Will it be possible to soundproof a room with hollow? walls..?

Antistyle

Hello everybody.. !

So.. recently I moved to a different room in my house upstairs (2nd floor) with 2 windows
and found out that my walls were hollow (not concrete) when I tap my fingers against the walls it makes a loud noise..
I am not too sure how the wall was made but it feels hollow to me.. I will post the dimension of my room later.

So this is the question:

Will it be possible to soundproof a room like this?? If you can or cant what would be the best possible solution
to reduce maximum noise and bass from leaving the room?

Thank you !

structure within structure is the only way to soundproof a space - it is the decoupled nature (internal structure is not connected to the external structure in any way) of structure within structure that is important to reducing transmission of sound.

hollow walls are a start as you can consider doing things like filling the walls with sound or foam insulation

structure within structure is the only way to soundproof a space - it is the decoupled nature (internal structure is not connected to the external structure in any way) of structure within structure that is important to reducing transmission of sound.

hollow walls are a start as you can consider doing things like filling the walls with sound or foam insulation

Thank you for the reply!
I was wondering If soundproof pads will work (that squishy material almost like sponge ?) which I saw at a drum shop ..
and maybe a layer of egg cartons or something that might help ??

Those pads are called sound treatment pads and egg cartons do not have the right density/mass for the job - they are not even good for sound dispersion/absorption, in spite of the urban myths surrounding their utility - just because they look like a particular model of foam, does not make them capable of doing the job of that foam.

To stop sound from being transmitted you need to create a room inside of a room and have neither touch the other at any point - it is the structure that carries sound out of the room

Pads of foam diffuse/absorb certain frequencies to control the frequency response of the room, not to stop sound leaving it

Back