Can learning piano make you that much greater

I just did two weeks of learning my scales and i do see results.I now understand that a good structured song can be arranged in any scale, the trick is finding the melodie that is original.And as for the statement from deranged "there is no substitue for raw talent", i would have to disagree.There are people who build up a skill so great that it then becomes true talent. Are you telling me that every musician didn't learn nothing from someone or a piano player wasn't taught?

theory ,chords scales

I have a question,what's the best way to learn chord progression and scales? Is there a book or dvd tutorial someone can refer

I just did two weeks of learning my scales and i do see results.I now understand that a good structured song can be arranged in any scale, the trick is finding the melodie that is original.And as for the statement from deranged "there is no substitue for raw talent", i would have to disagree.There are people who build up a skill so great that it then becomes true talent. Are you telling me that every musician didn't learn nothing from someone or a piano player wasn't taught?

Before you put words in my mouth, find where i said "there's no replacement for raw talent" in the context you're trying to use it in. To reinstate what i said, you should do anything in your power to polish your craft. I'm just confused by all of you being incapable to play(hence, no f**king craft)until learning basic fundamentals like chord progression that my 2 year old daughter already has.

The post below yours above mine is proof in the pudding.

Y'all bookworm tutorial folk don't understand chord progression without a book or DVD? I get it. In my realm of music and my time coming up, you didn't get the privilege of watching DVDs and reading books, you either had it or your parents had deep pockets for lessons. You lyin to yourself if you think even a 3rd of the producers out there know all these terms you guys learn to compensate for the lack of ability to do these things. lol.

Y'all can't respect that because of your way of "learning". As I said before, all a book can tell me is the name of sh*t I've been doing in my music since I first started making tracks. If you were incapable of listening to professional recordings and knowing your shyt was nothing like them to fix them until you "studied" keep using ya brain over your ears, but don't act like I'm the backwards one. I respect that some folk learn this way, just amazed that I seem to be the only person on the net who just picks up shyt. In the real world it's the other way around. I don't wanna go in depth, but I'm sure it has to do with folk background and folk being spoonfed a lil too much.

Last edited:
Listen you clown! Deranged.... I don't give a fudge what you know boy lol everybodys approach to learning is different,but OBVIOUSLY its the end result prodction that counts interms of skill. But ain't no way in the pits and dungeons of hell your big boasty head can tell me that knowledge and information cannot improve ones Gods giving talent. Honestly ur making no sense and you sound real ignorant killer. But if ur style works for you,bang out,but all that "I'm better than thou,cause the technique I use" is corny fam! " A king doesn't brag of his armies might,his reputation is heard as the cries of his enemies increase" Nu2DaGame2010 in other words "let ur work speak for itself...clown lol

^^^misquoted me again. Never said I was 'better" than anyone. Never said everyone doesn't learn their own way. Just amazed I seem to be the only person on this site who learned to "play instruments" by sitting in front the f**kin instruments and playing around with them. I play Drums(not the best, but sufficient and no lesson will make me better, just more co-ordination), Keyboard/piano/real organ, Guitar, and string/bow instruments(which I'm better at than anything). Most people I know who play multiple instruments pick up and learn. I don't know the whole world to say what's normal, this just isn't out the ordinary in my circle of musicians. And I know lots.

If that sounds farfetched to you, that gives me an idea of your realm of thought, no more, no less. Funny you make a post like the one you just did and emphasize me "sounding ignorant". :cheers:

Last edited:
I know there are great producers who have no training and there are alot who do,but can it make that much of a difference in some one with potential.The reason why I'm on this topic is becausei am recording a friend who says I'm a good producer but today we were listening to other local producers and he was feeling them and that made me feel like(then why am I recording you for free).okay I'd admit iwas jealous cause they were good beats and know I'm firered up about being the best I can be and willing to go threw whatever to make me that much better.

Keep practicing and perfecting your craft. Whatever that entails for you thats what you do.

Keep practicing and perfecting your craft. Whatever that entails for you thats what you do.

Thanks for the support man. I may not be blessed by the hand of god like like some one on here but at least my will is just as strong to never say die to get better. Just because someone learns from watching doesn't mean there any good. A elderly man can learn the piano and be greater with hard work than a person who already has been playing for years.

^^^misquoted me again. Never said I was 'better" than anyone. Never said everyone doesn't learn their own way. Just amazed I seem to be the only person on this site who learned to "play instruments" by sitting in front the f**kin instruments and playing around with them. I play Drums(not the best, but sufficient and no lesson will make me better, just more co-ordination), Keyboard/piano/real organ, Guitar, and string/bow instruments(which I'm better at than anything). Most people I know who play multiple instruments pick up and learn. I don't know the whole world to say what's normal, this just isn't out the ordinary in my circle of musicians. And I know lots.

