What the MV-8800 has that the MPC 5K doesn't

Im all for the mpc....but please, it makes us look foolish to call the mpc an advanced sequencer in 2008. Using terms exclusive to the MPC that have been available for Years in other forms, is silly man. Hell, worrying about specs in itself is silly and not really informative overall. Specs are widely available online now. User experience is the one thing you cannot get from the specs which is often where the most insight comes from when discussing gear. Anyhow you have good intentions this is just a useless way to direct those intentions. Its useless to compare or contrast a feature set that may not be pertinent to all users. It would be more eventful to actually get user feedback on HOW people are making use of such features in their daily workflow.

Last edited:
I respect people's right to an opinion. If you feel this thread is worthless..then simply move on and post in the other more informative threads. There are thousands to choose from.

MPC 5K: Yes, it is 2008 and the MPC is still not Cubase or Logic and never will be. But as far as a standalone hardware sequencer it has numerous improvements and features seen in an MPC for the first time. So it is advanced based upon that.

MV-8.8K: This thread remains about what features it has over the 5K. This wasn't merely about specs. This is a thread for actual users to jump in and write about what they love about Roland MV's operating system.

This thread serves several purposes. It allows MV users to brag about their choice and attempts to keep them out of every MPC thread. It also serves as consumer feedback about what people love in these products to help improve the next generation MVs and MPCs.

Last edited:
Back to MV features that are unavailable in the MPC5K:

1. Keymap sampler
2. Audio tracks with BPM sync (realtime timestretch & pitch shift)
3. Import Akai S1000/3000 sample files and jpeg and bit map files
4. Mastering Suite/Multi-band compression
5. 3-band EQ for each part and audio track
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool
8. Non-MIDI audio phrase – 16 banks
9. Split-note function which seperates parts to seperate tracks
10. A single multi-effects processor with superior sound (subjective)

Question...I was playing around with the MV-8800s split note function yesterday at a local store. Now if there was numerous sounds on a given track, does the MV seperate all the sounds and assign them to their own tracks with a push of a button? Or do you have to do each sound individually? I could only do one sound at a time.

jahrome said:
Question...I was playing around with the MV-8800s split note function yesterday at a local store. Now if there was numerous sounds on a given track, does the MV seperate all the sounds and assign them to their own tracks with a push of a button? Or do you have to do each sound individually? I could only do one sound at a time.

Yeah, you can let 'em split to separate tracks. Change the 'Send To' to "Separate tracks by Pitch" that'll do the trick. Make sure you've got the correct settings for the Note Range and Type of note splitting as well tho.

It's a really useful option when you've been jamming around and want to flesh out the ideas into a more workable format and ultimately a full beat.

Peace.

Originally Posted by jahrome

You said you owned the MV before. Split Tracks has been there since the 8000's launch in 03. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Split track function was an MPC 4000 function. Yes, I owned the MV-8000 (there are numerous threads where I talk about my experiences with it) but didn't realize it had that feature. I am not sure how I missed it because I found it on the MV-8800 within minutes and I wasn't even looking for it.

So...any other MV only features or does my list pretty much sum it up? Because with all the MV talk, I would have thought the list would be much longer...

And I have a quick question...MV-8800 has 128 tracks. Can you assign 128 different programs/instruments to each track?

Last edited:
jahrome said:
So...any other MV only features or does my list pretty much sum it up? Because with all the MV talk, I would have thought the list would be much longer...

The MV8800 is a lot cheaper than the MPC5000, so if it has even one feature extra it represents awesome value for money.

If specifications and features are not important then this whole comparison is the most useless waste of cyberspace to ever disgrace the airwaves.

Even worse than Crazy Frog. :mad:

PS Bumping your own thread is like lauging at your own jokes..

VexaDJ said:
The MV8800 is a lot cheaper than the MPC5000, so if it has even one feature extra it represents awesome value for money.

If specifications and features are not important then this whole comparison is the most useless waste of cyberspace to ever disgrace the airwaves.

Even worse than Crazy Frog. :mad:

PS Bumping your own thread is like laughing at your own jokes..

Cosign !!!

Damn good points VexaDJ.

jahrome said:
And I have a quick question...MV-8800 has 128 tracks. Can you assign 128 different programs/instruments to each track?
What exactly are you asking here?

Track 1: Instrument x
Track 2: Instrument x

It goes like that... you can not assign multiple instruments per track if that's what you're asking here.

However (!), there's an obvious work-around as it's possible to 'merge' two instruments into one, provided you're not running out of padbanks when doing this.

If you want two or three instruments on one track, just make a new instrument and import the samples from all three instruments. It takes some effort, but if you'd really want to it's possible.

Seriously though I don't think most people will run out of midi tracks anytime fast. I'd be more concerned about efficient use of the 8 audio tracks. Apart from that, any FX or settings you use on this 'improvised multiple-instrument' track will have it's effect on all the samples you use from that "one" instrument.

Hope this made sense.

Specifications and features ultimately do not matter anyways, because people that own the technically most advanced piece of gear still can make very ****ty beats if they don't have what it takes.

I know plenty of cats that rock a SP-303, 404 or gear like the Yamaha RS7000 and make FAAAAAAAAAAAR better beats than some cats on the new MPC5000, Miko or whatever other vastly overpriced piece of gear when it comes down to music..

After all it's the music that matters most, creativity can overcome most if not all of the technical limitations anyways.

Last edited:
Bananasass said:
What exactly are you asking here?

