Leasing beats and other scams.

as a producer, i don't care. I want every producer to lease beats and all that. you know let my enemies fight each other off.

but as a consultant, yes half ass producers can mess up my money. If I come across a hot record and then I push the record and get the record placed, or the artist singed then later find out that it was leased. yes that will fvck up my money. then I would need to jump through hoops to fix the situation.

Me thinks you gotta revise your contract than.

Appendix A: If the beat you used is a non-exlusive leased beat you will owe me $xxxx.xx for wasting my time :D

Last edited:
So here is a question to the "REAL" producers:

Do you feel threatened by beat producers?

Does their pricing hurt your business?

I just thought of this analogy when I read that...

Beat Producers - Fast food. You get something for cheap. That's it, do with it what you will. If you know someone that can turn that value meal into a gourmet meal then more power to you, ya got a deal.

Real producer - If you serious about dinner, and want to sit down, take your time and have a nice evening, you go to a sit-down restaurant. They take care of you, ask you if you want more water an sh*t.

Then you got people who do both, that's called the curbside to-go service.

Not the greatest analogy, but it fits. I'm not saying all beat producers serve crap, it's more the level of service, yo. Real producers shouldn't have to worry about beat producers because although they may offer similar products, they offer different levels of service.

And much like you crave a nice meal after eating fast food for a long time, eventually people make the move up to a nice dinner once in a while. Then they gotta open up the wallet and tip. 20% fools.

This a touchy-touchy subject huh? Personally I don't believe non of you mofos until I see bank statements. Black out act info and post up.

Stop filling these kids heads with nonsense Troup.

Having a soundclick with a pretty layout means nothing in the real world.

I have to take a line from Dwells : Results Matter

Last edited:
I'm not saying all beat producers serve crap, it's more the level of service, yo. Real producers shouldn't have to worry about beat producers because although they may offer similar products, they offer different levels of service.

Good point. That is why I said earlier, If an artist is ready to get an album done he/she should work with a real producer.

If they are just testing the waters, getting demos ready than I see no problem with going the lease route.

DWells if i know a Joe Shmo from round the corner whos just a hobbyist, just wanna make music for the hood, impress some girls, just basically fuk around. Im gonna lease him beats for $20 a pop, STATE THE TERMS SO HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS BUYING, and i keep it moving. Hes not serious in this music $hit so y am i gonna give him exculsive rights to my good beats when his average raps aint bein heard outside a 5 mile radius nor does he have that type of paper. I can then get that beat into a hands of a serious artist who gonna actually do something with it and sell it exclusively and i'll actually get paid the right amount for my work.

thats basically my logic in this thing.

leasing is actually non exclusively licensing a beat. (and not a song).
you can do that legally since you are not licensing a song but rather song "material".
the state of the market would prolly show that leasing doesn't have a strong incidence.
View it as a way to promote yourself while getting money for that promotion.

in a sense it's a scam but even with several 9/5 people couldnot afford the prices otherwise. And if the

man I don't feel with trying to convince you to do anything. keep up what you are doing. I don't care, just don't fvck shyt up for others. keep doing your hustles. just stay away from the real world. keep it on industry sound and soundclick.

I'm going to stick with my splits and getting people placements, so they can collect real publishing. you can stick with your hustles and leasing tracks on soundclick.

I LIVE to fcuk siht up for others. That's my job. My job is to make my product and my way of doing business SO FAR SUPERIOR to yours, that you go sell meat door to door, because that's the only way you can make money.

My prices have nothing to do with the quality of my work. And if you think it does, then put up or shut up. I'll put you to shame. Excluding NOBODY.

But i digress. If someone elses business can mess up your business, then your business sucks. Period.

For Music on a big scale, it's a scam.

But leasing beats is an opportunity for the "beatmaker/producer" to get paid and get some promotion from an indie/unsigned pov.

It's an opportunity for an artists on a a very low budget to get heard, get a following if he is good and if his beat selection is good.

Anyway, I don't think you can really be comfortable in this industry on a mere 9/5 nowadays, especially if you got a family. Gear is expensive, studio sessions is expensive... Producers are expensive.

So it's not exactly a scam... Everything has its purpose...

I'm still confused as to how it's a scam...

