Leasing beats and other scams.

I think the problem is some producers don't make songs, just beats. they don't know that a song is more than just a beat. so when some producers say that the artist is using THEIR beat, i usually bite my tongue. To me a song is a collaborative effort, it belongs to everyone involve. It's more than just a beat. but I guess that separates the internet producers and real producers.

And now days where producers are a dime a dozen, and nobody cares about producers. I'm shocked that some people still think that the beat is everything.

FYI, Songwriters are the new producers. some people might want to catch up to current times.

Don't get offended. but let me ask you this:

Do you use split sheets?

I'm just trying to sort through all this internet bullshyt and get to the bottom of this. I ain't trying to attack anybody.

You keep saying that yet at the same time you continue to basically call people that lease beats scammers!!!??

I think the problem is some producers don't make songs, just beats. they don't know that a song is more than just a beat. so when some producers say that the artist is using THEIR beat, i usually bite my tongue. To me a song is a collaborative effort, it belongs to everyone involve. It's more than just a beat. but I guess that separates the internet producers and real producers.

And now days where producers are a dime a dozen, and nobody cares about producers. I'm shocked that some people still think that the beat is everything.

FYI, Songwriters are the new producers. some people might want to catch up to current times.

the lines between producers, beatmakers, and songwriters are so blurred that all of that is pretty much irrelevant

Now you are getting to the real issue.

Most beat producers are songwriters

Most beat producers are NOT producers in the traditional sense.

the lines between producers, beatmakers, and songwriters are so blurred that all of that is pretty much irrelevant

They should be blurred. lol. if they are blurred, that means you are working on songs and it's not about the beat vs artist. It's about making a good record.

But for some people (the internet producer) there is no blur, they just make a mediocre beat and post it on their website, soundclick, or myspace. all they know is the beat, and that is all they care about. I guess some producers who lease beats fall into this category.

Let me ask you this question:

Do you see any benefit for an up and coming artist to use lease beats?

If not what should an up and coming atist do who has limited resources($$$)?

Everybody claims there broke but mofos can go out and spend 1000's on clothes and rims.

Here's the truth...They don't value you and They know you broke because of what you charge.

I can't walk into Footlocker and get some Jordan's for $20. If I want and value the product I will save the asking price...

The beatmaking game is so watered down...:confused:

Stay in School kids and don't mess up your credit.

Never say Cash never gave you anything.

Don't get offended. but let me ask you this:

Do you use split sheets?

I'm just trying to sort through all this internet bullshyt and get to the bottom of this. I ain't trying to attack anybody. so don't take shots at me or I'll do the same, and then we both don't learn anything.

I use split sheets for collaborative efforts...such as co-writing and co-production.

But for straight non-exclusive licensing, I have a standard agreement, with the terms spelled out in plain english.

Split sheets don't guarantee you any money, because there's no guarantee the song will sell, and no real recourse for getting your money off sales.

So what does a split sheet have to non-exclusive licenses?

yep, this is true. and leasing yourself doesn't help.

Pricing is about supply and demand. You can't charge more than what the market will support.

Just because you charge .99 cents lease doesn't mean you're broke...and just because you charge $1000 exlcusive doesn't mean people will buy the beats.

I use split sheets for collaborative efforts...such as co-writing and co-production.

But for straight non-exclusive licensing, I have a standard agreement, with the terms spelled out in plain english.

Split sheets don't guarantee you any money, because there's no guarantee the song will sell, and no real recourse for getting your money off sales.

So what does a split sheet have to non-exclusive licenses?

what does leasing have to do with nonexclusive licenses?

So you don't use split sheets when working with artist?

true split sheets don't guarantee you money, but they do guarantee you publishing if the song goes anywhere.

I still think leases are not only a terrible idea for the beatmaker, but also ethically gray.

Pricing is about supply and demand. You can't charge more than what the market will support.

Just because you charge .99 cents lease doesn't mean you're broke...and just because you charge $1000 exlcusive doesn't mean people will buy the beats.

you are right, charging 99 cents doesn't mean that a person is broke. It just means that person doesn't value their work. and if the person doesn't value their work, why should anyone else.

If someone has to sell beats for 99 cents, that means that they are no good. and should take time to better their craft and learn how the real world sells songs.

So here is a question to the "REAL" producers:

Do you feel threatened by beat producers?

Does their pricing hurt your business?

So basically you're saying Hip Hop beats have little to no value just like items you find at a .99 cent store?

Btw...How beats have you sold for .99 cent...LOL...Brotha Please.

You think David Foster or Dr.Dre are in the leasing business... Hell NO!

They paid there dues by creating timeless music and developing artist.

They have value. People pay for value ($$$$)

Man I paid more money yesterday for my family's Christmas Tree because I saw THE VALUE in it over the other ones.

.99...cent NO VALUE brotha Troupe

Last edited:
So basically you're saying Hip Hop beats have little to no value just like items you find at a .99 cent store?

Btw...How beats have you sold for .99 cent...LOL...Brotha Please.

You think David Foster or Dr.Dre are in the leasing business... Hell NO!

They paid there dues by creating timeless music and developing artist.

They have value. People pay for value ($$$$)

Man I paid more money yesterday for my family's Christmas Tree because I saw THE VALUE in it over the other ones.

.99...cent NO VALUE brotha Troupe

Tell that to my bank account. :cheers:

what does leasing have to do with nonexclusive licenses?

So you don't use split sheets when working with artist?

true split sheets don't guarantee you money, but they do guarantee you publishing if the song goes anywhere.

I still think leases are not only a terrible idea for the beatmaker, but also ethically gray.

What guarantees me publishing is the AGREEMENT that the purchaser agrees to when they license a track from me.

It's called a contract.

And what are the correct "ethics" on music licensing, according to you?

So here is a question to the "REAL" producers:

Do you feel threatened by beat producers?

Does their pricing hurt your business?

as a producer, i don't care. I want every producer to lease beats and all that. you know let my enemies fight each other off.

but as a consultant, yes half ass producers can mess up my money. If I come across a hot record and then I push the record and get the record placed, or the artist singed then later find out that it was leased. yes that will fvck up my money. then I would need to jump through hoops to fix the situation.

man I don't feel with trying to convince you to do anything. keep up what you are doing. I don't care, just don't fvck shyt up for others. keep doing your hustles. just stay away from the real world. keep it on industry sound and soundclick.

I'm going to stick with my splits and getting people placements, so they can collect real publishing. you can stick with your hustles and leasing tracks on soundclick.

Back