The next big EDM genre/ sound?

You know what? I'd be pretty pleased to see Noisia breaking (more) into mainstream. They're pretty big on the european scene, maybe on the US (I have my doubts).

I TOTALLY agree with kesslook: Look to Australia.

Listen to guys like What So Not and Will Sparks and you'll immediately feel the urge to move, which is one of the main components in good music. There are many more artists in Australia doing some amazing work and the world is about to get a didgeridoo slap to the face imo

TOO ALL YOU AMERICANS OUT THERE, PLEASE, OH..PLEASE, STOP REFERRING TO THE BLANKET GENRE AS EDM! Either be more specific in what you mean by EDM, like what is the actual genre you are looking for. It tears me up inside to know that this term exists

TOO ALL YOU AMERICANS OUT THERE, PLEASE, OH..PLEASE, STOP REFERRING TO THE BLANKET GENRE AS EDM! Either be more specific in what you mean by EDM, like what is the actual genre you are looking for. It tears me up inside to know that this term exists

The term has popped up for a number of reasons.. I use it when I am discussing trance, house, etc with someone who doesn't know anything about the scene or the sub genres. It's a lot easier to say "I listen to EDM" as opposed to trying to explain the difference between house, trance, etc when all they listen to is Mumford and Sons and couldn't care about the difference.

In addition, I think the term has come up because all the genres are mixing now in days and it's sometimes difficult to differentiate between the different genres when listening to some songs (AKA a song may have a trance melody at one part, have glitch sounds throughout, and introduce some other elements at the start/ finish). When you have a song like this, what do you say? "Its a progressive-house/ trance mix with some electronic". I'd prefer to tell Mr. Mumford and Sons who has no idea what he's listening to that it's EDM. I could then explain that it is a blanket term as there are many sub-genres.. but I find these individuals tend not to care and just say "it all sounds the same".

It's a lot easier to say "I listen to EDM" as opposed to trying to explain the difference between house, trance, etc when all they listen to is Mumford and Sons and couldn't care about the difference.

I usually just say that it's techno ;o

There's what 5,000 different sub genres? C'mon every time someone uses a new effect a new genre is born. I get the big ones but when you get to the "techno-infused-acid-house-step-bass-hop" type genres it's just rediculous. Just because one producer had his own style and then a thousand people copied it doesn't make it a genre. That's why people say edm. Hip-hop is getting that way too. There's no such thing as style anymore, just sub genres

Last edited:
but I find these individuals tend not to care and just say "it all sounds the same".

I lol-ed a little here, because my father would tell me this when I was listening to heavy metal on a daily basis. He'd say Dream Theater sounds the same as Cannibal Corpse.

There's what 5,000 different sub genres? C'mon every time someone uses a new effect a new genre is born. I get the big ones but when you get to the "techno-infused-acid-house-step-bass-hop" type genres it's just rediculous. Just because one producer had his own style and then a thousand people copied it doesn't make it a genre. Thats why people say edm.

Ive noticed alot of electronic music doesnt seem to count as EDM. EDM seems to mean Electro-House influenced stuff. A "EDM sound". Like Electo-House,Prog-House,new school Dubstep, new school Drum&Bass & that Electro-Hardstyle thingy. They all have that same sound.

Its kind of like pop. You can basically do whatever genre, but make it sound "EDM", if you understand. Like Drum & Bass, theres the stuff before like 2008 or something & then theres the EDM Drum & Bass that sounds almost completely different.

I make electronic music, but dont think theres anything on my SC page that counts as "EDM". None of the tracks have that "EDM Sound".

Hip-hop is getting that way too. There's no such thing as style anymore, just sub genres
Not really. Most times theres only Boombap & Trap. Most of the other sounds have died.

Last edited:
I think the next big genre will be similar to electro house, i mean things like minimal drops (eg: martin garrix - animals) are becoming very popular lately

Last edited:
i personally only like Trance and Progressive House.
Dub-Step was just popular cause it was new and re-freshing but really i dont see grown folks will think its good music.
Trance instead is appreciated by older folks as well i think cause it has such good melodies.

yeah i think that big room house is probably going to be the big next genre, along with minimalist production with lots of bass. it's seems popular electronic music is being broken down to the lowest common denominator as time goes on. in 2014 it's probably just going to be 4 on the floor 303 kicks and that's the song

Mainstream Shamestream. :P

I'm not so concerned where "EDM" is heading.

