DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

In MY opinion if you're describing a super producer as one that can dominate the mainstream landscape with their production regardless of what artist is performing over their tracks then DJ Mustard is the closest thing we have since the "glory days" of your Scott Storches, Lil Jon's, Jazzy Phe, Polow, etc...

Now if you're going by the Yokuzin's definition then the answer is a no, so far

Last edited:
Hit-Boy is the closest thing in my opinion. Can make beats for everybody and come out with a banger. And doing his thing with his HS87 Collective.

Really surpised nobody mentioned Boi-1da. Him (and 40) are the reason we have Drake today. I think people are sleeping on Cardiak alot too.

It's the same old that we've been getting from hip hop for the past 15 years.

It's a RUN.

There's about 7-10 producers that have had a RUN when they hit with a certain sound.

Neptunes.
Lil Jon.
Timbaland.
Swizz.
Kanye.
Jermaine Dupri.

And of course the <insert trap producer here> guys.

Everybody gets a RUN if you keep at it long enough. The trick is, to reinvent your sound, so you get ANOTHER run.

Timbo has really been the only person able to do that, of that list.

I don't see DJ Mustard as being a Super Producer. He's just having a run with his sound. 3 years from now, he won't have a single song on the radio, because people will have moved on from his sound.

Hol up - the Neptunes haven't been able to have a "run"? You do realize they've been making successful hits ever since NORE's SuperThug in '98, right?

I think most people misunderstand what the "super producers" represented and why none of these producers ARE super producers. The fact that most of the super producers were actual "popular" or well know artists themselves eliminates him or any of them from being considered. For example, do we think that Mustard would be able to pull a Lil Jon in the next 10 years? Maybe if he has something to offer other than beats. Where as Lil Jon 10 years from now can pop up with another "Turn Down For What"......he still a super producer to us though, but for people outside of Cubase, Fruity Loops, MPC ect........he is that guy that yells and get you crunk. Teddy Riley is that guy in the group "Guy"...."black Street"...the zoomazoom zoom zoom and a boom boom man......you as a producer are buying equipment since he consigns it, though.

But to keep it short because I can go on all day......beatmakers and producers today don't have a got damn thang to offer today to even be a "super producer". Closest thing to that today in the mainstream realm is Hit Boy who could possibly head in that direction. But you can't name a "super producer" who wasn't an artist also......if so then please name me one.

Better get you rap game up, your hype man skills, hooks and gimmicks and ect....if you ever want to be considered a "super producer". Just do it for the money otherwise.....or you will be that nobody in the party walking up to people as the guy that producer this that went platinum, produced that and it went double platinum, produced this and it went triple platinum......and they still looking at you like "who is you".

Sad......Scott Storch wouldn't have been labeled a super producer if he wasn't a party animal who had a coke problem. There you go yall.....an argument in the making.....MTV had more pull as far as him being labeled "super producer....too bad shows like that can't help Mustard and nem get super producer recognition today.....because they don't exist. Scratch magazine could've helped...but........well.....you know........(SAME ERA OF THE SUPER PRDUCER RIGHT?) Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Rodney Jerkins, Rick Rubin, Brendan O'Brien...just to name a few

you guys hate calling people super producers if theyre not doing complex chord changes

well guess what. neptunes beats were not that complicated.

look up busta rhymes what it is right now

timbaland & magoo. all yall (hell most their songs were just catchy ass 1 bar loops)

scott storch ran the clubs with 1 bar of strings playing the shit out the pitch bend.

didnt make them any more complex or lush.

give credit where its due.
dude took the summer and youre comparing it to shawty redd getting a film placement.

Please tell me this cat didn't just say Timbaland's beats in '98 were simplistic...

His beats from 15 years ago destroy anything I've heard on the radio in the past year.

There are 2 types of producers: the type that respects his craft and learns the foundations of music...and the kind that presses a couple buttons on a computer, but knows nothing of instrumentation.

You cats even bringing Mustard up in the category of "Super Producer" are, imho, the latter.

