Will you continue to access message boards if you're signed?

C

CASTLE HILL

Personally I would not because I would be unconcerned with anything negative a fan might have to say. I'd only be concerned if you bought the cd or not.
Peep Game's publicist take on messsage boards. She also discusses the beef with 50 in detail.

She said the following:
I really dont think anyone should be on an interactive board, if you are an executive. Don't expect people to talk fair or respectful because its a message board. And if you post too frequently, they really think you are "one of them", so they talk to you accordingly. I feel the same applies to a signed arttist. Why subject yourself to the negativity. All that matters is if you bought the cd or not.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm56.showMessage?topicID=458.topic

Last edited by a moderator:
dj alonzo said:
Yes.It ain't that serious.

But it is when it becomes your profession. In other professions, people dont grant an open line of communication with the public on a constant basis. Only when they want to promote a product. That's like a pro athlete opening up the phone lines after every game.

I'l still access message boards, but I truly wil not give a shyt about what a bunch of music downloadin' ultra-elite bedroom producers have to say about the quality/direction/cohesiveness of my music.

If I'm not even a household name I wouldn't even let that shyt outta the bag.

CASTLE HILL said:
Personally I would not because I would be unconcerned with anything negative a fan might have to say. I'd only be concerned if you bought the cd or not.
Peep Game's publicist take on messsage boards. She also discusses the beef with 50 in detail.

She said the following:
I really dont think anyone should be on an interactive board, if you are an executive. Don't expect people to talk fair or respectful because its a message board. And if you post too frequently, they really think you are "one of them", so they talk to you accordingly. I feel the same applies to a signed arttist. Why subject yourself to the negativity. All that matters is if you bought the cd or not.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking (though unrealistic), that 1 million of your fans who bought your CD and made you platinum were members of a site like this and thaey all felt that you shouldn't put anymore crunk tunes on your album "...just leave it out. Give us that sampled stuff or we won't buy anymore of your albums." Wouldn't you be concerned then?

Personally, I would still visit if I had the time.

CASTLE HILL said:

But it is when it becomes your profession. In other professions, people dont grant an open line of communication with the public on a constant basis. Only when they want to promote a product. That's like a pro athlete opening up the phone lines after every game.
I guess it comes down to what you post on message boards for.

CASTLE HILL said:

She said the following:

Honestly...THATS THE DUMBEST DAMN THING I'VE EVER HEARD.

Basically this person said "you should put yourself above the people on the message boards because you are above them."

You're only concerned with them buying your CD? Exactly...THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT BUY YOUR CD!!! They pay your bills...Not the other way around. So don't go thinking you're better than them. Cuz just last week, you used to BE one of them.

If you don't give fans what they want on the record, then they aren't gonna buy your music. So i think as an artist, you better damn well listen to them.

Don't expect people to talk fair and respectful to you if you're on a message board? What, like you're some kind of DON all of a sudden or something, and people are supposed to Yes Sir, and No Ma'am you?

The truth is gonna come out on a message board. Not neccessarily all negative, but maybe not all positive either. People in your camp and your entourage prob aren't gonna give it to you straight. Cuz they are looking at you when they do it. And they dont' wanna get fired.

I'd probably trust the opinions of fans on the internet, then the bunch of Yes-Men that i'm gonna be surrounded by every single day.

Cuz fans aren't concerned with your money or what you can do for them. They are concerned about the music.

Remove yourself from the fans, and you will REMOVE THE FANS FROM YOURSELF.

Remember that.

And hell yes i'll post on message boards. I'll ask for feedback as well as give some advice to the youth. Each one teach one. It's the only way this thing is gonna survive.

j.troup said:

Honestly...THATS THE DUMBEST DAMN THING I'VE EVER HEARD.

Basically this person said "you should put yourself above the people on the message boards because you are above them."

You're only concerned with them buying your CD? Exactly...THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT BUY YOUR CD!!! They pay your bills...Not the other way around. So don't go thinking you're better than them. Cuz just last week, you used to BE one of them.

If you don't give fans what they want on the record, then they aren't gonna buy your music. So i think as an artist, you better damn well listen to them.

Don't expect people to talk fair and respectful to you if you're on a message board? What, like you're some kind of DON all of a sudden or something, and people are supposed to Yes Sir, and No Ma'am you?

The truth is gonna come out on a message board. Not neccessarily all negative, but maybe not all positive either. People in your camp and your entourage prob aren't gonna give it to you straight. Cuz they are looking at you when they do it. And they dont' wanna get fired.

I'd probably trust the opinions of fans on the internet, then the bunch of Yes-Men that i'm gonna be surrounded by every single day.

Cuz fans aren't concerned with your money or what you can do for them. They are concerned about the music.

Remove yourself from the fans, and you will REMOVE THE FANS FROM YOURSELF.

Remember that.