I think the main question is, where do YOU want it to head? I know what I want to hear, and so I'll make it. haha.

Luckily since I'm attention deficit, that is not one specific genre.

I Love edm, and I love all music, but I think we should let Edm temporarily die until people come up with new stuff that isn't a rebirth or a popularizing of something form the 90s or early 2000s

I Love edm, and I love all music, but I think we should let Edm temporarily die until people come up with new stuff that isn't a rebirth or a popularizing of something form the 90s or early 2000s

If you listen closely to what's happening now, on any genre of your choice, is that things always emulate what has already been done.

I'm also a headbanger, fan of Metallica. They are always saying they want to make another "Master of Puppets". Or that their new songs always sounds like "Master of Puppets". And, you know what? That's what listeners want. They want the sound they already know, so I guess electronic music will always be a revamped version of it's origins.

There are a lots of new stuff, which will be popular in a 1 year or 2. Currently, listeners preffer bangers like Jumper(Hardwell & W&W). You can't predict what's the next big thing.

btw. This music is here to stay, at least ten years. This is not the same thing that happened back in 90's. Currently, I don't see any genre that can surpass EDM. Every genre has its limits, except EDM.

Last edited:
There are a lots of new stuff, which will be popular in a 1 year or 2. Currently, listeners preffer bangers like Jumper(Hardwell & W&W). You can't predict what's the next big thing.

btw. This music is here to stay, at least ten years. This is not the same thing that happened back in 90's. Currently, I don't see any genre that can surpass EDM. Every genre has its limits, except EDM.

Is EDM a genre now?

Is EDM a genre now?
Let's say it's a group of genres. A lot of people calls EDM a genre today. Even some of the best DJ/producers says that EDM is a genre.
I wasn't particularly talking about one genre(House, Trance or Techno...). In general, it's all electronic music, right?

Let's say it's a group of genres. A lot of people calls EDM a genre today. Even some of the best DJ/producers says that EDM is a genre.
I wasn't particularly talking about one genre(House, Trance or Techno...). In general, it's all electronic music, right?

Yeah, I know that man. My comment was a bit of sarcastic.

Everyone thinks EDM is a genre per se, but it's not. The term "EDM" is normally used by people to qualify those electro-influenced styles that are mainstream now.

If you say to some old-school Dnb, trance or house Djs their music is "EDM", you're going to have a bad time.

Edm had a brief period this year with artist like Skream and Daft Punk revisiting stuff from the early 2000's, 90's, and even the Disco Era in Daft Punks attempt to bring life to this music. Kaskade even released a few tracks going back to his earlier sound. I don't think any genres were birth in the 90's, but when I said that I was actually referring to electronic music of the 90's and not other musics.

The way I see it as an Instrumentalist, Theorist, and Electronic artist Edm is one of the most limited genres. Electronic has existed since disco died around the late 70s and early 80s, but in it's current state of EDM I feel its VERY limited.

1) Primarily Major 3rd Chords
2) Primarily 4x4 (not as in the rythmn , but mainly the kicks and stuff we know and love)
3) These days LOTS of PRESETS
4) Mainly Major keys

I think "Dance" music will always existed, but as far as EDM I don't see how you can experiment with it much before it becomes IDM or some variation of Downtempo or Ambient. This to me will hand on influence to music, but it will be sacrificed.

When it comes to Rock, Country, Jazz, and many other genres they all can be adapted and fused with more stuff than specifically EDM. Electronic music has a wide range of adaptability, but lets not forget EDM is not the only brand of Electronic music, and I think people forget that a lot.

True adaptable forms of Electronic to me include Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Ambient, IDM, and a bunch of other things on the more experimental side, but EDM I don't think is even made to adapt its made for the moment, and not for the future.

This is what EDM appears to be the moment, and not the future.

Back