No self respecting musician/producer would even entertain the thought of Mustard/Luger/Lil Jon as "Super Producers". You young boys make me laugh...thank you!

Thats the thing im not understanding....
Alchemist been on hella albums mixtapes...
Even got his own tapes with artist featuring over his beats....
Been consistent countless years....

But mustard is a super producer....

how is that hard to understand when its clear that Mustard has farrr more hit records alchemist and a bigger following.... just admit that you dont like mustards style of music and keep it moving...

Please tell me this cat didn't just say Timbaland's beats in '98 were simplistic...

His beats from 15 years ago destroy anything I've heard on the radio in the past year.

There are 2 types of producers: the type that respects his craft and learns the foundations of music...and the kind that presses a couple buttons on a computer, but knows nothing of instrumentation.

You cats even bringing Mustard up in the category of "Super Producer" are, imho, the latter.

No self respecting musician/producer would even entertain the thought of Mustard/Luger/Lil Jon as "Super Producers". You young boys make me laugh...thank you!

timberlands beats are pretty simple from the beginning to this day.... about 70% of his beats are breaks that you never heard and samples...... it really is no point to making retardly complex beats if your trying to get an artist to do something with them.... period..... I never got this producer logic.... it never made sense to me

Last edited:
how is that hard to understand when its clear that Mustard has farrr more hit records alchemist and a bigger following.... just admit that you dont like mustards style of music and keep it moving...

You kids nowadays hear a few garbage tracks on the radio geared towards uneducated and ignorant music fans aged 12-25 and think the "producers" are really doing something. I can guarantee you Alchemist makes more money doing one tour DJ'ing for Eminem than all of these "hits" Mustard has.

Point blank simple you MTV cats who think Mustard is a SuperProducer because the wack radio is FORCED to play his songs because his labels PAY TO HAVE HIM PLAYED show you know nothing of the music industry.

Timbaland charges $250,000+ per beat...Mustard doesn't and never will be....there's a reason why.

timberlands beats are pretty simple from the beginning to this day.... about 70% of his beats are breaks that you never heard and samples...... it really is no point to making retardly complex beats if your trying to get an artist to do something with them.... period..... I never got this producer logic.... it never made sense to me

We'll agree to disagree - from our posts I assume that I make beats for a certain type of artist (Timbaland clientele) and you make beats for a different type of artist (Lil Wayne, Ty $, Tyga, Young Thug) and we'll both be happy in the end.

...and Timbaland has an in-house band AND he himself plays piano and guitar and understands musical theory beyond a couple YouTube clips.

You kids nowadays hear a few garbage tracks on the radio geared towards uneducated and ignorant music fans aged 12-25 and think the "producers" are really doing something. I can guarantee you Alchemist makes more money doing one tour DJ'ing for Eminem than all of these "hits" Mustard has.

Point blank simple you MTV cats who think Mustard is a SuperProducer because the wack radio is FORCED to play his songs because his labels PAY TO HAVE HIM PLAYED show you know nothing of the music industry.

Timbaland charges $250,000+ per beat...Mustard doesn't and never will be....there's a reason why.

And here we go, another guy on the boards thinking he's more "educated" than everyone else in music from consumers to the producers who visit this forum. Yet, actually believes Timbaland makes $250k a beat in todays market or ever did beyond a few songs. Also seems to think that the same marketing done for Mustard's tracks wasn't done to the 10th power in the past for guys like Timbo, Nepz, Storch, Dre, ect. Mustards winning on a marketing machine on life support. They were winning when the money was being thrown around, give the young guy some credit.

And here we go, another guy on the boards thinking he's more "educated" than everyone else in music from consumers to the producers who visit this forum. Yet, actually believes Timbaland makes $250k a beat in todays market or ever did beyond a few songs. Also seems to think that the same marketing done for Mustard's tracks wasn't done to the 10th power in the past for guys like Timbo, Nepz, Storch, Dre, ect. Mustards winning on a marketing machine on life support. They were winning when the money was being thrown around, give the young guy some credit.