If that sounds farfetched to you, that gives me an idea of your realm of thought, no more, no less. Funny you make a post like the one you just did and emphasize me "sounding ignorant". :cheers:

Deranged, I can see how just sitting in front of instruments for a long time and messing with them will get you better and eventually be able to play, but wouldn't it be just be easier to look up something online, or take lessons. I went to musictheory.net and within a month my beatmaking skill went up far more than in the last 6. I knew how to build good chord progressions etc. and it would of taken me much longer to learn what I learned by just sittin in front of my casio or watching anyone else play piano.

Thanks for the support man. I may not be blessed by the hand of god like like some one on here but at least my will is just as strong to never say die to get better. Just because someone learns from watching doesn't mean there any good. A elderly man can learn the piano and be greater with hard work than a person who already has been playing for years.
See how the lil sideshot posts keep coming? Hoe shyt.

Speak ya mind or STFU. Y'all nikkas just can't comprehend out of insecurity so you taking out frustration from what you thinking I'm saying rather than actually hearing what I am saying.

For the millionth time, learn any way you want. All i've said is from MY real world experience, the best I've met didn't learn from a damn book. Whether we're talking Rock, Gospel, hip hop, pop. Most i know(and I know alot)learned from diving into it. Same sense I know tons who pick up books to become "better" as in going from completely sucking to almost completely sucking. lol. There are exceptions, but not many. Now, any of those guys who were already good go on to accelerate their skills by multiple means. Some pick up a book, others hire assistant musicians, some just take time off to listen to random genres and be influenced by the music of others. But, more than likely, if you're skilled at this all you will learn is the proper terms for things you've already been applying because if you don't, your music sucks.

That's like me saying I never seen big foot on a camping trip, so to me, that's not a normal practice in camping, and every loser who thinks they have seen big foot assuming I'm thinking i'm better than them because deep down inside they don't beleive in bigfoot their damn self, they just need something to beleive in.

If anyone in this thread didn't think after lessons their music didn't still suck, they wouldn't have took offense. I never even went as far as to say my music doesn't suck, did I? Did I say I had god given talent? I should be somewhere rappin or drawing shyt, I was just lucky enough to make a living of "beats" this ain't my strong point. lol. :smokinFP:

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Deranged, I can see how just sitting in front of instruments for a long time and messing with them will get you better and eventually be able to play, but wouldn't it be just be easier to look up something online, or take lessons. I went to musictheory.net and within a month my beatmaking skill went up far more than in the last 6. I knew how to build good chord progressions etc. and it would of taken me much longer to learn what I learned by just sittin in front of my casio or watching anyone else play piano.

See, this is where you guys are lost. I understand everyone doesn't learn as fast behind a board. You don't understand some do. Apparently you're all still trying to convince me to see things your way when I already do.

In a nutshell. Buy gear...suck...buy books...get better....most likely still suck, but not as much as before, but theres a chance of you actually getting good.

Now see things my way. Don't have money to throw away on gear. Go to the store demoing stuff, play on it at a friends house, play around on ya grandma's piano, ect. by the time you get your 1st peice of gear, you already been such a music fanatic your entire life you don't need a book to explain to you how chords progress and a song is sequenced. It's in your veins.

No 2 paths are the same. Y'all just don't beleive in mine I see everyday while I beleive in yours, but reamin confused to why you've never seen mine when it's all I've seen. These aren't the only 2 paths by the way. There's millions.

Last edited:
See, this is where you guys are lost. I understand everyone doesn't learn as fast behind a board. You don't understand some do. Apparently you're all still trying to convince me to see things your way when I already do.

In a nutshell. Buy gear...suck...buy books...get better....most likely still suck, but not as much as before, but theres a chance of you actually getting good.

Now see things my way. Don't have money to throw away on gear. Go to the store demoing stuff, play on it at a friends house, play around on ya grandma's piano, ect. by the time you get your 1st peice of gear, you already been such a music fanatic your entire life you don't need a book to explain to you how chords progress and a song is sequenced. It's in your veins.

No 2 paths are the same. Y'all just don't beleive in mine I see everyday while I beleive in yours, but reamin confused to why you've never seen mine when it's all I've seen. These aren't the only 2 paths by the way. There's millions.

This is true, never really thought about people who can't afford a midi controller or EP. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to but I guess I would be going down your path if I didn't have the money.

Even stepping outside the realm of hip hop, you guys are telling me you have not one friend who one day got ahold of a drumset or guitar and went from knowing nothing to musical genius on it practically overnight without "studying" because "rocking" or "jammin" was in his veins?

I'm the only person who knows these guys? And manage to know hundreds of them for the few "trained musicians" I know in the mix who most of which are outperformed by these "untrained' counterparts?

Y'all must only know guys who started on computers. I still to this day can't tell you how I learned violin. I just liked and studied classical music from a listening perspective since I was a baby. It has more influence over my composed tracks than hip hop. And i wouldn't know a legato from a sustuendo(?) if my life depended on it. Don't mean they're not in my music where they should be.

Even stepping outside the realm of hip hop, you guys are telling me you have not one friend who one day got ahold of a drumset or guitar and went from knowing nothing to musical genius on it practically overnight without "studying" because "rocking" or "jammin" was in his veins?

