Windows 8 vs Mac IOS for music production

A Windows based system better than a UNIX based system? Are you SHITTING me???

Windows 8 is a MOBILE OS, that was ported to run on desktops and laptops. It's not made for desktop applications, it was built for mobile apps.

And OSX runs VST's all day. I have plenty of them running on my OSX Mountain Lion system. I don't even use AU's, because I don't use Logic.

My OSX system shits on my former Windows system. I'll never go back.

What software do you use for your sequencer?

Windows 8 is a MOBILE OS, that was ported to run on desktops and laptops. It's not made for desktop applications, it was built for mobile apps.

And OSX runs VST's all day. I have plenty of them running on my OSX Mountain Lion system. I don't even use AU's, because I don't use Logic.

C'mon Troup you can't seriosly say that win 8 was only built for mobile apps. Windows 8 is even more faster and more optimized than Windows 7 that was clearly a Desktop OS. That whole mobile apps thing is just an extention. For all the windows 8 tablets microsoft will use a stripped down win 8 version that will be indeed a mobile OS. But I'm talking about the real big Win 8 version.

About that vst thing. Sure there are vst's for macs but you can't load your windows .dll vst's just straight up in your mac. Official plugins like NI Battery have a mac vst installer but if you use some free plugins developed by some unknown folks you can't load them into your mac. You need a vst wrapper (like wacvst | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net) that can lead to crashing and other problems. I tried it several times and all my virtual guitar amp plugins just crashed on me in mountain lion (used Cubase as sequencer) I personally don't need that headache especially when win 7 and 8 always ran fine on my custom built desktop.

Just give Win 8 a try. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I believe you can make a bootcamp partition with your mac pro or macbook and install it. Then you could test Win 8 vs. OSX ML head to head performance-wise

Last edited:
Mac, Windows? Same shit, different packaging

I will tell you this, a custom built system will outbeat a regular one any day... the operating system doesn't really matter.

It really comes down to preference.

I have been running on Vista for a while now, didn't even bother upgrading to 7 but been thinking about jumping to 8. I kinda like the whole layout redesign.

Check this shit out.

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking

I don't think it's the architecture that is the issue so much as how bloated OSX is in order to be so advanced in terms of features.

If Windows 8 is designed with an emphasis on mobile efficiency then that only leaves more resources for music software, and I guess in philosophical terms it's similar to the advancement of processors after Intel did a U-turn towards technology that they were only using in laptops at the time.

Any new computer you buy should be expected to shit on your older system regardless of what platform you shift to.

I don't go in for all that Mac's are better for music wanderlust bullshit, because I know what it's based on.....history and running expensive Pro Tools hardware that is designed not to place any strain on the computer......something totally different to running a native DAW that does not rely on DSP hardware to do the heavy lifting.

I don't go in for all that Mac's are better for music wanderlust bullshit, because I know what it's based on.....history and running expensive Pro Tools hardware that is designed not to place any strain on the computer......something totally different to running a native DAW that does not rely on DSP hardware to do the heavy lifting.

Naw man................fuuck all of that!!!!!!!! I use 50 instances of Omniphere just for one pad sound with 8 cpu hungry effects...the hungriest....some beast shit. I use 40 tracks just to layer one kick and each on some hungry beast FX. I use 20 instances of Diva.......you now I got to throw the hungry beast FX.........8 of them on each to be exact. And it's all nothing!!! It's nothing!!! I play 5 movies while I make a beat.......it's nothing!!!!

Why?

Because I can!!!!! That's why!!

macpro2.jpg

Take that!!!!!

The funny thing though is..............all you really need is this.

NOW.......if Akai developed their own windows 8 type tablets for example...............it's over for Mac for the next 5 years til Mac does something totally new as far as music production.

Companies jump the gun on limitation. And people fell for it......I almost did myself.

Let's make a bet. I bet next year the PowerPad or IPad Power or some shit is introduced. Problem.......overpriced....limited still. It was only so long people were going to deal with being limited. Mac was smart though to stay limit while they were at the top.

Last edited:
To be honest, Win 7 works wonders and has the best Midi response for keyboards and music. Win 8 may have more features, but is basically the same audio-wise as Win 7 was.
true but windows 8 is still much faster. that may or may not be a big deal for you but i enjoy the extra speed and I absolutely loved windows 7

Check this shit out.

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking

I don't think it's the architecture that is the issue so much as how bloated OSX is in order to be so advanced in terms of features.

If Windows 8 is designed with an emphasis on mobile efficiency then that only leaves more resources for music software, and I guess in philosophical terms it's similar to the advancement of processors after Intel did a U-turn towards technology that they were only using in laptops at the time.

Any new computer you buy should be expected to shit on your older system regardless of what platform you shift to.

I've been a Windows Systems Administrator since the days of Windows 3.1. Before most of you were born.

I've been a Unix Systems Administrator (the underlying OS for Mac) since 2005. I don't need a benchmarking site to tell me what OS is better.

Windows 8 is a mobile platform built to compete with iOS, because quite frankly, desktop computing is going the way of the dinosaur. Apple realized that a long time ago, and Microsoft is just now accepting that fact, so they are trying to catch up.

But I digress.

