Youtube is a great way of finding samples IMO

I think that if you want to sample youtube by all means do it. Nobody is going to stop you. Just know that you may be sacrificing sound quality when you do it

Screw that. Get a job and do you're part to help financially support the music industry or lose music to sample, because people stop working when there's no money to be made. That includes music creators.

I think that if you want to sample youtube by all means do it. Nobody is going to stop you. Just know that you may be sacrificing sound quality when you do it

Obviously a lot of people won't agree with me but...

Youtube takes all of the talent out of sampled music creation

Hate on that statement all you want.

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of people won't agree with me but...

Youtube takes all of the talent out of sampled music creation

Hate on that statement all you want.

Yeah, like driving to a record store and flipping through dollar bin records takes a whole lot of talent...

Last edited:
Youtube is alright for finding musicians and artists, but you have to remember your depending on other people to put the music out there for you. If you are going to be getting samples online(mostly what I do) and believe me you can find some stuff your not gonna find in a crate online, but you can find almost everything in a crate online, why is this? Because you can find songs that were limited copied records online, but probaly wont in a shop because they're way too rare. However finding downloads for these songs is another thing, I've found tons of old folk music from Canada that actually has some dope licks and riffs on it, but I can't find a download for it, and I know I'm not gonna find this shit in a record shop.

I'd still recommend not just going on youtube, there are thousands of online forums and communites(that I've joined) that are just dedicated to finding and sharing music, you can join a forum that loves downtempo jazz from the 40s if you wanted, theres that many out there, you just godda look.

Youtube will only bring you so far.

The internet can educate you beyond belief on certain genres and time periods of music, and are a source for finding out about awesome artists you can later search on youtube. I usually search for a certain city(from Toronto, to Chicago, to Paris) then put a genre of music(Jazz, Folk, Blues) and then put top musicians, and maybe add in a time period. You can find lists of thousands of artists, from hundreds of genres, from thousands of cities around the world. All online, for free. :P Take that crates, even though the experience is totally different, being a drone zombie on your computer hidden away from sunlight and interaction, and just overall life. I can spend an entire day without noticing the time fly by, just listening to different artists from all over, with my laptop being the only light touching my whitebread skin.

Last edited:
Youtube is alright for finding musicians and artists, but you have to remember your depending on other people to put the music out there for you. If you are going to be getting samples online(mostly what I do) and believe me you can find some stuff your not gonna find in a crate online, but you can find almost everything in a crate online, why is this? Because you can find songs that were limited copied records online, but probaly wont in a shop because they're way too rare. However finding downloads for these songs is another thing, I've found tons of old folk music from Canada that actually has some dope licks and riffs on it, but I can't find a download for it, and I know I'm not gonna find this shit in a record shop.

I'd still recommend not just going on youtube, there are thousands of online forums and communites(that I've joined) that are just dedicated to finding and sharing music, you can join a forum that loves downtempo jazz from the 40s if you wanted, theres that many out there, you just godda look.

Youtube will only bring you so far.

The internet can educate you beyond belief on certain genres and time periods of music, and are a source for finding out about awesome artists you can later search on youtube. I usually search for a certain city(from Toronto, to Chicago, to Paris) then put a genre of music(Jazz, Folk, Blues) and then put top musicians, and maybe add in a time period. You can find lists of thousands of artists, from hundreds of genres, from thousands of cities around the world. All online, for free. :P Take that crates, even though the experience is totally different, being a drone zombie on your computer hidden away from sunlight and interaction, and just overall life. I can spend an entire day without noticing the time fly by, just listening to different artists from all over, with my laptop being the only light touching my whitebread skin.
And in the same token there are artists who simply have been forgotten or simply are not that popular who are almost impossible to find on sites like YouTube. I have trouble finding a lot of stuff online also. I am not saying that the net is not an awesome resource because it is. My biggest beef is with the sound I get from mp3s and I do not trust other peoples recordings. Some people think if you take a mp3 and turn it wav that it will sound better and then say oh well they sound the same totally missing the point. Those are the kinds of people who make me want to just do my own sampling.
Yeah, like driving to a record store and flipping through dollar bin records takes a whole lot of talent...
Amen to that. Crate digging takes more knowledge than talent. Its a skill sure but all skills can be learned over time. A lot of people confuse skill and talent
youtube and professional sampling don't work well together.
yet I am sure there are recordins being pushed as professional recordings made from YouTube samples sadly.

Yeah, I agree. YouTube is the easiest way to find good samples.. It's just a shame a million other dudes think to do the same thing lol

you'd be surprised how many 'big name' producers have used youtube samples. or maybe you wouldn't be. my non-producer friends certainly are, haha!

I always look for songs on blogs with google, then when I search youtube and find they haven't been uploaded I get all excited cause I've found something really rare.

Sampling is sampling. You can get samples from everywhere and Youtube is the easier and in my opinion best way. There are about I think 100 000 000 videos :) so go deeper and find something. I'm using yt too to find samples. And cassete music is very bad quality (sry for my eng.)

cassette quality is still better than youtube quality if for nothing else you have more frequency ranges on cassette and the hiss isn't too bad

nobody hates on no one. But when you ll understand and learn to hear the differences in sound quality , you ll stop sampling straight from youtube.

Honestly I sample from vinyl and youtube if it is a hot sample and GUARANTEE I can make that sample sound just as good as it would have coming off my TT, NOW, there is some very bad sounding audio on youtube, but there is also some good ones! I do not rip it to MP3, I have my focusrite liquid 56 sending my audio out Spdif to my MPC and if the youtube clip is of good quality it can sound just as good as vinyl..thats my experience anyway, I will usually play real instruments over the sample anyway so the sample is just there for the feel! I guess it is really up to what you like and what you can do..I started on 16 track tape and an ensoniq sampler back in the 80's and would have killed for something like youtube back then!

Youtube sometimes have very good quality. And remember that not everybody have money to all that equipment for sampling from vinyls (sry for my english)

Youtube sometimes have very good quality. And remember that not everybody have money to all that equipment for sampling from vinyls (sry for my english)
people don't have $20 for a good will turntable and amp? Thats how I started.

Back