Can learning piano make you that much greater

Even stepping outside the realm of hip hop, you guys are telling me you have not one friend who one day got ahold of a drumset or guitar and went from knowing nothing to musical genius on it practically overnight without "studying" because "rocking" or "jammin" was in his veins?

I'm the only person who knows these guys? And manage to know hundreds of them for the few "trained musicians" I know in the mix who most of which are outperformed by these "untrained' counterparts?

I have met quite a few people like that in my time .

^^^ Yeah I'm one. And when I said yes, I was saying yes to learning piano, not yes to learning theory, hiring a teacher, teaching yourself or anything. Just yes to learning to play piano. I don't care how you do it. I can't imagine how I would make music if I didn't learn. I don't understand how people can be satisfied with just sampling. To be honest I don't understand how you can be satisfied with just learning any one part of music.

Learn to play, learn to sample, learn to sing, dance, rap, record, do it all. They will tell you not to. They are holding you back. And I'm only saying that if you're interested in those things of course...not telling you to go waste your time...just saying if you like it, then learn it and learn whatever else that might help if you want.

Im taking bass lessons right now to play for my church and I just cant

seem to get it when someones teaching me but I was practicing with

my mom the other day and it was doing great.My bass teacher hates me

right now because I never practice the book I just go in and start playing

the song he told me to practice I havent been to lessons in 2 weeks now

because im irritated with him It's possible to be good without lessons

I think peoples missing the thread you can learn chords and scales no lessons but to read music is another subject

people who are satisfied just with sampling usually do it only to have a couple of beats to jam to. They don't care about music and stuff, just want to rap on a beat ;)

those who are mainly beatmakers care about what others are goin to hear that's why they're occupied with theory etc

people who are satisfied just with sampling usually do it only to have a couple of beats to jam to. They don't care about music and stuff, just want to rap on a beat ;)

those who are mainly beatmakers care about what others are goin to hear that's why they're occupied with theory etc

Was that directed at me because I never sampled a beat in my life and

still know music theory without lessons and yes I do make beats for

people to rap on not let it sit on my computer forever and im doing a great job saling

Oh it was more directed at dragon fang and others in here who have insulted it.

Are you the sensitive type? Most people that go around screaming hater all the time are really sensitive to me...

No one was hating on sampling...everyone was hating on not doing what you want and what WE want is to make music...sampling is only one way to make music and is completely different from composing. Therefore you can't satisfy yourself with the same sensations of composing in sampling or sampling in composing. You can make music both ways, but different process, different feel, different type of creativity AND if I did a brain study on it, I promise you it's a different brain pattern when you sample to make a song vs composing to make a song.

They are completely different things to accomplish to goal of making a song. Stop getting your panties bunched up in a ball just because someone points that out. Even if he DID hate sampling. WTF does that have to do with what you do.

While it (clearly) is possible to make music, sick beats, epic overtures, etc. without a strong theory background; it is a more time consuming process.

What I mean, is that when you do not have a firm basic understanding of the theory behind it, you spend a lot of time playing something, then it sounds wrong, play it again, sounds wrong, play it again, etc. Fiddling around with trial and error. When you have a firm grasp of theory (and your instrument), you can convert thought-to-song a lot faster, and more efficiently.

Not to mention, theory is universal to every instrument. For me, I play trumpet/piano/bass. and going from one instrument to another is easy... all I need to learn is what button = what note. Once this is done, you can really feel the instrument and take off faster.

So, again, this is not to say that you can't play without knowing theory... but it helps. A lot.

And back to the OP, learning piano is clutch.

_O.K._

Are you the sensitive type? Most people that go around screaming hater all the time are really sensitive to me...

No one was hating on sampling...everyone was hating on not doing what you want and what WE want is to make music...sampling is only one way to make music and is completely different from composing. Therefore you can't satisfy yourself with the same sensations of composing in sampling or sampling in composing. You can make music both ways, but different process, different feel, different type of creativity AND if I did a brain study on it, I promise you it's a different brain pattern when you sample to make a song vs composing to make a song.