No, I'm not more educated than "everyone", but at least 90% of the producers who visit the forum.

Yes, producer fees are pretty common knowledge - do a simple Google search or watch a few of the many music documentaries out...the producers themselves openly discuss it from Kanye to Just Blaze to Dre to Timbalanda to Bird Man...this isn't brain surgery.

Do some homework, take pride in your passions and study the millions of resources that are available to us.

I will give Mustard his credit the same way I gave Lil Jon his credit years ago when I also roasted him - they found ways to be successful and I can always appreciate that. But, if we're going to talk opinion on "Super Producers" and musical talent - your maturity, wisdom and, honestly, intelligence are on a different wavelength (and that's fine) than mine and the people I run with.

Even comparing Mustard to Storch, who was originally a keyboardist of the Roots, a Band in EVERY sense of the word, is completely ridiculous to me and really makes me question how some producers define the word "Music".

Take my words for what they are - if you disagree with me pay me no mind. But the only cats I know gassin Mustard up are frat boys who wanna be down and my 13 year old nephews.

If u reread my post... my opnion never stated i dont like mustard....
I was comparing mustard and his time n....
To alchemist and his time n....

to me theres no comparison... f_ck if that nigga sales how many wit whomever....
-how many full albums has he produced....
I dnt got him lasting n still doin what alch is....
For him to be called a super producer at 7:17 today

Last edited:

How many tours do you think Alchemist gets to go on as Eminem's DJ these days. Who's paying Timberland $250k these days for a track? DJ Mustard is a hustler. He's getting bread from a few different sources in this new digital era, I commend him for that in a time where great producers of the past are struggling to make ends meet. This is more about respecting a producer from a business standpoint rather than creatively. Beatmakers and Producers claim to be of the same fraternity but I've noticed alot of jealous and envy actually.

Last edited:
No, I'm not more educated than "everyone", but at least 90% of the producers who visit the forum.

Yes, producer fees are pretty common knowledge - do a simple Google search or watch a few of the many music documentaries out...the producers themselves openly discuss it from Kanye to Just Blaze to Dre to Timbalanda to Bird Man...this isn't brain surgery.

Do some homework, take pride in your passions and study the millions of resources that are available to us.

I will give Mustard his credit the same way I gave Lil Jon his credit years ago when I also roasted him - they found ways to be successful and I can always appreciate that. But, if we're going to talk opinion on "Super Producers" and musical talent - your maturity, wisdom and, honestly, intelligence are on a different wavelength (and that's fine) than mine and the people I run with.

Even comparing Mustard to Storch, who was originally a keyboardist of the Roots, a Band in EVERY sense of the word, is completely ridiculous to me and really makes me question how some producers define the word "Music".

Take my words for what they are - if you disagree with me pay me no mind. But the only cats I know gassin Mustard up are frat boys who wanna be down and my 13 year old nephews.

I never acknowledged Mustard as a "super producer". I personally don't think he's been around long enough, but definitely on his way. Lil Jon, IMO absolutely. Alchemist, not so much, not enough hits(mustard has more already)and even in the realm of "real hip hop"(that doesn't mean shyt when talking "super producers" IMO), he doesn't stack up to guys like Primo, Just Blaze, and Pete Rock who I'd consider the lower tier in the realm of "super producers". It has nothing to do with my opinion of them or my opinion of their music, but the impact they've had through music.

Being that "super producer" is not a definitive word, opinions will vary on what one is. I believe to call one by such a title, they should have left a wide body of work over a period of time that holds a place in people's hearts to this day. Flash in the pans need not apply. Again, all opinions, but....super producers in my mind include Dre, Storch, Timbo, Teddy Riley, Lil Jon, Quincy Jones, Foster & McElroy, Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, LA/Babyface, Rick Rubin, Kanye, Neptunes/Pharell. Guys like Primo and Pete Rock make the cut by the skin of their teeth.

