DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

Legal Dollaz

Based on DJ Mustard's current successful run would you 1) put him in the Super Producer category and if so do you 2) think this is the beginning of new era of Super Producers or is Mustard a one off anomaly?

And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.

More of an anomaly. I'd compare his success to Lil Jon who dominated the air waves many moons ago. If he keeps it up then he may eventually enter that Timberland, Neptunes stratsophere but I don't think he's there quite yet. I dont know his extensive discography so he may in fact have already reached that level.

Last edited:
He needs to have a run of years not months to reach that status.

Timbo
Neptunes
Dre
Puff (gag)
Kanye
Quincy
and so on all had runs of years before they got that title.

personally i think mustards dope and one of the hottest producers right now, but his sound is a little one dimensional so i don't think his run will span multiple years, unless he's more diverse and just shows one side because it's in demand right now.

Is Mike Will considered a super producer? Because it seems his current run is like when Mike Will got hot and everybody wanted a Mike Will track (like Miley).
That said, I don't quite put Mike Will in that Pharrell/Timbo/Kanye category just yet.

Dj Mustard beats are so easy to replicate. He isn't a super producer imo. Most of his beats are pretty straight forward, simple yet effective. Pharrell's beats is much more harder.

Based on DJ Mustard's current successful run would you 1) put him in the Super Producer category and if so do you 2) think this is the beginning of new era of Super Producers or is Mustard a one off anomaly?

And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.

IDK. It's hard to say. He's def very, very popular right now. I will have to say that his beats do carry some of the songs, he's produced.

You've gotta give the new guys something to dream/talk about right?

j/k

I'd put him in the "Hot Producer of the moment" category.
I'd say he's more of a symbol of the current cycle going on in music.

1. Come up with a brand-able formula that appeals to the masses in your chosen genre.
2. Rinse and repeat until its old news
3. Get replaced or learn a new skill and diversify while easing out of the limelight

Moral of the story:

There will be a new "Hot Producer" next year.

He replaced Mike Will...who replaced someone who replaced someone who replaced Lex Luger....

IMO Lex was the last of "super producers" with real runs(and I could be confused because everyone else ran with his arguably stolen sound so it stuck around longer). And even his was short lived, just not as short as these guys.

The run of current "super producers" is really short and no 2 can exist in the same timeframe. Weird in a time when everyone has the tools to make music. Timbo, Swizz, Storch, Polow, Just Blaze, Kanye, Dre, BM Cox, and JR Rotem all had their runs intertwining over years. When's the last time you heard a Mike Will Made it record? The 1st time DJ Mustard bursted on the mainstream scene all over the radio like he was a week before. It went from Bandz Dance, Jays on Feet, Future Records, Ciara single, all in rotation to what it is now overnight.

I will say he works, simplicity is a talent in itself, crazy he knocked off a guy with such intricacy to what he was doing.

Last edited:
^^^How so when everything on the radio right now is definitively "produced" by him.

Why is it so hard for people to call people "producers"? The title isn't as elite as say... surgeon or nuclear physicist. If you make a beat, hell, even just a loop melody, you've "composed" something and there's a million ways under the sun to "produce" a record. None of which take much knowhow or talent even though those things to help make a better finished product.

^^^How so when everything on the radio right now is definitively "produced" by him.

Why is it so hard for people to call people "producers"? The title isn't as elite as say... surgeon or nuclear physicist. If you make a beat, hell, even just a loop melody, you've "composed" something and there's a million ways under the sun to "produce" a record. None of which take much knowhow or talent even though those things to help make a better finished product.

Ironically it seems like the same guys that say "he's not a producer, he's just a beat maker" are usually the same guys who say "he didn't make the beat so he didn't produce the song".... #wtf

It's the same old that we've been getting from hip hop for the past 15 years.

It's a RUN.

There's about 7-10 producers that have had a RUN when they hit with a certain sound.

Neptunes.
Lil Jon.
Timbaland.
Swizz.
Kanye.
Jermaine Dupri.

And of course the <insert trap producer here> guys.

Everybody gets a RUN if you keep at it long enough. The trick is, to reinvent your sound, so you get ANOTHER run.

Timbo has really been the only person able to do that, of that list.

I don't see DJ Mustard as being a Super Producer. He's just having a run with his sound. 3 years from now, he won't have a single song on the radio, because people will have moved on from his sound.

because people feel the need and differentiate themselves from everybody else and feel better. So you get those saying " He ain't a producer. He just made the beat" as if the instrumental isn't the basis for a song

The run of current "super producers" is really short and no 2 can exist in the same timeframe. Weird in a time when everyone has the tools to make music. Timbo, Swizz, Storch, Polow, Just Blaze, Kanye, Dre, BM Cox, and JR Rotem all had their runs intertwining over years. When's the last time you heard a Mike Will Made it record? The 1st time DJ Mustard bursted on the mainstream scene all over the radio like he was a week before. It went from Bandz Dance, Jays on Feet, Future Records, Ciara single, all in rotation to what it is now overnight.

I definitely agree especially the part in bold. But that's likely do to the overall consolidation of urban mainstream music, just not as much room at the top of the food chain as it once was

Everybody gets a RUN if you keep at it long enough. The trick is, to reinvent your sound, so you get ANOTHER run.

Timbo has really been the only person able to do that, of that list.

Wouldn't you include Pharrell as well? He's had a monster "second run" in the last 12-18 months

I also think that if you've had a run that introduces a new sub-genre (ex - Teddy Riley/New jack Swing Era) you get extra points as oppose to just having a run within a sound era which was established by someone else

Alright I se your point, if you make a beat, the title doesnt matter, its still something you produced.

But to call him a SUPER producer, not something i personally "categorize" him as, he doesnt have that "extraordinary" producer image that Dr Dre, Timbaland, The Neptunes, Shawty Redd, and all these people have, (or at least had)

Last edited:
Wouldn't you include Pharrell as well? He's had a monster "second run" in the last 12-18 months

I also think that if you've had a run that introduces a new sub-genre (ex - Teddy Riley/New jack Swing Era) you get extra points as oppose to just having a run within a sound era which was established by someone else

Yeah okay, I'd put Pharrell in there too. The records he's done were smashes.

I just always lump him in with the Neptunes.

Pharrell jumped genre's....which was smart...very smart. And also really lucky. That Daft Punk and Robin Thicke thing could have EASILY gone another direction!

So for real, Pharrell's run was funded by the record labels...cuz those records weren't STUPENDOUS records...they were good records that were very well funded....IMHO.

Back