Is Reason 6.0 Worth it?

It's on and poppin now, Reason 6.5 is coming with 3rd party companies giving Rack Extensions to Reason, it's equivalent to VST, or Au plugins to DAWS. Now cats can stop complaining about VSTs. U-He has just jumped aboard, Soft Tube also and Korg, so you know it's going to be a good year.

Reasons a great program, but as we have reviewed 50 ****ING TIMES, DAW's are all about personal preference.

Last edited:
what these Reason fanboi do not understand is that Maschine can load vst/i... there are tons of vst/i that will "kill" the devices in Reason... simple as that!!! with vst/i support the sky is the limit... you can have as many devices as you can afford... with Reason the limit is the number of devices... you do the math!!!!
Your a idiot if you work with reason instead of "buying" expensive VST's and being lazy, you can actually make them within the racks. Shit just with thor you can make almost any sound imaginable within a combinater if you know what your doing. And hey heres a bonus your actually learning something instead of throwing money down for someone else to make that "gnarly" synth or bass your so stoked on getting. I think Reason is limitless in a sense, VST's arnt that great. And yes its well worth the upgrade, just waiting for 6.5 to come out!

And on top of that, Reason does let you just focus on making music because of the fact that you're forced to work within the program. I know people that buy a DAW, load it up with a 20 VST's and then just sit there staring at their screen. Too many options isn't always a good thing. Most plugins are gimmicky anyway, and yes Reason can do what most of them can.

Your a idiot if you work with reason instead of "buying" expensive VST's and being lazy, you can actually make them within the racks. Shit just with thor you can make almost any sound imaginable within a combinater if you know what your doing. And hey heres a bonus your actually learning something instead of throwing money down for someone else to make that "gnarly" synth or bass your so stoked on getting. I think Reason is limitless in a sense, VST's arnt that great. And yes its well worth the upgrade, just waiting for 6.5 to come out!

I like that LOL
The funny thing though if one has VSTi's and a Mac, one can record right into Reason using a program mixer called AU lab which is on every Mac software disc. It allows you outputs from the channel mixer into the inputs of Reason so you can record from your favorite Software into Reason flawlessly.

What some of these hating on Reason retards never talk about is how much these VST's by 3rd party will drain your CPU. I would love to see a person open up 30 wave reverbs on a normal computer because most can't afford top blown out computers and see what happens. Reason you can open up a gazillion freakin devices all day with out worries. Now with the new Rack Extensions it's going to be crazy because they won't use the same coding as VSTi's/VSTs will use so it will be great on CPU as a great stability notion that was from the very beginning. These same retards don't get it some people just don't wanna do anything outside of Reason anymore and I am one of them. I use Protools now as a melody scratch pad I don't use it for mixing or nothing, all my music goes through the SSL 9000K in Reason, screw Avid, and the boat she rode in on and any other program. Reason has the sweetest freakin sequencer since the MPC imo and it's even better than the MPC to me. Reason goes up to 64T the MPC only goes up to 32T, editing in Reason is way better than the MPC so these same retards don't mention the good points of Reason always on some negative nonsense and keep saying the same thing over and over and over again. They talk like they have the hottest tracks, well I would love to hear some tracks from these same people, because they talk a real good one lets see if their music reflects every bit of how the talk.

Good point made.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

LAZY????

for the record... there are some individuals where the "actual" music is more important than creating "combinators"... in my opinion... there is nothing musically about creating "combinators"... another point... most who talk that creating "combinators" sh!t... does not know how many sharps are in a C# scale... personally... i like to know more about the "actual" music than the sound creation sh!t!!!

secondly... the vsti i use are east/west composer bundle w/ minster of rock and silk, komplete ultimate 8, specstrasonic suite (omnisphere, trillian, stylus rmx) and halion sonic... while individuals are making/creating "combinators"... i am focusing on the actual music...

plus... Reason's devices cant touch the above vsti... plus... as far as sound design/creating goes.... there is nothing in Reason that can touch Reaktor...

i own Reason 6.0!!!

about the expensive vsti... we use what we can afford...

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

RE is not equivalent to VST... the only thing they have in common is the concept... the RE protocol is not as powerful or lacking compared to the vsti protocol... the developer at U-HE has said so himself!!!

RE is equivalent to VSTs as RE is made by 3rd party companies and so are VSTi'/s!!!

