The next big EDM genre/ sound?

now it's all dubstep-influenced trash with "wubs" and "bass" everywhere.

Mind your tongue on this one: before assuming dubstep is what's being played now on US mainstream radio, listen to Skream, Benga, Vex'd. THAT'S dubstep.

If it were up to me hardstyle, but not the rawstyle type even though that will probably never happen. Trap and dubstep seem to be the thing lately but too much of it tires you after a while, I don't think they will really last in the long run.

I agree that the next "big thing" will be a popish style of EDM like some of Zedd's new stuff. However, I think songs by artists like Kaskade and Avicci will rise to popularity (more than they have already)

"Moombahton" seems to be getting popular here in South Africa... Hardstyle is also catching buzz, but it's dying out just as fast as it gets new listeners here. I'd say the posters who said the mother styles will stay at the top are super right in the context of SA

In regards to Hardwell being number one and his music taking over I think its safe to say even Hardwell isnt liking the way EDM is going.... he said it on Armins interview #ASOT

I don't think there will be major changes before at least next year, but Hardstyle is really popular round here (France) and bound to grow, then the imminent "Juke explosion" we've been warned of since 2012, a shift from 80s nostalgia to 90s (so Jungle/Basic D'n'B could come back), maybe someone will come up with an entirely new blend of influences that will blow our minds off ?

I Hate to go by genres! But the only way i can explain this is honestly by genres so i think Hardstyle, Deeper Sounds will take this year no doubt about it.

Big Room House will still be popular for a few years, but Melbourne bounce will come up very fast.

I guess the next big thing would be artists who work both in audio and video, multi disciplinary artists who are tech savy and shoot their own videos or code their own plugins, or apps with audio-visual experiences.

Ohh that's hard to say. trap has recently moved into edm but isn't taking over.
Maybe big room house. But now a days the big room house is so simple with no real melody or groove that I find it boring!
Maybe someone wil come along with some real BIG ROOM HOUSE

Back