Yes got it. Fun little app to create loops on the go. Sounds included ain't bad either. For .99 it's a good buy. 4/5
Favorite apps so far pertaining to music are Animoog, Nanostudio and AC-7

Figure is going to spark some creative beat making apps. It's the first of it's kind. Imagine 5 years from now.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

I thought they said most of your VST's wouldn't be Windows 8 compatible?

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I also heard that Windows 8 is mainly geared towards tablets. On KVR Audio... most people don't like it for music making.

true but windows 8 is still much faster. that may or may not be a big deal for you but i enjoy the extra speed and I absolutely loved windows 7

True but it's only faster because the newer Win 8 PC's have higher specs to begin with, simply because Win 8 takes up more memory/RAM to work in comparison to Win 7, and Win XP barely takes any if you downgrade on a new PC but the audio response needs to be manually tuned and still has a 100 ms delay.

Win 7 has Wave RT as well as Win 8 and probably everything else that comes after. So after that it's just a matter of preference.

Mac ios only has two advantages.........apps and docks. THAT'S IT. It's not even fair for them to go up against something like this that runs PC apps.

Acer Iconia W700-6691 NT.L0EAA.004 Tablet - 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 64GB SSD, 11.6 Full HD Touchscreen, Windows 8 64-bit, Dual Webcams at TigerDirect.com

Moooooooooooohahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6008431&Sku=U12-40740

Mac ios ain't even messing with android right now. It's over. Because you know they are going to keep limiting people. You are not going to get more memory from Mac ios. Not even 3 years from now with an ipad 8. They sat down and had to get right back up.....but they are not about to give you a way to insert memory with sd cards ect. They want you to upgrade if you want to use more of their 1/3000 ratio of good apps to settle for.

If you make music....you get a ipad...what you get is the opportunity to use the many docks that come made for it. That is a HUUGE advantage. But the only advantage. It's the reason why I still got love for Mac ios. But it's over as soon as I see a good keyboard dock for win 8 tablets. I'll wait one more year.

I was messing with this on the iphone.

It's cool. Make some riffs and through them into beatmaker. Too bad I got a 3G....couldn't get some of the stuff I wanted like Sampletank. :( I might just use this ihpone for just listening to music and get me itouch 4 32gb and mop the floor with yall. Everything now seems to be 4.3 or higher......so if you don't have a 3Gs or better then you will be pretty much assed out. All of that money spent gone so you can give it to ole Rice for free. lmao!!! Mac iOS fuucks you again!!!!!!
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/features/

But hell....I'm loving beatmaker though. 9 bucks....shiiiid...I spend that at mcdonalds.

Last edited:
the most common perception of iOS is that the UI is stable and extremely easy to use.

i also believe that perception is correct

Shit I got that MusicStudio on my phone...deleted it cause it annoyed the **** out me to use it and it took up like 8GB with the full shit.

So are you guys busting tablets and shit for real music production stuff? The most mobile shit I got is my OP-1, which is enough for me, I can sample shit on the fly, layout a 4 track and dump it into my PC, plus its synthesisers are pretty dope.
I got Macbook Pro with Logic 9 on my lab by that I can use it to control if I wanna play some keys in on the fly in Logic and not use the in-built, personally I prefer my PC though; more powerful, I can have like 8-10 instances of Kontakt Strings up, full battery orchestral percussion kits, and still be only at about 25% memory/CP power.

I don't understand why this is still a debate in music.

We always wanna know "what's better" like better isn't subjective.

My question is what hardware and/or OS released in the last 3-4 years can't handle anything you throw at them for music. You could get an acer netbook and run about 10 times as much stuff on it as people were doing on their Mac Pros a decade ago.

All of this stuff is more than capable of running flawlessly while creating music. We're to the point we debate which one is a few milleseconds faster, lol.

I've been a Windows Systems Administrator since the days of Windows 3.1. Before most of you were born.

I've been a Unix Systems Administrator (the underlying OS for Mac) since 2005. I don't need a benchmarking site to tell me what OS is better.

Windows 8 is a mobile platform built to compete with iOS, because quite frankly, desktop computing is going the way of the dinosaur. Apple realized that a long time ago, and Microsoft is just now accepting that fact, so they are trying to catch up.

But I digress.

I think you might have misunderstood what I said as I already pointed out that it's not the differences in architecture that is the issue, the difference is that the better OS is also using more resources.

in the meanwhile, lex luger out there banging on his i386 dx 2 66MHz and getting $$$

Life is so unfair... (lol)

Last edited:
I made some of the hardest shit I've made since back in the days when I didn't know what the fuuck I was doing...........................................on the iphone 3G. Shit went too hard.

Last edited:

Ah, the old "OS X is UniX" argument. Win 7 with good drivers and slightly tuned will outperform OS X. Nevermind the fact that Apple still sells hardware that is 2 generations behind newest Win/Linux-only hardware (remember kids: DRIVERS).

edit:too geeky and not really important.

You all are acting as if running a DAW was the holy grail of computing and OS X made nicer looking 0s and 1s than Windows.

Work on some 3D projects with 10+ TB renders and GBs of data per second that need to be read and written and done calculations on using dozens of math-intense plug ins and you will realize that running a DAW is a joke. Compared to the graphics and video market, the audio market is tiny and isignificant.

In short: researching the right hardware (with the right drivers) and the right tweaks to your Win7 system will benefit you more than all of the promises Apple's marketing department stopped fulfilling 10 years ago. For half the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back