Producer - Hey artist...you can use my beat for your song at a much lower price, but other people still have the right to use the same beat.

Artist - Okay cool...I get a hot beat, i get to stay below my budget, and I get to make a hot song. Cool.

What's wrong with that?

Oh wait...there's some unwritten law that says only one person per beat.

Dwells, u make yourself sound more and more amateur all the time. I don't get it. You're this big industry guy, but yet you act like u don't know the simple concept of non-exclusive licensing.

This a touchy-touchy subject huh? Personally I don't believe non of you mofos until I see bank statements. Black out act info and post up.

Stop filling these kids heads with nonsense Troup.

Having a soundclick with a pretty layout means nothing in the real world.

I have to take a line from Dwells : Results Matter

Nonsense??

C'mon son.

I sell my music for .99 cents, non exclusive. The exact same way as every single major label artist does.

But for some reason, it's different, right? And for some reason, I'm wrong for doing that.

I'm making more money, right now, off my .99 cent products, than at any point in my career.

People are HAPPY with my products, and about 85% of my sales are from RETURN CUSTOMERS.

Get a superior product...then come talk to me.

Nonsense??

C'mon son.

I sell my music for .99 cents, non exclusive. The exact same way as every single major label artist does.

But for some reason, it's different, right? And for some reason, I'm wrong for doing that.

I'm making more money, right now, off my .99 cent products, than at any point in my career.

People are HAPPY with my products, and about 85% of my sales are from RETURN CUSTOMERS.

Get a superior product...then come talk to me.

Well I'm talking to you...How's the bank statement coming along?

Post up or shut up.

Everybody on this board got hot beats brotha.

And...

i know what licensing is. I'm trying to figure out what people like troup do. they license the song to the artist and the other songwriters. that is why I'm confused. how do you license something to the co-owner? that is what I have a problem with. that is why I think it's shady.

Nobody wants to hear this or that...

Just prove it or keep it moving.

It's real easy to do. Go to your Online banking, print screen so we all can see how lucrative selling beats for 99 pennies is.

To all the kids on this board...I'm sorry...It's not that easy. You have to really work...HARD!

Twitter and Soundclick or any website for that matter doesn't mean working really hard.

Last edited:
pretty much the closest thing i can relate it to, is a sample cd. but with more restrictions and a time limit.

the funny thing is galaticboy brought up a good point in another thread. when you lease something, you give up ALL rights for the duration.

I'm confused because the know-nots are trying to do business like they know. I'm trying to figure out why some things are fvcked up. For me to fix the mess, it's easier for me if I know how the mess was created. so excuse my ignorance on doing business the wrong way.

Nobody wants to hear this or that...

Just prove it or keep it moving.

It's real easy to do. Go to your Online banking, print screen so we all can see how lucrative selling beats for 99 pennies is.

To all the kids on this board...I'm sorry...It's not that easy. You have to really work...HARD!

Twitter and Soundclick or any website for that matter doesn't mean working really hard.

yeah, but troup as a day job. he's an IT guy. I believe.

not like there is anything wrong with that, I think more people should get a dayjob. but the problems is when someone claims to be making lots of money from something that they don't make money in.

I LIVE to fcuk siht up for others. That's my job. My job is to make my product and my way of doing business SO FAR SUPERIOR to yours, that you go sell meat door to door, because that's the only way you can make money.

My prices have nothing to do with the quality of my work. And if you think it does, then put up or shut up. I'll put you to shame. Excluding NOBODY.

But i digress. If someone elses business can mess up your business, then your business sucks. Period.

okay, prove it.

what's your discography. who have you worked with? I'm talking about stuff people can look up. Like you said, Put up or shut up. I know my credentials, what are yours?

who cares how much money troup makes from his site? i never understood why it bothers folks, if he says he makes money from it, then so be it.

i dont get why people care, i believe troup makes a lot of money from it, cause i see dudes selling tons of beats for 10 bucks to local cats, so for a buck, im sure he gets a lot of buisiness.. life changing money? who knows, who cares.. but im sure hes making money from it

its easy to make money from it, if u got the product and demand from it.

never understood FP's concern with tryna see Troup fail, or clown the idea... cats give people beats for free.. but nobody says anything, troup sells beats for a buck.. and its a problem..

its crazy

Back