They are completely different things to accomplish to goal of making a song. Stop getting your panties bunched up in a ball just because someone points that out. Even if he DID hate sampling. WTF does that have to do with what you do.

Seriously dude? You come at me like that for asking why people are acting like sampling is ****in second rank beat making? I never insulted you or anything and you write a big ass post talking to me like I'm retarded. No shit there is different things to accomplish, I never insulted composing so you sir are ****in weak.

While it (clearly) is possible to make music, sick beats, epic overtures, etc. without a strong theory background; it is a more time consuming process.

What I mean, is that when you do not have a firm basic understanding of the theory behind it, you spend a lot of time playing something, then it sounds wrong, play it again, sounds wrong, play it again, etc. Fiddling around with trial and error. When you have a firm grasp of theory (and your instrument), you can convert thought-to-song a lot faster, and more efficiently.

Not to mention, theory is universal to every instrument. For me, I play trumpet/piano/bass. and going from one instrument to another is easy... all I need to learn is what button = what note. Once this is done, you can really feel the instrument and take off faster.

So, again, this is not to say that you can't play without knowing theory... but it helps. A lot.

_O.K._

Sooo soooo true my man. Good stuff.

:cheers:

Seriously dude? You come at me like that for asking why people are acting like sampling is ****in second rank beat making? I never insulted you or anything and you write a big ass post talking to me like I'm retarded. No shit there is different things to accomplish, I never insulted composing so you sir are ****in weak.

I apologize and I never felt insulted...I wrote it because I was annoyed.

I'm just sick of people throwing the word hate around on EVERYTHING just because someone doesn't like the same thing as you.

Everyone was saying learn everything, including sampling and don't JUST sample.

"I don't understand how people can be satisfied with just sampling. To be honest I don't understand how you can be satisfied with just learning any one part of music.

Learn to play, learn to sample, learn to sing, dance, rap, record, do it all. They will tell you not to. They are holding you back. "

That's my quote right there...where is the hate?

I came at you like that so that no one else would follow up behind you and turn this into the 97934629734697234 sampling vs. composing thread. I can tell by the way people were typing even that they were actually TRYING to prevent that and then I read your post and pretty much said "Oh great,...here we go all because of that one stupid ass comment."

And look...I can understand you getting upset when someone says not to do what you do...but maybe that's just someone trying to give you some advice as well...it's not hate, just another perspective.

All I'm saying is if you only do one thing, try more things. Then pick the ones you like and get great at them.

For me, and some of the others who also commented, there isn't any area of music production that I don't like so I f with it all. I'm not hating on any of it or saying any is better than the other.

_O.K._
But I must respond to this with a question.

Am i the only person on this board who knew Theory before i ever picked up an instrument just from being a fan of music? I'm confused because my 2 year old daughter walks around making up songs that display she has an intricate knowledge of theory from watching Fresh Beat band and Yo Gabba Gabba. lol.

She bounces up and down with octaves, makes up bridges and breakdowns, and even has lead out while making up songs like "I Wanna Take Bath Later" and her new hit "I want Taco Bell". She's 2! I was similar as a kid because i grew up in a house full of music as well.

This "learn theory/piano" talk sounds good, I don't knock it if that's what you gotta do to learn. The reason this discussion is ongoing is because you guys keep saying "things get easier" because it did for you. I'm telling you I never read a book or been through a lesson that taught me any technique. And I've read books and been thru lessons. All the do is give out a name for that string progression you did forever because it sounded right, or that tom roll you bring in every 8 bars.

Knowing how to create good music by any means is what makes you great, period. Nothing else. Everyone in here will need different tools and methods to do that, so there is no yes/no answer for everyone.

Alright for sure man. I agree about the whole "hatin" thing. I just noticed people talked down on it and wanted to know why. I think composing is cool and I got respect for guys that can actually make something nice. It just seems like some people look at sampling like ripping off others and uncreative. Peace

But I must respond to this with a question.

