WTF!!!! is a Filler Track?

Mr Raymond is a perfect example of this. Confessions Pt II

He is gonna re-release a different version of the confession album, with tracks that have already been made. Now one of the singles of it that I heard on radio sounded hot. Like it could definately have replaced one of the filler tracks towards the end of the album

I think most of us will agreed that the album is hot, nethertheless Arista and management are taking the straight piss! out of the recoring industry consumer market.

I know where I'll be gettin the new tracks from. 'N make myown non filler version of the album

This is what the little Midget had to say

Alicia Keys and Usher have recorded a duet called "My Boo," and it's going to have just as much or even more impact than "Burn" and "U Got It Bad."

"It's crazy," Jermaine Dupri said on Thursday in Brooklyn, New York, after taping his ESPN show. "It didn't make the album..Confessions, we gonna do something crazy like [add it] to his album. Everybody that bought this album, they gonna have to buy it again 'cause the song is crazy. It makes the picture that much more complete."

Word is they probably gon re-release Confessions as a Double CD with songs like Sweet Lies and ish on there.And some new songs in addition to my boo.

I think we will eventually come to a point were people are only making singles, and EP's, with the occasional album. Record companies say their losing all this money on albums, just make less stuff with more quality. That's what I think made the old school songs so great (Not hip-hop, but soul, blues, rock, etc.) Artist's then didn't have the media available to them to put out 20 track albums. It seems you can hear the care that was put into making each record. I follow that philosophy when making a song. There is nothing wrong with making 20 track albums, but do it cuz you want to, not just because you want to list it as an LP.

I was helping my friend's put together an album (notice the word "was"). But they were just throwing tracks together in order to make a complete album (or else they really suck, and have no consistancy), and push it on the streets. That logic makes no sense to me. If you have a album with 2 hot songs, and 18 filler tracks I personally wouldn't buy it. (and wouldn't waist time downloading it or coping a bootleg version of it)

It was so tragic too. I made 4 beats and wrote some hooks for 4 songs. 2 songs they did good, the other 2 they butchered, and I wanted to ax the 2 bad songs, but they wanted to keep it because those were 2 less tracks they had to do later.

^^^^this is hip-hop's life, and it's ending one album at a time.

Last edited:
What you think is a filler will not always seem a filler to the next guy.

MadScience said:

it's not filler material or hits. Fillers are worthless songs thrown together with little effort. Someone else in this thread said they liked Usher's filler more than his singles.Probably cuz the guy aint got much filler on there.Just because it's not a commercial track doesn't mean it's filler.

Another thing to think about is that The music market in Europe and other Non USA markets are commonly based on singles and EPs. Someone who has a hot track,but doesn't have the talent to come up with an album will tour with that single,make their money and hopefully come back and do it again.In the greedy US industry, an artist has a hot track, but doesn't have the talent to make a whole album, they won't put out a single or EP,they'll put out an album loaded with filler.Or the alternative is to spend a few years to come up with a good album,but no quick profit there.

As a music maker and artist, I won't hesitate to put out an EP, even on the national level, if I can do it independently. I think that is something that needs to be pushed in the US music market. Then we can have billboard have a chart for EPs. Look at most albums you've bought,Cut the filler out and you'd have a smokin EP that could have sold triple at a lower price point.Quality over quantity, then make up for it in volume.

Bingo!

MadScience said:

it's not filler material or hits. Fillers are worthless songs thrown together with little effort. Someone else in this thread said they liked Usher's filler more than his singles.Probably cuz the guy aint got much filler on there.Just because it's not a commercial track doesn't mean it's filler.

So you're saying that fillers are just worthless songs thrown together? True, maybe,But ummm....

Then how would you explain Cam'ron's "Oh Boy" That beat was one of Just Blaze's throwaway beats until Cam found it, and recorded over it within A DAY. And if you're gonna tell me that Cam actually puts EFFORT into his rhymes then this conversation is over.

Fillers aren't always worthless. Sometimes they lead to your albums selling ohhhh...more than 200,000 copies in its first week.

