The next big EDM genre/ sound?

Seems to be going more towards progressive house. The stuff Zedd has been coming out with is amazing, but my favorite genre however is complextro. It's a great electronic genre in my opinion because I think of it as more than complex electro.. It's complex electronica because it can be hard, heavy electro one minute and then breakdown and then turn into crazy dubstep the next and it has all these hard trancy synth sounds mixed in, it's a pretty versatile genre. I also like it because you get those pleasant synth sounds mixed in with the hard filthy bass sounds.

Big Room will eventually die along with 'progressive-commercial house.' I can't even think to see where it goes next. People want party music and I feel the awful Big Room house really cuts it to the bone. Maybe we'll see a return of french house or nu-disco. Although it doesn't really matter, there will always be genre tracks that make it big regardless of it's scene. Deep is becoming a big thing again.

In the Philippines, people are starting to give some lovin' to Melbourne Bounce. I personally think the sound is annoying, but it's great to see more people in my country enjoying EDM, considering we were once noted for cheesy pop, acoustic, r&b and the occasional alternative rock artists.

I think Bounce will be the new big sound coming through, you can see alot of artist from Melbourne are getting higher and higher on the beatport 100, and it is growing in popularity rapidly.

I'd have to say the whole Melbourne underground genre of artists like Will Sparks, Joel Fletcher, Uberjakd, Slice n Dice etc. are really on the way up at the moment. It's being played all around the world and every week there's bigger and better events both in Australia and throughout Europe/America. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Melbourne bounce? Progressive psytrance with a more poppy sound to it has become increasingly popular over the last few years.

im a big advocate for electro pop. its cool, underground atm. but one day it will come back. its the king of dance. or the queen even.

Electro pop will come back and has already as I previously predicted in dubstep.

Imo EDM it's basically electrohouse, not electronic music. So if we're talking about THAT kind of EDM i think that some new version of dancehall with a big electro touch will be the next big thing in the mainstream, or maybe more dutch crap.

Now, in the real electronic music scene, we passed from minimal, to tech-house, to deep house and nu-disco. House is getting softer and with more melodies, primarily driven by vocals and bass, so if we keep going in that line we'll probably have a funkier house. Or maybe we'll all get tired of that and we'll go back to techno.

im a big advocate for electro pop. its cool, underground atm. but one day it will come back. its the king of dance. or the queen even.

Electro pop will come back and has already as I previously predicted in dubstep.
Electropop has always been famous. Indietronica replaced it, but it's still the good ol' synthpop.

Last edited:
I believe that the next Big sound to come out of the EDM scene is most defiantly the Hardstyle sound the new plucks that are getting added and better synthesizers such as Massive, FM8 are creating amazing Hardtsyle leads. If the Hardstyle scene does not make it in the next 6 months its a FACT that it will be in the next year. I also want to draw some attention to the TRAP and Hip Hop scene and how it is slowly bringing new designs and new sounds biggest new comers to that scene is Robs and Duke.

Well according to "the numbers" deep / tech house is up next for mainstream consumption.
music trends.jpg

Producer2005

I agree. You can slowly hear it creeping in to the whole trap scene. We got these half trap half hardstyle songs now. Even steve aoki and other well known electro artists are beginning to go hardstyle.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if it does a complete take over.

Deep House is making its way into the scene. I believe that the next big thing is going to be Nu-Disco.

Deep house wave is already here and I have never been so stoked. That shits blowing up thanks to Disclosure. :victory:

Nu-disco is blending into the genre. I dont see why it cant be both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well according to "the numbers" deep / tech house is up next for mainstream consumption.
View attachment 42852

How does this work?
Cause it could just be some hipster in his/her bedroom totting up itunes sales of the biggest artist in the scene for each year, which obviously is rubbish.

Also, I swear peak dubstep ought to be higher than electro at least. It was ridiculously big, even people who didn't know anything about any electronic music were talking about dubstep in 2011.

And I love disclosure. They're great.

I heard the chart was released from Beatport based on their sales over the last 10yrs.. Obviously these numbers don't include those who pirating music, but if the majority of DJ's are purchasing their music from Beatport, then this chart probably has some merit as to the transitioning of genres amongst the masses over the years.

Keep in mind, People like Guetta were still really big when Dub hit the scene.. and he was probably under the electro-house umbrella at the time (I know more people during this time that went to go see people like Calvin Harris and Guetta as opposed to Bassnectar, Flux Pavillion, and Skrillex)

Just my thoughts!

I heard the chart was released from Beatport based on their sales over the last 10yrs.. Obviously these numbers don't include those who pirating music, but if the majority of DJ's are purchasing their music from Beatport, then this chart probably has some merit as to the transitioning of genres amongst the masses over the years.

Keep in mind, People like Guetta were still really big when Dub hit the scene.. and he was probably under the electro-house umbrella at the time (I know more people during this time that went to go see people like Calvin Harris and Guetta as opposed to Bassnectar, Flux Pavillion, and Skrillex)

Just my thoughts!

I think that beatport is mostly used by djs, and less by people just buying to listen to on their ipod? There are probably a LOT of kids buying dubstep for themselves rather than to play in a club or whatever.
There's probably a much higher proportion of dubstep sales on itunes, which might screw the results a bit because obviously itunes sell more music than beatport does.

Last edited:
Back