The MV doesn't have this
6. The MV doesn't have this
7. The MV doesn't have this
8. Sorry, the MV doesn't chop like JJ. Do some research.
9. The MV shipped with no way to preview anything...not even samples
10. The MV doesn't have this

If there is more the MV can do that the MPC 5K can't, than post it. This thread is for MV users to talk about features that they use everyday that is not possible in an MPC 5K.

So far, I only have this list:
1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync (realtime timestretch & pitch shift)
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 sample files and jpeg and bit map files
4. Mastering Suite/Multi-band compression
5. 3-band EQ for each part and audio track
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool
8. Non-MIDI audio phrase – 16 banks
9. Split-note function which seperates parts to seperate tracks
10. A single multi-effects processor with superior sound (subjective)

I love the psychology of this thread. Jahrome is still asking MV user to defend their machine against features that don't exist in fashion on the stillborn mpc-5000.

Real MV features vs Jahromes Vapor list!

1. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
2. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
3. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
4. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
5. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
6. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
7. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
8. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
9. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
10. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!

Stop being a coward and post your list!

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
I love the psychology of this thread. Jahrome is still asking MV user to defend their machine against features that don't exist in fashion on the stillborn mpc-5000.

Real MV features vs Jahromes Vapor list!

1. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
2. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
3. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
4. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
5. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
6. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
7. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
8. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
9. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!
10. MPC-5000 doesn't have this!

Stop being a coward and post your list!

haha my turn to cosign :cheers:

Hypothetical Question: Do you need an MV8800 or an MPC5000 to make YamahaPSRCasiotone beats?

Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand why you all are still hashing this ridiculous BS out? I mean who really gives a flying fuk what you or the next guy uses? You make heat or you don't! I don't care if you do it with Fruity Loops 4.0 and an old ass casio keyboard. if it knocks, it knocks!

All of you are bordering on ridiculous with all of this shiet! I mean, I use what I like and what makes my flow better and my music easier to make and/or more fun to make, with the obvious sound quality concerns that we all have, but why should we argue about what is better? Is this to make yourself feel better about your purchase, is it something you need to defend to yourself? I bought the MPC 5000 and although it has some issues, I like it a lot! Now, the MV is dope too, but just not for me, I am just into MPC's and have done them for so long, I just do not want to spend the time to learn the MV, it may be better for you, but not neccesarily better for me, isn't that the ish that makes the world go round? and make the world more interesting?

Seriously get over yourselves! Quit trying to be right and start trying to get your music to the next level, with whatever tools it takes for you!

Now, I forgot to unsubscribe from this thread a long time ago, that is why I am still getting these e-mail's about this post and I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to say something! I promise though this is it from me, I am unsubscribing right now!

PEACE OUT!

Last edited:
1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

I am glad my vapor-list sparked some emotion. However, it didn't really spark what I was hoping to achieve..which was to uncover more on what is under the hood of the MV. I thought there was more under the hood than what was compiled thus far.

In regards to my MPC 5000 list? It's coming.

jahrome said:
3. The MVs channel strip is not like a DAW
Still, it has everything you need basically though... it's more than enough DAW-like anyways. If you like software better, than just go software. I ain't stopping you, but a fancy channel strip ain't everything man.

8. Sorry, the MV doesn't chop like JJ. Do some research.
Perhaps YOU should be doing the research here... There's tons of option on how to chop, in fact if you know the MV and use it's options to it's fullest it's fast as lightning. What MV did you try again? I don't think you even touched one.

9. The MV shipped with no way to preview anything...not even samples
Get your head out your ass dude, it has a preview version ever since one of the earlier updates. The 8800 obviously DOES have a preview function for just about everything.

Last edited:
I already posted the MV Nation links and threads I created when I used an MV. The MV-8000 users had to wait years for a preview function. That update came in the form of the MV-8800 :cry: There are plenty of threads about this so check for them. This is one of the reasons why I got rid on my MV. While you are doing this research, check out how JJ Chops. No workstation out there is better. Now if you are saying that the MV does this better, please give some specifics. It is exactly like my Fantom G (without the scrolling cursor though). It doesn't do anything special. The MVs mixer channel strip is basic. It is nowhere near a DAW style channel strip.

