Leasing beats and other scams.

That's what a scam is.

licensing is far different than what you are doing. what you are doing is trying to license something to the co-owner.

I'm even more convinced this is a scam. no offense to anyone. but i think i'm starting to figure out how bad this pool of misinformation really is. I don't think many people are intentionally trying to scam someone, I think it's because people don't know better. no offense to anyone.

a scam is : a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

this is not a fraudlant scheme and noone is getting swindled. The terms are clearly laid out when selling a lease and both parties are under a mutual agreement.. Everyone leases in all the levels.

Think about how artist sell the same single millions of times through itunes, jingle placements, movies, albums ext....

theres millions of major label artists who do the same thing though

like who?

name a major label artist that leases beats, excluding Universal. Universal signs anyone and everyone willing to give them a check, if you want to be signed. Track down a Universal rep and give them a check.

That car lease example isn't analogous because you don't lease the same car to multiple people at the same time. There's only 1 car.

I don't mess with Soundclick and leasing game, but a good majority of the rappers that record at my studio use beats off of Soundclick. The main reason for them is because it's low risk. They don't have to spend a lot (or anything at all) to test a record.

A lot of times, they just use the free downloads or rip a stream, then come record their track. If they like and the people they show it to like it, they'll buy a lease and start to promote. If the record is accepted and they wanna try and blow it up, they go buy the exclusive. If the record flops (which is what usually happens) they didn't spend and arm and a leg. They can afford to let the weak tracks go and just record new ones.

Imagine if you paid a shytload a money for a Timbaland beat, got in the studio and knocked out the record. Everybody in the room is feeling the track. Then you go out and try to break the record and it falls flat on it's face. Well, you just lost out on a big investment.

That Timbo track would be like getting an exclusive off of Soundclick before testing the record.

That's the thinking of the rappers that record at my spot. I could be wrong about the reasons other people do it, but this is what I'm aware of.

like who?

name a major label artist that leases beats, excluding Universal. Universal signs anyone and everyone willing to give them a check, if you want to be signed. Track down a Universal rep and give them a check.

it just recently happened with the Drake "forever" track. The guy had leased it to Drake and another artist who I can't remember.

oh and lupe fiasco just recently leased/used a Vybe Beatz track on his new mixtape.

Last edited:
a scam is : a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

this is not a fraudlant scheme and noone is getting swindled. The terms are clearly laid out when selling a lease and both parties are under a mutual agreement.. Everyone leases in all the levels.

Think about how artist sell the same single millions of times through itunes, jingle placements, movies, albums ext....

it is a confidence game!!!! perfect phrase for it!!!!!

The artists are totally getting swindled, and these so called producers are telling them sweet nothings. telling them, that it's cheaper, and everyone is doing it. IT A SCAM!!!!

I'm not talking about licensing, I'm talking about leasing beats. 2 very different things. how can you license part of a song to the other songwriters? seriously, this is a scam

Kane Beatz is another dude who was heavy on soundclick, Johnny Juliano (Wiz Khalifa singles), Vybe Beatz (All The Way Turnt Up), a bunch of producers.., Best Kept Secret (Wale)

it just recently happened with the Drake "forever" track. The guy had leased it to Drake and another artist who I can't remember.

oh and lupe fiasco just recently leased/used a Vybe Beatz track on his new mixtape.

Can you get more info on this please? It sounds like hearsay, i would like to investigate further. thanks

it is a confidence game!!!! perfect phrase for it!!!!!

The artists are totally getting swindled, and these so called producers are telling them sweet nothings. telling them, that it's cheaper, and everyone is doing it. IT A SCAM!!!!

I'm not talking about licensing, I'm talking about leasing beats. 2 very different things. how can you license part of a song to the other songwriters? seriously, this is a scam

both parties come to a mutual agreement. i feel where you are coming from. alot of producers don't feel like it's ethically correct to do this.

but i have to pay bills jejejeje

The Forever track was produced by Boi-1da and Kardinal had also recorded to it.

Leasing a track for Demostration purposes whether its private (industry/corporation reps) or public (social networks, websites etc...) is perfectly fine as long as the terms are spelled out in the paperwork and all parties are in agreement. End of story.

Now if you want to argue whether its a good business strategy for the artists then that's cool but lets through out the 'scam' terminology because its not applicable in this scenario whatsoever. Its very important to learn how to critique without resorting to discrediting...

i def see where you would think its a scam, and actually the more i think about it.. it does seem a lil messed up

me personally id rather just sell somebody a beat for cheap, than to keep on selling it over and over again, but thats me

when u put it on paper, because an artist can only sell a song once, but a producer can sell the beat many many times, but it is what it is

There's an example I can think of with this happening on a major release. Game/50 put out Hate It or Love It and on the Breakthrough album, Mary J Blige used the same Cool and Dre beat to record "MJB the MVP." In the situation tho, I believe all the songwriters agreed to let her use it. It wasn't simply at the discretion of Cool and Dre.

in my book anything that is ethically questionable, is considered a scam.

for instance. My apartment complex has a great scam, it's legal, but it's still a scam. I'm charged a separate utility bill for water, gas, trash, etc everything except for electricity. All on one bill, but the utility company is owned by the properties parent company. so I'm paying for the companies utilities, (even off property) to the same company with a markup. A brilliant scam, ethically grey. but a scam.

That's what a scam is.

licensing is far different than what you are doing. what you are doing is trying to license something to the co-owner.

I'm even more convinced this is a scam. no offense to anyone. but i think i'm starting to figure out how bad this pool of misinformation really is. I don't think many people are intentionally trying to scam someone, I think it's because people don't know better. no offense to anyone.

dude...are u serious?? c'mon now.

How is me licensing a track, for non-exclusive use in an MTV show, any different than me licensing a track, for non-exclusive use, for an artist on his album??

They paid me to use my work in their works, in both cases. They DON'T OWN my track, but they DO OWN the resulting work, be it a tv show, or a song.

You get a lil shout out in some liner notes, and you get your ass on your shoulders.

Fall back homie.

Don't get offended. but let me ask you this:

Do you use split sheets?

I'm just trying to sort through all this internet bullshyt and get to the bottom of this. I ain't trying to attack anybody. so don't take shots at me or I'll do the same, and then we both don't learn anything.

Back