What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

jahrome said:
That forum is over-moderated.

But back to MPCs and MVs...this thread isn't proof of how little I know about the MV...its proof that the MV users that entered this thread can't come up with more than that list of 10 things that the MV can do that an MPC 5000 can't. I used the MV and read the manual. I could have overlooked something, but it doesn't do much more than what was written in this thread.
Can't? Nope. More like; won't. You did overlook things, in fact for the experienced producer you claim to be you seem to have overlooked the most important thing of all and that's why you're way stuck in thinking gear defines production quality.

If that is not accurate, please share this info.
You need to go out more man and see the world. There's MUCH more info out there about the MV. Check MVNation, check YouTube, check Google, check the Roland sites (all of 'em). Download the latest manual and start digging.

If you think you're done, do the same for your precious MPC5K.

You'll eventually understand how it works.

Juuus Blaaaze !!! He's an MPC user......
Which is why he rocks an MV-8800 nowadays.... you want proof?

What truly makes the mv better then all mps is the ability to hook up a monitor to view and edit sounds as well as sequences.It actually gives u the feel of working with a daw system but still working wit hardware,very innovative.

Yeah, this is often underestimated, but it's why the MV is on a whole different level. In the end the MPC5K and MV are more alike than most people think, but it's huge differences like these that make the MV stand out.

Last edited:
Just Blaze uses an MPC 4000. It is a well known fact. Now recently, he wrote a blog dissing the MPC 5000 and stating his dislike for the MV. Aand now he appears in a Roland sponsored AD indicating he will take another look at the MV? Hmmm. It sounds like him is helping Roland set up the launch for a new MV or something. I can't hate on him for getting his money.

Back to the topic....I guess this thread has ran its course. I thought creating this thread would have produced several dozen features that the MV has that the MPC 5K doesn't (MPC 4000 has over 20 functions the 5K doesn't). You MV users here didn't do a good enough job to sell your discontinued machine.

jahrome said:
Just Blaze uses an MPC 4000. It is a well known fact.
Well know fan-facts or not, Blaze is simply not only using an MPC4000. He's using plenty of software and more than only the MPC4k as hardware.

You guys should really open up your minds more!

You MV users here didn't do a good enough job to sell your discontinued machine.
It (mv8800) is not discontinued. In fact, until not that long ago MV8000 Mk3s were still being made.

The whole point of the general boycott of this thread and the similar thread(s) over at mvnation should be obvious by now.

I got a feeling Roland's gonna drop something new and improved.

Heheh, you'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
This is bullshiet. the dude SCD on the MPC forums talking about "just wait till the next 5k update tee hee hee". And now Just Blaze talking about the next MV. Better not be some ish with keys.

lvngdead said:
This is bullshiet. the dude SCD on the MPC forums talking about "just wait till the next 5k update tee hee hee". And now Just Blaze talking about the next MV. Better not be some ish with keys.

You talk as if a new MV is coming end of this year. It's more than likely still too soon for that.

No doubt Roland is busy doing research and development for a future MV. But don't hold your breath just yet.

Boycott threads :)

Now that's funny. When you don't have anything to say, I guess that is the best thing to do. I noticed that MV users in this thread didn't talk about its filters. How come?

In a few months...you will find that Roland will discontinue the MV-8800 (aka MPC-8000SE) in favor of the MV-9000 or scrap the entire line and focus on the Fantom G. Akai will change its MPC line up to MPC 500, 2500, 5000, and the 5500. And Roger Linn will show you a picture of an MPC 60 with an analog synth built-in.

It sounds like you're trying to paint a gloomy picture for the MV and discourage new users because the 5000 was a stillborn bugbox.

The fact is that the MV old or new works and the 5000- well they're still working on it.

But hey , I think MPC-5000 is destined to be the best $2500 phrase sampler ever!

Stop being a damn coward Jahbronie and post the list that makes the MPC-5000 Phrase Sampler superior to all competitors.

lvngdead said:

Where is Just Blaze talking about a new MV?

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
It sounds like you're trying to paint a gloomy picture for the MV and discourage new users because the 5000 was a stillborn bugbox.

The fact is that the MV old or new works and the 5000- well they're still working on it.

But hey , I think MPC-5000 is destined to be the best $2500 phrase sampler ever!