*shameless plug for a band ken likes*

meshuggah have no filler at all

buy

nothing
chaosphere
destroy erase improve

No one on this forum knows what a guitar sounds like unless its coming out of a synth. :)

-Geoffrey

DS said:
what ISNT the death of hip hop anymore?
I just have to say I'm glad someone's trying to keep a level head on things :)

i guess i can understand it from a business point of view though. spreadin the money out.
The thing is, I think it's quite conceivable that any artist working for a record label with an imposed deadline for their album could make the choice between an okay but average quality on each track, or a couple of standout tracks that soak up the time & budget along with others that are consistent enough in feel if not quality to pad it out.

I know DJs who love filler tracks....but for them, a "filler" is something that keeps the pace going without climaxing while they build up for the "killer" track.

They Might Be Giants included on their album Apollo 18 a track called 'Fingertips', which was composed of 20+ fragments of songs they'd never managed to do anything with.

I think there's a lot of value in filler tracks, in that they show you exactly what the artist considers worthy of focus in their 'important' works, and what they let slide in their lesser ones.

I also think it's probably more one of those perjorative terms like "casting couch" that might be true in a few circumstances but isn't really accurate anymore. The idea that there's this poorly guarded secret in "the industry" to defraud the consumer just seems a little...stretched.

Then again, I have been drinking.

Oh wait, the answer to "What is a filler track?" is "Any unreleased song on a Metallica album", right?

Too 20th century?

geoff_emerick said:
No one on this forum knows what a guitar sounds like unless its coming out of a synth. :)

-Geoffrey

:mad: hello??????????

can i be excused from this general statement D ?

i'm a big blues saraceno fan by the way.

OsamaPigLatin said:

Oh yes you will. Imagine making a CD of 15 hits, but only 3 of them make it to MTV while a 4th gets little to some rotation on Clear Channel? That's like 11 HIT SONGS that you've wasted on one damn album that could have been spread across another 3-4 albums.

You wouldn't want to use up your creative fuel for just one album right? The 15 hit idea was Puffy's first brainstorm for "No Way Out". He changed his mind at the last minute I guess.

Besides what was the last album to drop that had not 1, 2, or3, but 9 #1 hit songs????

Does Thriller mean anything to you? That's more than 20 years ago man.

I see your point and the logic behind it(monetarily speaking) makes perfect sense, but IMO, this practice's days are definitly numbered.

You know what, after reading what I just wrote, the answer to all this is pretty damm simple. The industry knows that people are going to continue burning CD's, bootlegging, and ripping them off of the internet. No matter if Usher's CD was 3 hits and the rest fillers or all 15 were hits, people would still illegally own his sh!t. By stretching out each hit per album will consequently stretch out that particular artists longevity in the business, (which ensures security for the label as well as the artist). This is frikkin sad!!! But its the nature of the beast, I'll adapt and overcome for now, but if I get in a position with the power to filter this bullsh!t out and bring back album's like "Thriller" with 9 hits, then thats what Im gonna do.

The industry knows that people are going to continue burning CD's, bootlegging, and ripping them off of the internet.

Yup, Da world full of grimy niggas, coff coff Bigg R...

well Thriller had 9 hits & 7 #1's and sold somewhere around 50 mil to date to become the best sellin album of all time. if you can find an artist who can hold an album like that down & still make more hits, then go for it. we probably just have this filler "problem" cuz most cant do what michael jackson did. the artists probably love saving the hits just as much as the labels do.

Get Rich Or Die Trying
All Eyez On Me(Best selling Rap Album of all time)
Choclate Factory

geoff_emerick said:

-Geoffrey

Wow that sounds like something Timbo might say. Yet another generalization made against blacks/hip hop listeners?

I mean I am half-Dominican. Merengue anyone?

OsamaPigLatin said:

Wow that sounds like something Timbo might say. Yet another generalization made against blacks/hip hop listeners?

I know what I said sounded like a jab at "black" music, but I said it because kenworth mentioned a band. Not many people listen to rock at all on here. It was plointless to mantion a band bcause not many people on here listen to rock music. Not that its a bad thing, but all I hear is opinions on filler tracks not what they freaking are. Who said anything about race? Yes, I listen to blues. So stop with the race bullsh!t. My goodness! You can think I'm racist or, whatever suits you, but its a generalization isn't it?

-Geoffrey

Back