Anyway..those are just features on my vaporware list. But I am still scrathing my head that these are the only features that MV has that the MPC 5000 doesn't:
1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

Are you telling me this is it?

Also, grow up. Your language is uncalled for. We are just talking about some plastic toys so don't get emotional on me.

jahrome said:
I already posted the MV Nation links and threads I created when I used an MV. The MV-8000 users had to wait years for a preview function. That update came in the form of the MV-8800 :cry:
Actually it didn't came in form of the MV8800. I admit it took some time, but the 8K has preview as well.

I really recommend looking deeper into the MV. Your bias is funny to me, but I understand as most MPC cats have difficulties believing the MV is on a whole different level. Perhaps it's a bit immature, but for me there's no reason to even list all the differences. It's the entire package that gives you more. In my opinion a lot more. It's not an MPC, it's the MV.

Also, grow up. Your language is uncalled for. We are just talking about some plastic toys so don't get emotional on me.
Oh come on. Judged by your behavior I'm probably older than you are. :)

Besides, your socalled vapor list is proof enough of a little hate campaign here. If you weren't so ignorant in some areas and stubborn in other areas, you'd have dropped this whole thing a long time ago.

In fact, personally I'm quite sure you're just looking for reasons to justify your purchase of the MPC5k and aren't serious about the whole comparison.

Anyways, while you're caught up in comparing features and making up wishlists (ain't we all got those btw the world ain't perfect, so what's the point).. I am making some more beats.

Seems you're ignoring quite a bit I've explained.

Last edited:
I already posted the MV Nation links and threads I created when I used an MV. The MV-8000 users had to wait years for a preview function. That update came in the form of the MV-8800.

That's complete BS. Patch preview has been always been available on the 8000 and patch preview while the sequence is playing is both on the MV-8000 and 8800.
Stop making sh!t up. You have never owned an MV-8000.

This post is here to make you feel better about a machine that has failed in features, reliability,functionality, and support. There are so many customer returned/rejected units that Numark is selling the refurbs direct. Customers are still the beta testers of the MPC-5000.

Now Numark is re-re-re-introducing the 5000 because it continues to fail in sales and function. Not because it a bad concept but because it's OS is crippled and underfeatured.

Instead of being a coward with your "defend the MV" stance Rep your unit and post where it's superior in build or features. The MV sells well... which is why you here and other places trying to sell the 5000.
....the problem is that after it's sold the bug box gets returned.

The list could be longer but why should we defend our machine that works over underequiped $2600 bug motel that doesn't just to make some troll feel better. Now that the "early adopter/first vistim" polish has worn off you're looking for other ways to remain important. Pretty pathetic IMO!

Post your list now and stop being a damn coward!

...this is where you make another lame attempt to deflect and retreat.

If you are older than me....act your age then.

Thanks for clearing up the preview function on the MV. But the fact remains, it didn't have preview when it was released. It took Roland forever to add that function. They simply told users to use a PC :)

This intent of this thread was not for me to talk about what I love in an MPC. That thread is coming. It was an opportunity for MV users to talk about its features. But it seems like this is a short conversation. There doesn't appear to be anymore features that the MV has that the MPC 5K doesn't.

You ask what's the point? I would tell you but it would spoil your birthday present :)

Also..let me remind you that I am a consumer of Roland products....just not the MV-8800 (perhaps the upcoming MV-9000). But I do own the Fantom G which overall is far superior than an MV.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
But the fact remains, it didn't have preview when it was released. It took Roland forever to add that function. They simply told users to use a PC :)
Again if don't know what your talking about stop making sh!t up!
WAV and patch previewing have been available since 2.0 back in 2004 almost immediately after the MV's release.

again...

Post your list now and stop being a damn coward!

...this is where you make another lame attempt to deflect and retreat.

I don't really know about what machine is better than what in which aspect..but I will say as a MPC fan the 5000 SUCKS.

I messed with an MV one time..but the learning curve was steep for me only because I am used to the MPC interface when it comes to drum machines. I'm not on the MPC anymore btw, I had a 2000XL.

moyphee said:
Again if don't know what your talking about stop making sh!t up!
WAV and patch previewing have been available since 2.0 back in 2004 almost immediately after the MV's release.

again...

http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2104&hilit=preview

As I wrote earlier...the MV didn't have preview when it was released. You had to use a PC.