So since you know all this C# scale and all that, then LET US HERE SOME OF THIS MUSIC YOU USE WITH EASTWEST COMPLETE COMPOSERS COLLECTION!!! I have it also, since you're doing all this talking lets hear some of your music. I have EW, Omnisphere, Titan, Nexus 2, Sylenth etc, and I got the music to back my ish up. You talk a hellava good game but where IS YOUR MUSIC!!! If you got the hottest dam VSTi's on the planet your music should reflect that!!!! I don't listen to people that talk but don't walk what they talk!!!! So all that dam knowing this scale and this and that. I don't read music at all, I know triads, progression, some scales, chords, and lil sumin sumin but I don't know how to read music yet I can compose a whole dam song arranged from beginning to end. I can play piano also and I don't read a lick of music, what I hear in my head I can play it, that's a blessing so if I hear or make up a melody all I do is find the right instrument and go. So if you can read and have all these wonderful toys that means you should have 1 up over me because I have all those programs you have and you know it, because you seen it on video. So WHERE IS YOUR MUSIC TO PROVE ALL THIS CRAP THAT YOU SPEWING?
If you have no music maybe you should stop calling people fanboi's and get on your job and make some freakin music instead of telling people what or what is or what they shouldn't get.

I guess you do not like the Rack Extentions?
I never said I didn't like them. My reply was to the people saying Reason wasn't as good as other programs because of it's lack of VST support.

Rack Extensions is an awesome idea that will open up even more possibilities, but my point is that it's not needed.

Last edited:
I never said I didn't like them. My reply was to the people saying Reason wasn't as good as other programs because of it's lack of VST support.

Rack Extensions is an awesome idea that will open up even more possibilities, but my point is that it's not needed.

Profound answer !!!! Reason is the second best seller behind Avid and it's growing in the major studios and it's great in the home recording with sales also.

Damn this thread is getting out of control. Let me just put it this way...

If you can't make hot shit with what you have, then you're not gonna make hot shit with all the vst's in the world. Reason has everything you need --and I'm saying this as a hardcore Ableton user-- so the fact that someone needs <insert flavor of the month vst synth here> just goes to show that they're still looking for that magic plugin that lets them press this button, twist that knob, push one key and...

BOOM!

Instant classic and you're up on stage accepting your artist of year award before getting your thunder stolen by Kanye West.

Pete Rock, DJ Premiere, RZA, etc didn't need vsts and Reason is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what they had to work with.

I think reason, 5 or 6, doesn't matter wich, is the best program. You can make all kind of music styles, and the samplers are awesome!

Man i wouldn't even waste my time with Reason because they're behind all daws!! You can make some beats with it but once you get advanced you're going to get frustrated with it! I would move on to bigger daws now Reason is a dead end! They not gone upgrade till they feel like upgrading,no matter how many users complain,i don't understand it. I use logic now but Reason used to be my go to tool but i got tired of waiting for midi out. I'm trying to master midi out things in logic that dudes who use other daws with midi out have been doing for years. So by me sticking to using Reason as my main daw I'm behind,you will be too if you keep using it peace.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

You aint missing shit dude lol!

I'm trying to master midi out things in logic that dudes who use other daws with midi out have been doing for years. So by me sticking to using Reason as my main daw I'm behind,you will be too if you keep using it peace.

Why are you concerned with what other people are doing? If he's comfortable with Reason than he should stick with it. Midi is good if you have that piece of outboard gear you just can't live without. So if he doesn't have anything like that then midi out is pointless. Google Olivia Broadfield, Ivan Shopov, AudioUK and you'll see that Reason can do anything you want it to do. Seriously dude, Madlib used an SP-303 to make his beats so what does that tell you? Master what you have and just do you, don't worry about what other people are doing.

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Why are you concerned with what other people are doing? If he's comfortable with Reason than he should stick with it. Midi is good if you have that piece of outboard gear you just can't live without. So if he doesn't have anything like that then midi out is pointless. Google Olivia Broadfield, Ivan Shopov, AudioUK and you'll see that Reason can do anything you want it to do. Seriously dude, Madlib used an SP-303 to make his beats so what does that tell you? Master what you have and just do you, don't worry about what other people are doing.

Dude ask is it worth it and i gave him my opinion. Reason is a toy with a lot of limits period! Can you make beats with it yes but i knew a dude who use to beat on his desk and it was some of the hardest drum patterns i've heard,but will he take it to the studio hell no! **** what you saying reason is a toy dude!! If dude happens to want real vsts/au,midi out,fader grouping,real wave editing using reason his ****ed period! Reason can't **** with any of the real daws right now PERIOD!! The thing is only a bunch of NOOBs rely on reason. Real pro's use other daws i respect dudes who use anything but that shitty ass Reason period!!! Only a bunch of fanboys use that shit,then they sit by and wait and wait and wait for feature that have been in most other daws for years.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

And on top of that, Reason does let you just focus on making music because of the fact that you're forced to work within the program. I know people that buy a DAW, load it up with a 20 VST's and then just sit there staring at their screen. Too many options isn't always a good thing. Most plugins are gimmicky anyway, and yes Reason can do what most of them can.

That's the dumbest shit i ever read lol! You say reason can do it all what in reason is like Sculpture? Logic destroys Reason hands down dude!

i take it... you are not the only one that does not want to be like... Olivia Broadfield, Ivan Shopoy, AudioUK!!!

i am with you... i rather be myself!!!

