Would any of you do an album for free?

JMD_Music

This is just something that went through my mind. As a producer, would any of you produce an entire album for free and sign an agreement that gave you a higher percentage of royalties? Maybe something around 25%. This would be for an artist that actually sells their music.

as an aspect of a rapper...i would and am putting all money out and no money in...so yeah...just for the love of music...sounds corny but its the truth

depends on the artist and the projected sales - but ultimately I would probably do it.......

Yea but who have you done it for? If Jay Z came up to you and offered you that, would you say no?

I think we need to be realistic.

Jay-z wouldn't come up to me or anyone here for a free album. And even if you were that good to do an album- it definitley wouldnt be for free. Unless you lived under a rock. Jay-z is on top of the food chain. I'm sure he wouldn't get you do an album for free and pay you jack. You should walk away with at least 100k. Even 50k. But anything less is an embarassment on his part and for you to accept.

I understand what you saying though and I would to gain experience, industry connections, get the game told, and learn. Although my time isn't free and I have bills and responsibilities as a man. I'm sure producers, rappers and anybody with any intellect can understand that and compensation is a requirement.

In summary: Fuk that free sh!t.

Last edited:
Yea but who have you done it for? If Jay Z came up to you and offered you that, would you say no?

Don't want to be rude but... stop dreaming.

Also, Jay-Z would probably pay you if you're worth it.

But we know it's not going to happen...

edit: Sorry for sounding harsh...

Last edited:
Don't want to be rude but... stop dreaming.

Also, Jay-Z would probably pay you if you're worth it.

But we know it's not going to happen...

edit: Sorry for sounding harsh...

I was making an example of an artist that actually sells records.

I give you a full album of tracks and youre only giving me 25 percent royalties?
I'd need half of everything you make if you cant afford to buy the beats.
Sure, the artist has to cover everything else but dog you just got an album worth of free beats so yeah lol

That's how I feel about working with people I've never heard of or who dont have a major buzz going in the industry.
But some one who could put you in a better position.. say if someone on Tyga's level said he wanted to do a mixtape with just your beats
The promotion could be worth it because people will be saying damn he didnt wanna mess with no other producers except this new, unheard of beat maker he must be dope as hell

If you end up getting 25%, you're getting PAID. I'd do it for an artist with a decent status.

I mean for every dollar in profit they make, you're making $0.25? Not bad...if they expect to sale. Compare that to label situations where an artist may get an advance(loan)but only actually makes $0.06 for every dollar profit while their face and name is on the cover of the CD.

I prefer being paid out upfront. That also let's me know you have enough faith in yourself to remove me from the equasion because you wanna rack in all that dough. I would never be mad at anyone who did.

Back