Runners up who don't make the cut IMO include Jeff Bhasker, my all time favorite producer Mike Dean, Cool N Dre, Heatmakers, Tony Kanal, RedOne, BM Cox, JR Rotem(really close though), Mike Will Made It(who has time to do more and change my mind on him), Zaytoven, The Runners, Danjah, Justice League, Erick Sermon(really close, but, nah)...J DILLA(even though I can accept the fact most will consider him one after his death, in life he was not).

Again, all just opinions, I don't think I'm intellectually superior to a guy who says Mustard deserves to be on that list as i'm sure most people will consider me crazy for guys I left off mine purposely and acknowledged they don't make the cut. I don't even like music from alot of guys I consider "super producers", I recognize their longevity, their range of quality across different genres, the ability to catch the attention of fans, ect. Has nothing to do with how intricate a beat is or if I liked the song.

IMO, "super" is a powerful adjective. If I asked you to name "super humans", I'd expect alot of great people to be weeded out the same way I do when I say "super producer".

As for my comment about producer's salaries...you know what, never mind, you must've "been doin' the education" on that one...with google and all. Lol.

Im far from a child.... .. I can charge $250,000 for a beat too doesnt mean Im going to get that type of music..... my point went far over your head...... but on topic, your gunna tell me that "Tom Ford" wasnt simple? also I didnt say that timberlands beats werent good either.... you blew what I said out of proportion and took it the wrong way

Im sure Mustard makes more money on the 1's and 2's DJing for himself especially working with Skrillex

anywho.... Im done here I'll be smart enough to agree to disagree because opinions are opinions.... Im happy for all producers that make it.... Im not a hater by no means nor do I wish someone ill will when they trying to get out there because its hard

I never acknowledged Mustard as a "super producer". I personally don't think he's been around long enough, but definitely on his way. Lil Jon, IMO absolutely. Alchemist, not so much, not enough hits(mustard has more already)and even in the realm of "real hip hop"(that doesn't mean shyt when talking "super producers" IMO), he doesn't stack up to guys like Primo, Just Blaze, and Pete Rock who I'd consider the lower tier in the realm of "super producers". It has nothing to do with my opinion of them or my opinion of their music, but the impact they've had through music.

Being that "super producer" is not a definitive word, opinions will vary on what one is. I believe to call one by such a title, they should have left a wide body of work over a period of time that holds a place in people's hearts to this day. Flash in the pans need not apply. Again, all opinions, but....super producers in my mind include Dre, Storch, Timbo, Teddy Riley, Lil Jon, Quincy Jones, Foster & McElroy, Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, LA/Babyface, Rick Rubin, Kanye, Neptunes/Pharell. Guys like Primo and Pete Rock make the cut by the skin of their teeth.

Runners up who don't make the cut IMO include Jeff Bhasker, my all time favorite producer Mike Dean, Cool N Dre, Heatmakers, Tony Kanal, RedOne, BM Cox, JR Rotem(really close though), Mike Will Made It(who has time to do more and change my mind on him), Zaytoven, The Runners, Danjah, Justice League, Erick Sermon(really close, but, nah)...J DILLA(even though I can accept the fact most will consider him one after his death, in life he was not).

Again, all just opinions, I don't think I'm intellectually superior to a guy who says Mustard deserves to be on that list as i'm sure most people will consider me crazy for guys I left off mine purposely and acknowledged they don't make the cut. I don't even like music from alot of guys I consider "super producers", I recognize their longevity, their range of quality across different genres, the ability to catch the attention of fans, ect. Has nothing to do with how intricate a beat is or if I liked the song.

IMO, "super" is a powerful adjective. If I asked you to name "super humans", I'd expect alot of great people to be weeded out the same way I do when I say "super producer".

As for my comment about producer's salaries...you know what, never mind, you must've "been doin' the education" on that one...with google and all. Lol.

Daym son - you had me over here shaking my head in absolute agreement...until that last sentence dig! smh

Back