Leasing beats and other scams.

Troup been lying and running circles around these 12-15 yrs olds on this board for years.

Damn Troup...were's those bank statements big homie.

Ya'll be easy...I have to get some more lights for the tree.

I wonder if Walmart is selling .99 cent beats up there.

I'll let you guys know.

Take care,
Cash

Dwells,

I do believe there is a difference between a beat and a song. I notice you interchange the terms.

two artist can come up with two different songs using the same beat.

The artist then owns the part he changed. In other words if he would sing his song acapella he owes nobody a red cent because that is his creation.

But if he uses the beat for his song the beat producer owns 50% or whatever the contract states.

I get the feeling that when people(these beatmakers) started using the term LEASE they didn't really understand the full definition of the term, legal implications, etc.

It's like renting a beat? like an apartment lease? like a car lease?
I don't think its a scam, I just think its people not understanding what exactly they are doing when they lease something.

Producers don't force anyone to buy beats.

Even if it is a "Scam", the Rapper paid money for the beat either way.Its kinda like people who buy knock off "Gucci Bags" on purpose to look cool and save money, is it the merchants fault for selling a knock off product?, or the buyer who wants a look-a-like Gucci bag? without paying top dollar.

Producers don't force anyone to buy beats.

Even if it is a "Scam", the Rapper paid money for the beat either way.Its kinda like people who buy knock off "Gucci Bags" on purpose to look cool and save money, is it the merchants fault for selling a knock off product?, or the buyer who wants a look-a-like Gucci bag? without paying top dollar.

Very good point!!

The artist then owns the part he changed. In other words if he would sing his song acapella he owes nobody a red cent because that is his creation.

actually it doesn't work that way. the original songwriter can claim that the new 'song' is derived from their work and therefore entitled to a split. publishing can be very complicated, and leasing just makes a big mess out of publising.

I guess if no one ever plans on getting pub, it's fine.

Last edited:
Very good point!!

I personally feel, a beat shouldn't be in the hands of more than one person...but some Rappers aren't trying to be the next BIG RAP STAR, some like my cousin, are just doing it as a hobby, and just want a cool rap beat to rhyme over thats not an industry beat. I see nothing wrong with that. I also feel that, when producers LEASES a beat, its just a MP3 of the beat. When you purchase an EXCLUSIVE, you usually get the project files and stems, to take to a professional studio, since most Rappers who buy EXCLUSIVES, are trying to put out an album.

I agree with dwells about the issues that leasing can cause, that why I personally don't do it. I've been hit up for "leases" but have turned them away for the sake of complications with the "future" exclusive rights owner.

I don't knock anybodys hustle and if it works for you, get it how you live. I prefer to sell beats exclusively, get credits, and retain a publishing percentage....a custom split sheet per se. Nice and simple.

I agree with dwells about the issues that leasing can cause, that why I personally don't do it. I've been hit up for "leases" but have turned them away for the sake of complications with the "future" exclusive rights owner.

I don't knock anybodys hustle and if it works for you, get it how you live. I prefer to sell beats exclusively, get credits, and retain a publishing percentage....a custom split sheet per se. Nice and simple.

I think leases should be the price of an Itunes song, since essentially, thats what you are getting, an audio file. I don't rap, so I cant speak, but I AM A BEAT HEAD, I could listen to just BEATS all day, I wouldn't mind paying a buck for a beat, to listen to.

The downside is, the beat will be in many peoples hands now.

Its a really hard subject to debate, at the end of the day, this is basically a personal preference. Depends on the Consumer mind state. Not really a scam though.

okay, if all terms are pointed out and the beat is cheap, like 5 bucks or under, I think it's fine, not a scam.

Like dude said, it's like buying a song off of itunes.

but if someone is trying to charge $50, then it gets kind of gray.

You lease because people on soundclick dont do anything major they buy the beat put it on the mixtape no one hears it then the beatmaker sells it again and it repeats no one gets screwed cuz these rappers were never gonna do anything anyway they atleast got a god price on it and the beatmaker gets to sell it more times.

WIN WIN

You lease because people on soundclick dont do anything major they buy the beat put it on the mixtape no one hears it then the beatmaker sells it again and it repeats no one gets screwed cuz these rappers were never gonna do anything anyway they atleast got a god price on it and the beatmaker gets to sell it more times.

WIN WIN

That is the general understanding but what most fail to understand is that no one really knows what is to be the next big hit or where the next big hit comes from.

It can start off as a throwaway track but grow to be a successful placement because it landed in the right hands..(take for instance the "friends" theme song, by The Rembrandt's or Gieco's theme song by Mysto and Pizzi.)

Having 20 "online leases" floating around can and will cause complications when and if it falls into the right hands......

i know what licensing is. I'm trying to figure out what people like troup do. they license the song to the artist and the other songwriters. that is why I'm confused. how do you license something to the co-owner? that is what I have a problem with. that is why I think it's shady.

If i make a beat called PLATINUM BEAT. I AM THE OWNER OF THAT BEAT. I can license that beat to who I want.

Now...artist comes to me and wants to use PLATINUM BEAT to make a song called PLATINUM SONG. He doesn't have enough money to pay my fee for an EXCLUSIVE LICENSE for PLATINUM BEAT, so he opts for the lesser expensive NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE for PLATINUM BEAT.

Artist agrees to the terms set forth for the non-exclusive license for PLATINUM BEAT. The license basically states...

1) You may make a song containing PLATINUM BEAT
2) You may sell the song that you've made containing PLATINUM BEAT
3) You do not have to pay any additional fees or royalties for any sales up to 50,000 units sold, of the song (or project containing) made from PLATINUM BEAT
4) If and when you do sell over 50,000 copies of song you made from PLATINUM BEAT, you agree to a pre-set royalty/publishing structure.

Artist takes PLATINUM BEAT, and makes PLATINUM SONG...artist copyrights PLATINUM SONG, crediting the proper parties.

So what is the problem? I don't get the confusion.

Artist is indeed co-owner of the SONG that he creates from the beat. And he pays an up front LICENSING FEE, to be able to make a SONG out of that BEAT.

If he copyrights the resulting SONG, so what. That SONG is different than the song someone else will make and copyright from the same BEAT. 2 different copyrights.

I'm not charging a co-owner a licensing fee.

^^^^^^
I agree with troup posts

I dont see what the confusion or big deal is.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the general understanding but what most fail to understand is that no one really knows what is to be the next big hit or where the next big hit comes from.

It can start off as a throwaway track but grow to be a successful placement because it landed in the right hands..(take for instance the "friends" theme song, by The Rembrandt's or Gieco's theme song by Mysto and Pizzi.)

Having 20 "online leases" floating around can and will cause complications when and if it falls into the right hands......

that's what I was trying to say. well said.

Why not? That's still much cheaper than $3000 exclusive licenses.

$3000? seriously? maybe for you? but most people who do leases aren't charging that much for a beat. Usually $50-500, I doubt more. But if you are getting 3 stacks for a beat good for you.

All you needed to say that 99cent beats are no different than selling stuff on itunes, or even $5. that makes perfect sense and I fold. Who ever mention that made a very good point that allowed me to view this leasing stuff through new eyes.

Back