While I am still waiting for you to add to the MV list, it would be nice to hear some of your music since you are obviously so passionate about the MV. I would like to hear how BPM sync, pencil tool, and amazing effects bolsters your music.

jahrome said:
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2104&hilit=preview

As I wrote earlier...the MV didn't have preview when it was released. You had to use a PC.

While I am still waiting for you to add to the MV list, it would be nice to hear some of your music since you are obviously so passionate about the MV. I would like to hear how BPM sync, pencil tool, and amazing effects bolsters your music.
He's talking about a patch preview on the PC because the MV did not have a software editor.

As I wrote earlier...You don't know WTH you're talking about. Right now you're grasping to cover your BS when it's apparent that you have never owned the machine. The fact that you don't even understand the context of the very threads you cite proves it.

Post your list and stop running like damn coward!

... another deflection attempt?!?

No. There are numerous threads on this. The MV-8000 did not have preview function..everybody who purchased the MV when it was released knew this. Then someone got creative and came up with a way to do this using a computer. MV users, such as myself, complained about it to Roland and they eventually fixed it.

I don't have to 'deflect' anything where you are concerned. You will wait and read my thread. Good things comes to those that wait.

You should probably be getting better at making music instead of chasing me around the forums....real talk :)

So, we have learned...

It's not OK for the MV to lack a single function upon realease, no matter how quickly addressed by the manufacturer. On the other hand, it is OK for the 5000 to lack working functionality upon release and for the manufacturer to take as long as they wish to address this.

OK, just so we're all clear.

Ohhh this is fun :)

VexaDJ said:
So, we have learned...

It's not OK for the MV to lack a single function upon realease, no matter how quickly addressed by the manufacturer. On the other hand, it is OK for the 5000 to lack working functionality upon release and for the manufacturer to take as long as they wish to address this.

OK, just so we're all clear.

Ohhh this is fun :)

Actually its just the opposite. It appears it is ok for the MV to ship without many functions but not an MPC. The MVs OS 1 is much different than its 3.5 OS. The same is true for the MPC 5000. But I will go into detail about this in another thread.

It seems as if this thread should be locked because I am obviously talking to people that have no experience with the MV. After 4 years of OS updates, the MV doesn't do anything out of the ordinary based upon this list:

1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

jahrome said:
Actually its just the opposite. It appears it is ok for the MV to ship without many functions but not an MPC. The MVs OS 1 is much different than its 3.5 OS. The same is true for the MPC 5000. But I will go into detail about this in another thread.

It seems as if this thread should be locked because I am obviously talking to people that have no experience with the MV. After 4 years of OS updates, the MV doesn't do anything out of the ordinary based upon this list:

The MV was released in 2004 and firmly supported while the 5000 is recent and lacks in several area. According to your logic 5000 victims should wait 5 years after release for their machine to shine because that's how long Roland has had the MV on market. Pathetic.

Stop being a chump and post your list.

It seems as if this thread should be locked because I am obviously talking to people that have no experience with the MV.
.......and you're one of them!

The MV may have been released in 2004 but the big updates didn't come within 6 months of release..didn't come within 1 year of release. It wasn't worth using until OS 3...which has 2-3 years after the MV was sold in stores.

I can agree that I have 'limited' experience with the MV because I got rid of mine because I grew tired of waiting for an OS update and the suggestinon of technical support to use "workarounds." But I assumed creating a thread for "experienced" and "novice" users alike would uncover some amazing functions based upon the numerous MV threads here.

But this is all you can come up with?

1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

Everyone besides you thinks that list is pretty damn impressive, considering the MV is cheaper than the 5K. What would be impressive to you? Does it have to mow lawns? Cut Hair? Make coffee? WHAT??

On that, since you think a list of ten features is not impressive, how about posting a list of thirty features the 5K has that are not in the MV? Surely that can't be hard considering it's soooo much better.

Or even the G, while you're at it. You say it's better than the MV too; how? Has it got ten features the MV hasn't? Twenty? 100?

Now, don't forget to cut up the quote so you can disparage my post in true internet honcho fashion ;)

Back