Stop being a damn coward Jahbronie and post the list that makes the MPC-5000 Phrase Sampler superior to all competitors.

Where is Just Blaze talking about a new MV?

You dudes are so gay (for a lack of a better term). You go back to the MV forums and post links to this thread and snitch to that overbearing moderator. He already told me that some of you went back there and filed complaints. How embarrassing....worked up over protecting your drum machine that is being discontinued in a few months.

I tell you what, you can create a thread similar to this one about the MPC 5000 and I will post the info you desire.

Kid Beats said:
You should read Just Blaze's blog on the MPC 5000 before even thinking about buying it LOL.
It would only matter if your coming form the 4000. Most people who use MP's today use the 2500. I know a few cats who still have their 4000

If you know the dude has your number why would keep fuggin with those dudes over there? There's nobody that doesn't know that you have no other purpose than to gather more NumAkai worshipers.:D

moyphee said:
If you know the dude has your number why would keep fuggin with those dudes over there? There's nobody that doesn't know that you have no other purpose than to gather more NumAkai worshipers.:D

First...I really don't care if you or them get emotional over a drum machine. I already told you to create your own thread about the MPC 5000 if you are tired of waiting for mine. I think the MV is the most powerful drum machine, which is the reason for this thread...to give you all the details which makes it special.

Thinking of special....I came across some more things that the MV has that the MPC 5000 doesn't. :-)rolleyes: ).

1. The MV has its long samples going out of sync in a sequence. You will have to slice a sample into several regions in order for them to keep playing in sync. This is advice giving by Mike Acosta or whatever his name is. You don't have this issue with MPCs that have continuous sample tracks.

2. The MV has an independant filters per sample. It gives you 3 filter options. The MPC 5K is "limited" to 11 filter options.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
Thinking of special....I came across some more things that the MV has that the MPC 5000 doesn't. :-)rolleyes: ).

1. The MV has its long samples going out of sync in a sequence. You will have to slice a sample into several regions in order for them to keep playing in sync. This is advice giving by Mike Acosta or whatever his name is. You don't have this issue with MPCs that have continuous sample tracks.

2. The MV has an independant filters per sample. It gives you 3 filter options. The MPC 5K is "limited" to 11 filter options.

Well there you have it.After 14 pages you finally got the 2 things you have been wanting to share that you think the MPC5K has over the MV...Feels good to get that out there?

Personally I don't care what any name brand or home producer uses,its about what works for me..And for me,its the MV almost every time...

And for the record the MV has 4 filter options.Look in the effects section...

And as for your thread..............
fail.gif

FAIL

^^^ love it " FAIL"! but the MV has way more than 4 filters.
The MV features all 7 filter types of the 5000 and the some!

fail.gif

Don't get too happy Jahbronie!

Audio Tracks only droft when the accapella or wav is not match exactly to the BPM. That not an issue it will occur on any MV , MPC, or DAW. Acosta simply tells you how fix this. if a sample is 100BPM and the sequence is at 100.76 , it's gonna drift over time on any machine including the 1000,2500, and 3500 with continuos sample tracks.

The MPC-5000 DOES NOT HAVE 11 FILTER TYPES. It has only seven. 4 of the "11" are nothing but varinces of the other algorithms. To further your misery the MV has every sing le type listed and a few not present on the 5000.:D

Try again Jahbronie! Go back to MVN and try to fish up some bits to make you fell better about that Numark Masterfece.

Now post that list ya coward. Show the what makes the 3500 the best damn $2500 Phrase Sampler on the market!

I'll start ya off ...Stuck notes that can be addressed by hitting the STOP button 3 times!! The 5000 is indeed a wonderful piece of Sheeeed.
:D

1. The MV only has 3 filters options per sample (HP, LP, BP). That is all. The MPC 5K has 11 filter options per sample (LP, HP, BP, BS, BB, Model 1/2/3, Vocal 1/2/3). The 5K gives you 2,4,6, 8 slope options per sample. The MV doesn't. The 5K gives you a seperate filter ADSR..the MV doesn't. The 5K simply gives you more options and parameters to filters than the MV. Remeber that these filters are per sample and not the global effects that you are talking about.