And hell yes i'll post on message boards. I'll ask for feedback as well as give some advice to the youth. Each one teach one. It's the only way this thing is gonna survive.

co-sign

plus i'll poost pics of ALLL MY COOOOL GEAR!!!! YEYAAAAAAAA!!

CASTLE HILL said:
And if you post too frequently, they really think you are "one of them", so they talk to you accordingly.

That's what jumped out at me too.

As if she's above everyone else who posts on the message board.

We've seen the phenomenon here on FP of more established people leaving due to receiving flak.

i couldn't expect anyone to stick around if they were talking a lot of ****. I'm sure some of the ignorance that is probly around here or other places might get frustrating.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Shemia
The message board can get people killed. This is dangerous. Here we have 100,000 White internet teenagers, no offense.
:cry:

Don't alot of stars have message boards?

I would post on boards but not a lot. The people that are inaccessible are the most successful because people are curious about them.

That's why Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna and all of the rest are MEGA stars and the ones that you see at every awards show... are just stars. People probably even wonder "What does Michael Jackson eat?" "Does Prince use SpeedStick or Secret?" Hmmm....

That lady said something sorta right, if you become the average joe to people and lose your allure... they won't buy your stuff. Fans are just that... fans, they like the people they can't get to. You sign autographs and haul ass. It's just part of the game. Hang out and be cool... the people start to say "He's down to earth, he's just like us... that nigga ain't nobody special... let's mess with him..."

They like to read about them and FAN-tasize about them. Like 50 Cent... people want to believe that he's a THUG.
But thugs that shoot people and do things the SKI MASK WAY don't walk around in the streets and do shows. So it's the allure and FAN-tasy that keep 50 alive. If he just hung out and you could run up on him and chat with him anytime you wanted to... he wouldn't be anybody special.

It's weird but people that feel like they know you won't buy anything from you.

I bet Gayle King doesn't watch Oprah.

I would get on boards just as much as any other star but I wouldn't become one of the homies.

I would do stuff like Shondrae did though when I see a legit question. But answering and responding to stuff like "What you got next and can we hear some?" Nope.

It's like that local rapper that's better than NAS, let him do a show in his town... 1,000 people if he's lucky... Nas = 10,000 people because he's not local and accessible.

It's messed up. You have to be a hermit and stay in VIP with Body Guards and only be seen for 10 minutes at a time.

Sir Mix-A-Lot hangs out up here... do you think anybody even turns their head.

Send him to Ft. Lewis, WA or something where people never see him "HEY! It's Sir Mix-A-Lot! What's up man!"

I would only peek out of windows and be seen running fast as hell to my destinations.

I'd be that mysterious cat... "Hey, anybody ever seen what BIGG ROME looks like?". "What kinda of toilet paper does BIGG ROME use?" "Does BIGG ROME use FL Studio?"

I would throw in a few lies in interviews too. "Yep, I hit Beyonce back when she was 16 and a 1/2 one night after a talent show, sure did. R. Kelly was in the building that night too asking where was the bathroom because he had to piss."

Last edited by a moderator:
If I got signed I'd probably post on the board on my official site occasionally, if
I had one, see whats up with the fans and what their fav tracks are and etc.

I would still post on here if i had time. And a lot of people here have some good advice or are going thru the same stuff that I am with certain equipment. So i don't see why not..

I will still post here and link this on my site. There will be an "Ask Tyree D." forum here moderated by me.

Tyree D. said:
I will still post here and link this on my site. There will be an "Ask Tyree D." forum here moderated by me.

i have a feeling that it'll be in need of MAJOR disinfectant.

biggrome said:

The people that are inaccessible are the most successful because people are curious about them.

That's why Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna and all of the rest are MEGA stars and the ones that you see at every awards show... are just stars. People probably even wonder "What does Michael Jackson eat?" "Does Prince use SpeedStick or Secret?" Hmmm....

That lady said something sorta right, if you become the average joe to people and lose your allure... they won't buy your stuff. Fans are just that... fans, they like the people they can't get to. You sign autographs and haul ass. It's just part of the game. Hang out and be cool... the people start to say "He's down to earth, he's just like us... that nigga ain't nobody special... let's mess with him..."

They like to read about them and FAN-tasize about them. Like 50 Cent... people want to believe that he's a THUG.
But thugs that shoot people and do things the SKI MASK WAY don't walk around in the streets and do shows. So it's the allure and FAN-tasy that keep 50 alive. If he just hung out and you could run up on him and chat with him anytime you wanted to... he wouldn't be anybody special.

It's weird but people that feel like they know you won't buy anything from you.

I was thinking about that the other day as it relates to Xibit. I think he killed his rap career when he signed up for Pimp My Ride. Everyone sees him as this jovial, down to earth, everyday person now and it's going to be hard to convince anyone that he's as hard as he's claiming to be on record.

Last edited:
Back