Track 1: Instrument x
Track 2: Instrument x

It goes like that... you can not assign multiple instruments per track if that's what you're asking here.

What I am asking is simple. Can you load 128 instruments in the MV and assign each instrument to its own track? In this situation, you will have 128 tracks and 128 instruments going.

jahrome said:
What I am asking is simple. Can you load 128 instruments in the MV and assign each instrument to its own track? In this situation, you will have 128 tracks and 128 instruments going.

Of course you can.

Bananasass said:
He never owned one anyways.

http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2085

That was just one of my MV Nation posts when it was my main sampler and the MPC 3000 was my sequencer.

Now...the MV list hasn't grown by much...in fact, we have a similar thread going about what the MPC 4000 has that the 5000 doesn't. The list is twice as long as the MV list.

Currenly we have only 10 features:

1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

With all the reported features of the MV, I would have thought this list would be much longer.

Last edited:
The fact that it's as long as it is makes a better value and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

By the way the 5000 can't be that great when Numark themselves are selling customer rejected units for $1995. AAMOF, virtually every Akai dealer has a supply of customer returned units- and I'm not talking about floor demos .

Why don't you man up and list your 5000's exclusive features rather than continue this bs thread. Start your list dude.

moyphee said:
The fact that it's as long as it is makes a better value and it's a hell of a lot cheaper....

I would actually agree with you if the list had features I couldn't live without. This isn't the case though.

MV-8800 users list:
1. Keymap sampler
6. 10 Band Vocoder
7. Pencil tool

Jahrome's Feature request list:
1. Instrument/Keygroup programs
2. Insert effects/dynamics in the recording/sampling menu
3. DAW-style Mixer Channel Strip
4. Independent Loop settings for each track
5. Auto-cue next sample when creating a sample program
6. Add chords function to Arp Menu
7. Four Q-link banks which will give you access to 16 sliders and 32 knobs w/ control over all MPC parameters
8. JJ style Sample Chopping w/ scrolling cursor
9. Improved preview function: synth patches and imported hard disk tracks
10. Add reverse and alternating as loop options

As you see, these lists are very different. And there are many feature requests from other MPC users that are as good or better than mine.

Getting back on track...the MV has to do more than what you have been writing. 5 years of OS releases and that's it?

Last edited:
jahrome said:
http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2085

That was just one of my MV Nation posts when it was my main sampler and the MPC 3000 was my sequencer.
Hahaha, dude stop making yourself look ridiculous. It's obvious that thread doesn't prove anything. Zero, nada proof... so get real man.

As for your feature list, there's a bunch of things that is very possible on the MV already. In some cases I'm not even talking about work-arounds.

Jahrome's Feature request list:
1. Instrument/Keygroup programs
-Already in there, but as you're not very specific here I'm not sure what you mean.

2. Insert effects/dynamics in the recording/sampling menu
-Using plug-ins and so on really expands the effects options of the MV a lot. Look into it man.

3. DAW-style Mixer Channel Strip
-There is a good mixer in the MV; including standard channel strips.

4. Independent Loop settings for each track
-What you need that for? Just chop it up, do whatever you want with it. I surely don't need independent loop settings for each track.

8. JJ style Sample Chopping w/ scrolling cursor
-Not sure what you mean with JJ style sample chopping, as there's a whole bunch of sample chopping options in there, but the scrolling cursor is coming. Don't ask me when as it was promised a long time ago already. Still waiting for that, but it's not like it's 100% needed, it would only make things slightly more comfortable.

9. Improved preview function: synth patches and imported hard disk tracks
- I hear you on this one, but the preview function ain't that bad when you make sure you KNOW your sample database. In the end it's not taking that much time.

10. Add reverse and alternating as loop options
-Obviously already in there when it comes to samples; good thing you can bounce entire songs and loops to a new wav file. Import those back in again and get crazy creative. Don't forget the whole phrase sampling part of the MV either, it has tons of options in there. Tiny fraction of what's possible viewable here; ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MK8I5CIjqY&NR=1 )

You see, there's a whole bunch of power inside the MV... if you know how to handle it properly. There have been things and questions of you all around the net proving you never ever owned an MV. That's fine with me, heck I don't care at all. But if you're truly interested in the differences, then stop pretending and do yo research.

I have learned the best way to do research is doing research first hand. There's more the MV can do that the MPC5K can't, but I don't want you to take my words for granted, just dig into it yourself! You said you got plenty of money, so.. just go ahead and buy it. Buy it secondhand if you've got doubts, these machines still sell for great money if you ever want to get rid of it anyways.

Last edited:
Independent loop settings for each track would be bad ass.

Are there any MPCs or ohter hardware sequencer/samplers that do this already?

jahrome said:
I would actually agree with you if the list had features I couldn't live without. This isn't the case though.

As you see, these lists are very different. And there are many feature requests from other MPC users that are as good or better than mine.

Getting back on track...the MV has to do more than what you have been writing. 5 years of OS releases and that's it?

You've officially pizzed away any and all credibility. You're comparing REAL features with Jerome's Vapor List.

It's seem that you can live without everything listed being that none of them exist on the 5000! :rolleyes:

BTW-
Roland has added features as well as performed solid maitainence on the MV. Akai has given you 2 bug fixes that make it barely operable. The only new feature is that it doesn't freeze up and die. :)

Man up and post your list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me help you start .....

Customer rejected and factory rewrapped MPC-5000 at only $1995 direct from Akai

Back