2. Effects. The filters that you are bragging about are in the effect section of the MV. Only problem is..you only get one multi-effect (with only 4 filter options as you say) on the MV that has to be shared. The 5K also has filters in the effects section (10 of them) that can be used. The 5K has 4 multi effect slots and 2 effects can be added to each slot (repeat..the MV has only 1). So using the MP, you have filters per sample and then you have additional filters in the effects section. The MV DOES NOT give you this flexibility (only one multi effect..again) no matter how you try to sell it. MV users will have to buy a Fantom G to get this flexibility.

3. Stuck notes. Congrats. You found how to stop stuck notes on the 5K, which is pressing Stop button 3 times. This was implemented several years ago in the MPC 1000/2500. The older MPCs had it buried in a menu somewhere. On the MV, you press Shift + Stop button to stop stuck notes from playing. (Don't you feel silly for talking about a common feature in MIDI sequencers).

4. Drifting samples. It is a known fact the MV has timing issues. It is even a sticky in the forum (http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11834) . Users have recorded audio from artists directly into the MV only to have the audio go out of sync. Mike's response was to slice the audio into several pieces to give the MV reference points to get the audio locked. You do not have to do this with an MPC. And I certainly don't have this issue with any DAW I used (Nuendo, Pro Tools, Logic, DP, etc).

This thread was created for MV users to talk about its features that are better than a 5K but we got side tracked. Please create a seperate thread Pro-5K and post all the wonderful things it does in that respective thread. Please do this without getting emotional. To help you get the thread started, you can write that the MV gives only 16 parts you can add instruments to per song. But the 5K can have up to 64 instruments/programs. You can assign one of these instruments/programs to each track. Even the MPC 1000/2500 gives you this. 16 parts compared to 64? Wow. All those MIDI tracks but your stuck with 16 parts. Now I see why you need so much more memory. You have to keep resampling everything in order to free up parts to add additional instruments to....but don't forget to slice those resampled phrases. You don't want they to start going out of sync.

PS- It seems one must "fish" for things about the MV because the users manual doesn't provide all the info, MV Nation will hide its short comings (by deleting threads/posts), and the MV users that posted in this thread don't appear to know exacty what it can and can't do.

So if there is anything the MV can and the 5K can't..please share this info in the threads. This is not propaganda. This is a fact finding mission. In fact, I am just minutes from ordering an MV 8800 so I can share my findings (as I have done with the 5K).

Last edited:
It doesn't matter where the filters are located or how it's implemented the fact is the 5000 only has seven as I've stated.

from Numakaipro- Filter types: LOW PASS, BAND PASS, HIGH PASS, BAND BOOST, BAND STOP, ANALOG MODELING, VOCAL FORMANT
That's seven jahbronie! You're counting variances of the same filter as new ones!

As far parameter in Quick Edit the 5000 is still short. This what the MV's filter edit looks like and EVERY pad instance has it own ADSR. In fact every filter has a it's own paremeter beyond the simple controls. Check the pick jahbronie ...and that ain't the MFX either.

filterpp3.jpg

2. The MFX is singular hardly an issue. Any sample can be tweaked and resampled. The delay and reverb are independent so it's not a limitation for anyone that knows how tcompletly o use the machine. The MV has all seven filter types and then some. Couple that with fact that the MV can send any signal external or internal through the bass synth. It doesn't matter where they reside they are all there and available.

3. Stuck notes ...with Active Sensing turned on the MV doesn't exerience such problems.

4. If you read thread the "timing issue" is nothing more than users not knowing what they are doing. Most MPC users are used to the confines of 96PPQN with no flexibilty in their quantizing. In fact amongst people who chose to learn the machine there is no "Timing issue". BTW- it's a sticky because newbs kept asking the same question without doing a search.

What Acosta lays out simply applying reference points if there is problem. MesaOne records his boy all the time and as he said, he's never had a problem-Neither have I or most users.

...the MV only 16 parts you can add instruments to per song. But the 5K can have up to 64 instruments/programs. wrong!!!

Sorry Jahbronie
,the MVholds op to 128 patches in the Instrument Library and can be allocated at will.

The only reason you would buy an 8800 ( or say you did) is to continue fishing at MVN and other forums. Dude have got know they see this coming. Save your money and what little dignity you have left and leave that ish alone. The only thing it would prove is that you're overly desperate to justfy your 5000 purchase.

Nobody wants that thing, now get over it!

Back