Windows 8 vs Mac IOS for music production

Ah, the old "OS X is UniX" argument. Win 7 with good drivers and slightly tuned will outperform OS X. Nevermind the fact that Apple still sells hardware that is 2 generations behind newest Win/Linux-only hardware (remember kids: DRIVERS).

edit:too geeky and not really important.

You all are acting as if running a DAW was the holy grail of computing and OS X made nicer looking 0s and 1s than Windows.

Work on some 3D projects with 10+ TB renders and GBs of data per second that need to be read and written and done calculations on using dozens of math-intense plug ins and you will realize that running a DAW is a joke. Compared to the graphics and video market, the audio market is tiny and isignificant.

In short: researching the right hardware (with the right drivers) and the right tweaks to your Win7 system will benefit you more than all of the promises Apple's marketing department stopped fulfilling 10 years ago. For half the price.

Oh oh.... Mr. JLP added his 2 cents. Y'all had better listen lol...this guy REALLY knows what he is talking about, not just a bunch of words

I've been a Windows Systems Administrator since the days of Windows 3.1. Before most of you were born.

I've been a Unix Systems Administrator (the underlying OS for Mac) since 2005. I don't need a benchmarking site to tell me what OS is better.

Windows 8 is a mobile platform built to compete with iOS, because quite frankly, desktop computing is going the way of the dinosaur. Apple realized that a long time ago, and Microsoft is just now accepting that fact, so they are trying to catch up.

But I digress.

As an IT professional with more-or-less the same background, I can only co-sign to that. At the moment, I am more than happy with Win 7 64 bits, definitely no need for Windows 8.

True but it's only faster because the newer Win 8 PC's have higher specs to begin with, simply because Win 8 takes up more memory/RAM to work in comparison to Win 7, and Win XP barely takes any if you downgrade on a new PC but the audio response needs to be manually tuned and still has a 100 ms delay.

Win 7 has Wave RT as well as Win 8 and probably everything else that comes after. So after that it's just a matter of preference.
I am using my windows 7 pc that i upgraded to windows 8. i see a good deal of performance improvements.

Back