Can learning piano make you that much greater

D major

I know there are great producers who have no training and there are alot who do,but can it make that much of a difference in some one with potential.The reason why I'm on this topic is becausei am recording a friend who says I'm a good producer but today we were listening to other local producers and he was feeling them and that made me feel like(then why am I recording you for free).okay I'd admit iwas jealous cause they were good beats and know I'm firered up about being the best I can be and willing to go threw whatever to make me that much better.

If you got potential, you got potential...You still dont have the skill...Even if you are musical you need to study, practice and perfect your craft. And yes, being able to play will make a HUGE difference...

I have been taking learn and master piano DVD class and I must admit I made a few songs I would have never thought of if it wasn't for those few lessons.But not sure if just these DVDs will take me to such an advanced level were I wanna be and it's got me thinking if I should get a one on one teacher.The only thing I have and issue with learing piano is reading sheet music.I really don't know if this is needed if I'm wanting to play my own music and not someone elses.But I also think it may help in giving me ideas of progressions and combinations of chords when playing other songs, but that's just my theory I still don't know if sight reading is important for just a home studio producer.

I would not learn to sight read....It takes up waaaaay to much time, and will take years before you even start to get a feeling of it. Plus there is so much more to study. Just study music theory and harmony..IMO

A one-on-one tutor would be quite beneficial. I think learning to read music will make things a lot easier in the future. Also, if you're going to learn theory (which is a MUST) you will have to learn to read music anyway.

An adage my old mentor used to use: "You can play in the Superbowl halftime show without playing in the country fair, first." That's to say that you got to start from the ground up.

_O.K._

Learning piano would help you tremendously, but as far as reading music, no you don't have to. It would be MUCH MORE beneficial to learn to play by ear(although I recommend learning proper technique along the way). Listen to some of your favorite songs and try to play parts of them, and work your way up! Developing your ear is THE most important thing(aside from making the music itself) anyone in any form of music can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
A one-on-one tutor would be quite beneficial. I think learning to read music will make things a lot easier in the future. Also, if you're going to learn theory (which is a MUST) you will have to learn to read music anyway.

An adage my old mentor used to use: "You can play in the Superbowl halftime show without playing in the country fair, first." That's to say that you got to start from the ground up.

_O.K._

How is that?

Okay so I called around and there is a person who teaches chords and melodies for 18 dollars a half hour.I'm just hopeing to get pretty advanced playing so I can so my true potiential.People like Ray charels,Stevie wonder are blind and they are and were the best without reading but they had years of training and it makes me wonder how long I gotta do it.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Another thing that kinda bothers me is I don't have Melodie ideas when I make a beat it just kinda happens by hitting random keys and hoping to make something.

Last edited:
Yes, it can make you that much better, and yes, you need a teacher. Piano's tough because it requires skill and dexterity that's best learned through a classical system if you want to be even somewhat of a viable player.

The memorizing and reading will take up alot
more time I have tried it already and didn't make a diiference.

Whatever live instruments you learn will make your production that much better. I learned bass because I wasn't liking myh synthesized bass lines as much as live instrumentation ,... and since my MSM bassist roommate moved to Cali I had to learn to play my own lines.

Whatever live instruments you learn will make your production that much better. I learned bass because I wasn't liking myh synthesized bass lines as much as live instrumentation ,... and since my MSM bassist roommate moved to Cali I had to learn to play my own lines.

Trilian is your best friend...lol:)

I know there are great producers who have no training and there are alot who do,but can it make that much of a difference in some one with potential.The reason why I'm on this topic is becausei am recording a friend who says I'm a good producer but today we were listening to other local producers and he was feeling them and that made me feel like(then why am I recording you for free).okay I'd admit iwas jealous cause they were good beats and know I'm firered up about being the best I can be and willing to go threw whatever to make me that much better.

if you're willing to do whatever makes you better, then learn piano. you don't need to be great at the piano to be a great producer. further, i know very few great producers who don't have at least passing knowledge of the piano.

Someone, as a producer, may be able to get by without learning piano, I cannot. But if you aren't going to make a solo piano album or become a concert pianist, it isn't going to be the be all and end all.

I can think of loads of household with an upright piano and they never seem to use it. Maybe they pull out some christmas carols once in a while but the talk of mastery hardly ever comes into it.

There are very few compositions which trouble me with how technically complex and challenging they are nowadays.

Honestly, you can get by without learning any theory. But, the only way to do this is to have people who will write parts for you, which you can then rip off and use in your beats. Think Timbaland and Danja.

My advice, its much easier to learn to play rather than to find someone who can do that for you, especially coming in from a grass roots level.

How is that?

It just is. Learning theory is like learning creative writing. You can't write an essay or poem without knowin the alphabet. There are ways around theory and sometimes sticking strictly to theory is a bad thing but theory goes hand in hand with reading music.

It just is. Learning theory is like learning creative writing. You can't write an essay or poem without knowin the alphabet. There are ways around theory and sometimes sticking strictly to theory is a bad thing but theory goes hand in hand with reading music.

NO he said you will HAVE to learn to read music to learn theory... which is obviously not true...I do not need to know where the note D is on a piece of sheet music to able to play it on the keys...I know theory..I dont know how to read music...

Back