Am i the only person on this board who knew Theory before i ever picked up an instrument just from being a fan of music? I'm confused because my 2 year old daughter walks around making up songs that display she has an intricate knowledge of theory from watching Fresh Beat band and Yo Gabba Gabba. lol.

She bounces up and down with octaves, makes up bridges and breakdowns, and even has lead out while making up songs like "I Wanna Take Bath Later" and her new hit "I want Taco Bell". She's 2! I was similar as a kid because i grew up in a house full of music as well.

This "learn theory/piano" talk sounds good, I don't knock it if that's what you gotta do to learn. The reason this discussion is ongoing is because you guys keep saying "things get easier" because it did for you. I'm telling you I never read a book or been through a lesson that taught me any technique. And I've read books and been thru lessons. All the do is give out a name for that string progression you did forever because it sounded right, or that tom roll you bring in every 8 bars.

Knowing how to create good music by any means is what makes you great, period. Nothing else. Everyone in here will need different tools and methods to do that, so there is no yes/no answer for everyone.

My hands raised I come from musical family to I remember my first

song was called the snake song when I was 7 it was in my moms piano

book I just started playin and my went crazy because I was so close

This argument is starting to get pointless because peoples egos is

makin them miss points everyone wants to be right

To the OP, yes it will help. Anyone that feels differently is a FOOL in denial. Learning arts whether formal, by ear, by lesson, by book, etc WILL help. It's like saying that learning how to count and multiply won't help you be a better accountant. Foolishness.

I don't profess to be the best on here, but I have heard some tracks on here and you can here the difference from those who have at least a little knowledge and those who don't. That's when you hear tracks and it feels off because the chord progression doesn't resolve itself.

Bottom line, look at who the greatest people are and show me one that can't play an instrument whether they learned formally or self taught, bottom line is the majority LEARNED.....stevie wonder...check....phil collins...check....sir paul...check....jam/lewis...check....Prince.....check

Last edited:
To the OP, yes it will help. Anyone that feels differently is a FOOL in denial. Learning arts whether formal, by ear, by lesson, by book, etc WILL help. It's like saying that learning how to count and multiply won't help you be a better accountant. Foolishness.

I don't profess to be the best on here, but I have heard some tracks on here and you can here the difference from those who have at least a little knowledge and those who don't. That's when you hear tracks and it feels off because the chord progression doesn't resolve itself.

Bottom line, look at who the greatest people are and show me one that can't play an instrument whether they learned formally or self taught, bottom line is the majority LEARNED.....stevie wonder...check....phil collins...check....sir paul...check....jam/lewis...check....Prince.....check

Since when was Stevie wonders or phil collins producers there pianist

dont ever call me a FOOL when you dont know nothin bout me or my

music once again peoples missing the point because of EGO'S you guys

are more of the FOOL's because yall cant put your EGO's aside to get

the point noone said piano wont help but do you have to play piano to

know theory like I said in the last 10 post piano lessons isnt gonna

teach you the arts of producing music it doesnt teach you pro tools,

fl studio,A mpc so whats good knowing every scale and chord

progression there is if you dont know what a

arp,lfo,synthesizers,hardware etc.

Since when was Stevie wonders or phil collins producers there pianist

dont ever call me a FOOL when you dont know nothin bout me or my

music once again peoples missing the point because of EGO'S you guys

are more of the FOOL's because yall cant put your EGO's aside to get

the point noone said piano wont help but do you have to play piano to

know theory like I said in the last 10 post piano lessons isnt gonna

teach you the arts of producing music it doesnt teach you pro tools,

fl studio,A mpc so whats good knowing every scale and chord

progression there is if you dont know what a

arp,lfo,synthesizers,hardware etc.

This is stupid to argue. You win. Oh and for the recod Stevie and Phil have both produced and him and phil collins play multiple instruments. Next a producer does not have to touch an instrument to produce.

Back