Youtube is a great way of finding samples IMO

sample anything from anywhere. shiit, kanye said he would make a hit from polar bear noises. I'm sure someone on here sampled and made a beat outa wolf noises

Word up. Copped my TT for $25. I'm tired of that excuse. It sucks.

agreed its a terrible excuse.

OLD SEARS SOLID STATE RECORD PLAYER | eBay

CONCERT HALL RECORD PLAYER MODEL 332 WORKING | eBay

Vintage Electrophonic 8 Track Record Player Stereo FM | eBay

Vintage Audiotronics Model 326 Record Player Turntable | eBay

Coronet Record Player | eBay

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

and all of those tables have internal preamps

Yeah i sample a lot of youtube stuff. I've been totally blocked on chopping though, and I don't have a computer atm so i'm kinda ****ed. Maybe I should resort to tapes?

youtube is good for browsing through famous artists, it also good for starting out, but if you looking to have good quality sound you will never achieve it by sampling from youtube, no matter how good you are with mixing. youtube videos are mono sound, with 64 or 60 bits sample rate, its just the way the videos compressed.
no wonder major of cats sound the same, they ll find soul record on youtube and think they the only ones who know bout it, even though the clip has 200k views. Plus most of the obscure records are not even on youtube.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Youtube vids are ONLY in mono if it's 240p quality. 360p and up is in full stereo. Also, 64 or 60 bits sample rate? Considering a sample rate of that would only have frequencies up to 30hz (which means it would be almost completely inaudible) and the fact that sample rates are measures be the tens of THOUSANDS, that is obviously not true.

For example, cd quality is 44.1 THOUSAND hertz. You're telling me YT is just 60?

I'd be suprised if YOU could even tell the difference between a 1080p youtube video and a wav. Many people can (including me) but when sampling, audio quality is really of not much concern. The degrading of audio that occurs during pitch shift, time stretch, or even just chopping in general (clicks, pops, etc) the audio quality of the YT vid will have little impact on the final result.

That being said, some youtube videos really do have bad quality audio. But MOST 480p videos sound good enough for boom-bap sampling.

The final sound quality still has an effect on the mix.

I dont think it can get any worse than the old school way of low passing a sample to use as a bass line, I think that sounds like sh*t, a lot worse than youtube sample!

The final sound quality still has an effect on the mix.

But Boom-Bap sampled beats always sound sonically bad. But, it's bad in a good way. Lol. Like that 'bad' sound that mostly comes from cheap components in MPC's and similar samplers of the 90's, ends up being a thick, gritty sound that fits gangsta rap well.

But the point is, comparing the audio quality of a 90's hip-hop track (which was most likely MIXED on a fugging sampler!!!) to basically any other genre is insane, in terms of sonic integrity.

Shit, this is hard to explain...

I dont think it can get any worse than the old school way of low passing a sample to use as a bass line, I think that sounds like sh*t, a lot worse than youtube sample!
I actually love that sound always have.
But Boom-Bap sampled beats always sound sonically bad. But, it's bad in a good way. Lol. Like that 'bad' sound that mostly comes from cheap components in MPC's and similar samplers of the 90's, ends up being a thick, gritty sound that fits gangsta rap well.

But the point is, comparing the audio quality of a 90's hip-hop track (which was most likely MIXED on a fugging sampler!!!) to basically any other genre is insane, in terms of sonic integrity.

Shit, this is hard to explain...

who the hell has ever mixed on a sampler? Mixers are cheap and the smart bought the 8 outs for their sampler if it didnt come preinstalled as is the case with the mpc 60 and 3000 and the sp1200 and s950. U just got a mixer and mixed on that to a cassette tape. Either way I always liked the sound of the 90s. I actually think sonically the 90s stuff sounds much better than a lot of stuff today. Todays music lacks character its too clear. Many use distortion fx to dirty up a sample. Many of us like the sound of vinyl to again get that dirt sound to our music as well. Also keep in mind that not all samplers are super gritty sp1200 dirty from that era. Mpcs are far from dirty for example.

at dimesproductions, I'm wit you... alot of my family dont still hold older records, plus i dont have the hardware to transfer vinyl into my computer... Youtube works for me...

at dimesproductions, I'm wit you... alot of my family dont still hold older records, plus i dont have the hardware to transfer vinyl into my computer... Youtube works for me...
never understood why people don't go after a turntable and mixer for under $100 rather than settling for lesser sound there are turntables on ebay for less than $20. Ive seen mixers on ebay for about $40-$50 also. Records cost $1 and there is so much stuff out there thats very hard to find online that I see in record stores all of the time. I honestly think a lot of cats will just make up any excuse to steal something.

Wow, this like the third comment i read under mine in which you against what i wrote... Who said I'm not buying the records??? You ever thought of going to Youtube to hear something and then buying it if you like it or see if you can do something to it???

Wow, this like the third comment i read under mine in which you against what i wrote... Who said I'm not buying the records??? You ever thought of going to Youtube to hear something and then buying it if you like it or see if you can do something to it???

I'd love to see your vinyl/cd collection that you use for sampling then...please don't post a pic up of your external hardrive tho ;)

I think going the conventional turntable route is something that can only be appreciated once you start doing it yourself. I can relate to those who don't seem to think there is a difference - I was that dude about 3 years ago. However I can assure you, once you do it that way and start getting into digging, you will never go back!

I traded in the keyboard and the mp3's for a Turntable and the Maschine, and it's completely helped me both in terms of my capabilities and in terms of truly enjoying what I was doing.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

P.S. Killa Frog - I listened to the beat in your Sig...pretty smooth! Mind sharing the sample?? ;)

i like to look for samples on youtube but first i'll go look if i can find the real mp3 on filestube
than download whole albums from the artist if i like certain songs to sample

real vinyl digging is fun and you find much rare shit you'll never find on the net. i used to do it all the time when i started making beats.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

i never used youtube though.
i download whole discographies from artists and than i'll delete all the albums that where released after 1990. (i dont feel right when i sample newer shit somehow)

i do the same thing, but never tried it with youtube

i search the tags on The Hype Machine for a certain genre i wanna sample and usually find lots of interesting things...most of which i havent heard before

i also do the same with grooveshark

your rite, sometimes I just go to the "Flip This" thread on this website, they usually have some nice samples. The best thing to do is, once you here a good sample from a artist, you should search for their albums.. maybe they have more nice stuff

Back