Yo funk can you believe that shit? I'm a hip hop producer who the hell is those people? The hottest hip hop producers right now use FL from what I'm seeing,but like you said I'ma do me and use logic and i'm thinking about getting LIVE or FL.

i take it... you are not the only one that does not want to be like... Olivia Broadfield, Ivan Shopoy, AudioUK!!!
i am with you... i rather be myself!!!

You completely missed my point which is understandable. I used them as examples because they make incredible music and are very successful in their particular genres which is electro-pop, D n' B etc. The point is that if these people are making hits and living the life you want (which is making music and making money with your music) with Reason, and you can't find a way to make it sound good, then the problem is you and not the software. They use Reason and ONLY Reason. And if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for an unknown bedroom producer that obviously lacks creativity. When you have your songs placed in 50+ commercials, used in Grey's Anatomy, 90210, Melrose Place, ends up number 2 in iTunes only to be beaten by Owl City (who also uses Reason) then you can talk about Reason being just a "toy" and not good enough for you.

Want some more examples of people that use Reason? OK:

Afta-1
Flying Lotus
Beastie Boys
Liam Howlett (Prodigy)
DJ Toomp

I've never heard your music before but I'm willing to bet my left nut it doesn't come close to anything DJ Toomp has put out. And yes I know Flying Lotus uses Ableton Live also, but he uses Reason and some outboard gear. Now until you start banging out tracks like any of these people then you really can't say something isn't "good enough" for you and it isn't capable of making good music. You need to be honest with yourself and admit that you're not that good and you need a DAW that will take the guess work out of making art.

Try googling all the people/Reason users I mentioned and look at their setups and accomplishments. Now compare it to yours. See where I'm getting at?

Last edited:

You completely missed my point which is understandable. I used them as examples because they make incredible music and are very successful in their particular genres which is electro-pop, D n' B etc. The point is that if these people are making hits and living the life you want (which is making music and making money with your music) with Reason, and you can't find a way to make it sound good, then the problem is you and not the software. They use Reason and ONLY Reason. And if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for an unknown bedroom producer that obviously lacks creativity. When you have your songs placed in 50+ commercials, used in Grey's Anatomy, 90210, Melrose Place, ends up number 2 in iTunes only to be beaten by Owl City (who also uses Reason) then you can talk about Reason being just a "toy" and not good enough for you.

Want some more examples of people that use Reason? OK:

Afta-1
Flying Lotus
Beastie Boys
Liam Howlett (Prodigy)

I've never heard your music before but I'm willing to bet my left nut it doesn't come close to anything Prodigy has put out. And yes I know Flying Lotus uses Ableton Live also, but he uses Reason and some outboard gear. Now until you start banging out tracks like any of these people then you really can't say something isn't "good enough" for you and it isn't capable of making good music. You need to be honest with yourself and admit that you're not that good and you need a DAW that will take the guess work out of making art.

Try googling all the people/Reason users I mentioned and look at their setups and accomplishments. Now compare it to yours. See where I'm getting at?

I'm from the south we don't bang none of them bullshit producers you just mention! Why would you compare me to big budget producers,let's compare them to big time producers like lex luger and the rest of these trap stars they shit on all those producers who you named using Reason hands down. The top hip hop producers who are getting paid don't use that bullshit REASON trash,you cannot dispute that. It's funny how you fanboys say that we lack creativity just because we don't want to be held back by Reasons limitation lol! To be honest there is nothing complicated in Reason it's a toy period,theres nothing in Reason that can **** with what vst/au can give you PERIOD!

macbeats... how does you left nut hold up to the artist you are talking about -vs- YOU!!!

We're not talking about me, the thread is about Reason 6 and if the OP should upgrade. But if you can't take what I say as sound advice and to just focus on mastering the tools you have instead of following other artists in the hopes that you too can become successful by copying them, then go right ahead. Let us all know how that works out for you.

Also, since all you can do is turn the debate around now that you've obviously painted yourself into a corner that you can't get out of, we can just go ahead and close this thread. My point's been made. Good luck everyone :-)

Last edited:

So your phil

We're not talking about me, the thread is about Reason 6 and if the OP should upgrade. But if you can't take what I say as sound advice and to just focus on mastering the tools you have instead of following other artists in the hopes that you too can become successful by copying them, then go right ahead. Let us all know how that works out for you.

Also, since all you can do is turn the debate around since you've obviously painted yourself into a corner that you can't get out of, we can just go ahead and close this thread. My point's been made. Good luck everyone :-)

So your philosophy is that we should stay blind to new ideas and other daws and just use what we have no matter the short comings of it? Your point hasn't been made at all because no one here gives a shit about those people you mention really! You got producers from the east coast,producers from the west coast and the dirty south who cats respect and they don't use that bullshit REASON PERIOD!!!

Last edited:
Back