I'm the only person who knows these guys? And manage to know hundreds of them for the few "trained musicians" I know in the mix who most of which are outperformed by these "untrained' counterparts?

Y'all must only know guys who started on computers. I still to this day can't tell you how I learned violin. I just liked and studied classical music from a listening perspective since I was a baby. It has more influence over my composed tracks than hip hop. And i wouldn't know a legato from a sustuendo(?) if my life depended on it. Don't mean they're not in my music where they should be.
okay man we get it, your a bad ass that picked it up yourself.

^^^Nah, you don't get it, I'm just okay with a little studying out of necessity(you don't get some of the jobs I've got without knowing basics, so I've had to learn some termanologies). I'm not campaigning myself as the poster child for "not studying". But know alot more bad azzes who picked it up themselves than bookworms who became bad azzes after reading a book. I'm not saying you wrong if you know different. Just shocked no one else has experienced any way to better their musical(ear, hand coordination/rythm, ect.) craft than stopping to read a damn book. I didn't come up with all this info a mouseclick away though. That's why I answer questions up here rather than asking I guess.

You just assume I'm coming off like an egotistical/narcissistic douche, because we're not agreeing so you have to hit the gas pedal on the aggressiveness with the idea there's no common ground in our thought without doing more than half-reading anything I've written...see, I do study phycology...out of a book. But I know plenty of folk who can analyze a person from head to toe who never read up on that either, lol. :cheers:

Last edited:
Like I said in the last post like this

Quoted
Just like basketball you can learn the fundamentals but that dont mean

your the next michael jordan or lebron james and people who do got

gifted talent if they dont practice to maintain that skill it's really not

gonna improve for example And 1 and

the NBA you can have god gifted talent like dudes in And 1 but that

dont mean those guys can get a ring in the NBA were as those guys

in the NBA got talent and practice 8 hours so they got fundamentals

and just gifted what deranged is saying is reading a book isnt gonna

help you be the next great producer if you have no type of talent and

dont know nothing bout producing my mom been playin the piano for

40 years I doubt she knows where to even begin making a beat back to

basketball when I was younger my dad use to force me to play

basketball and tried to practice with me for like 10 years and I still

suck he tought me the fundamentals but im just not gifted so when

I try to play basketball with my freinds or on my high school team

I get embaressed you have it or you dont

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

LOL that was funny though but some people is born with talent like

that if people wasnt born with a gift wouldnt everyone be the same just

like i said bout basketkeball I know the fundamentals everything bout

basketball and football but Im still unathletic and suck same for music

you can read all the books take all the lessons in the world your not

gonna get great because you still dont understand sound designing,

how to put sounds together,mixing,etc

Look I'm just trying to be the best I can be in this craft that's it.I really don't think I'm gonna be a super producer even with the training, but I do believe in hidden skills. I don't think people are born with talent, I think they develop it.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Check the few beats I got on my space and leave ur opinion. Search d major,corpus Christi,tx

:rofl:

Just give up debating him, and agree to disagree. I believe that at the core, "learning" piano helps. Deranged is stuck on "learning" meaning taking formal lessons, reading, etc. I think that the intent is that learning in general whether it be on your own, via software, lessons, etc will help your music. Thee end, no need to over complicate this.

Well come to think of it, I do know people outside the hip hop who don't really have any formal training, I know one kid who is pretty insane on the guitar and he is very poor so I know for a fact he could never had any formal training. Though maybe he watched youtube tutorials or somethin. Either way I know the people you speak of, but just not in hip hop. (doubt thats a coincidence)

But I do think piano would be harder to learn on your own, than guitar. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a guitarist but it just seems like all those different types of chordes is a little harder than guitar. or maybe I'm completely wrong cuz I'm kinkda talkin out my ass in this paragraph. lol

Just here to say "Yes." To answer the question in the topic.

I don't really know what advice i'm gonna give but from my experience the knowledge of theory can make you stuck so you can't do something individual sometimes. I know 3 musicians, classically trained, they're pretty adept at playing the guitar and singing but they tell me rules of the game and if i break them they have a fit. "You is in ze chord of C, it must go tone, tone, semi-tone" or whatever the hell it is i forget. I'm like clear off, it sounds good therefore there's nothing wrong with it, but they can't play to it because when it hits a note there isn't a correct progression or something it jars them and they lose it.

Not saying there's a correlation between knowing theory and being unable to play outside the box, but in my experience it is so for some it can be i guess.

Not saying there's a correlation between knowing theory and being unable to play outside the box, but in my experience it is so for some it can be i guess.

There probably is a correlation. My mom had formal training in piano, and she looks at me wierd when I do odd chorde progressions instead of I, IV, V. She isn't outside the box at all. Even though I learned online I still am not inside the box from a teacher telling me you must do this for an extended period of time.

Side not, my mom doesn't even know minor scales. Like isn't that just as popular as majors? She has literally never heard of them in the 20 years she has been playing piano, until I told her abot them.

Back