Why the J. Cole hype?

Cant say I agree that he is boring. But keep in mind, he has the (Carter) machine behind him. Hence the hype. Hova makes a dollar off that 360 deal Cole signed, so "to get a return on your investment, then attention you pay!" - Jay-Z - Guns and Roses

The only thing I don't like about him is his flow and delivery. I'm not a huge fan of his content but I can't front.

Where his shit is at is the beats. No other beat like Hiiipower came out in the past years.

But no rapper could do it justice.

I think "Born Sinner" is great. No gimmicks.

Disagree with "no gimmicks."

#1. Released on Kanye's release date purposely. Would he have sold the amount he did if he didn't? Nope! -50k to -100k. Smart move.....he should thank Kanye. For the reason dude did it shows he knows he ain't good. lmao! NUFF SAID!

#2. Name dropping and style stealing. The dude made a song called "Let Nas Down"......he bites Pac's songwriting style on a single....Crooked Smile.....foh, album title was thought of in the likes of Biggie, a bunch of the beats were "Timbaland" 2003 knock offs..........yall call it inspiration....I call it what it is...BITING WITH A PURPOSE. He gets away with the shit because he appears to be "a nice guy that loves hip hop" instead of the studio gangsta type.

#3. But under his breath of being "a nice guy who loves hip hop"...he slips in why he should be one of the greatest. Nobody is going to call him out on his bullshit after Drake showed these type of rappers they don't have to be scared of the hip hop bullies.

People don't like J.Cole......they think they are suppose to like him. So when they see the name, it feels like something they are suppose to have. The gimmicks only work for so long.

Last edited:

#1. Released on Kanye's release date purposely. Would he have sold the amount he did if he didn't? Nope! -50k to -100k. Smart move.....he should thank Kanye. For the reason dude did it shows he knows he ain't good. lmao! NUFF SAID!

#2. Name dropping and style stealing. The dude made a song called "Let Nas Down"......he bites Pac's songwriting style on a single....Crooked Smile.....foh, album title was thought of in the likes of Biggie, a bunch of the beats were "Timbaland" 2003 knock offs..........yall call it inspiration....I call it what it is...BITING WITH A PURPOSE. He gets away with the shit because he appears to be "a nice guy that loves hip hop" instead of the studio gangsta type.

#3. But under his breath of being "a nice guy who loves hip hop"...he slips in why he should be one of the greatest. Nobody is going to call him out on his bullshit after Drake showed these type of rappers they don't have to be scared of the hip hop bullies.

People don't like J.Cole......they think they are suppose to like him. So when they see the name, it feels like something they are suppose to have. The gimmicks only work for so long.

But are those gimmicks?

#1. Release date to compete with Yeezus.. That's just a business decision. Like you said, a "smart move".

#2. I'd rather hear someone talk about the "state of the game" than cars and money. If that takes some name-dropping, then so be it. He respects the legends...

#3. ...while believing that yeah, he's a little deeper and more skilled than some of the new acts that have been out the last couple years. Bragging is new to Hip-Hop?

I meant there's no cuddly Pop tunes, it's not packed to the brim with features, like French Montana's album. And he didn't release it to coincide with the birth of his Pop-star baby, either.

Well the album's focus was his challenges/obstacles after becoming famous. So as far as name dropping with "Let Nas Down", he was talking about one of the results of not being true to his music Single wise with his song Work Out.

Every rapper that has come after Pac has bit his writing style lol. Hell even many of them did during his time.

I thought about the album title too, thinking it was in reference to Biggie, but he mentioned that the name came from James Fauntleroy writing the hook to a song for him, creating the album and song name, and that the Biggie line just complemented it.

Lmao at the Timbaland knock offs, I thought it sounded more of like a ripoff of Kanye's MBDTF album.

I respect your opinion but just curious Rice, how much of Cole's music have you heard? Lol I can see how he can be boring but some of ya'll making it seem like he has no skill whatsoever.

I actually liked the album but still prefer Friday Night Lights over it.

Cole got skills. Double threat, beats and rhymes. I think the progression from the the last to this one has been solid. I don't think he's peaked yet. He's better lyrically than most people think and his beats are getting better. He's the type of cat u sign on potential alone. I understand if u not into him, but its a damn good second official release.

But are those gimmicks?

#1. Release date to compete with Yeezus.. That's just a business decision. Like you said, a "smart move".

#2. I'd rather hear someone talk about the "state of the game" than cars and money. If that takes some name-dropping, then so be it. He respects the legends...

#3. ...while believing that yeah, he's a little deeper and more skilled than some of the new acts that have been out the last couple years. Bragging is new to Hip-Hop?

I meant there's no cuddly Pop tunes, it's not packed to the brim with features, like French Montana's album. And he didn't release it to coincide with the birth of his Pop-star baby, either.

Don't let #1 fool you. It wasn't about competition.....that was a terrible excuse he made for his gimmick. He remembered the Kanye/50 release.....he needed a "boost" for his lack of confidence in his own work. Bet he won't battle a real M.C since he is so "competitive". :D

Mac Miller on the other hand shouldn't have released near Kanye's release. He should've went before and about four months after. J.Cole wants to be up there with the big names, though....so I show him no mercy...he wants that....he has to come with it...because he is "so far gone" from it (pun intended).

#2.....cool......me, I'm more fed up with rappers talking about "the state of the game" and their boring thoughts than rappers talking about cars and money....at least they know how to have a good time. I was fed up back in the 90's.....they still haven't stopped. He don't "respect" the legends....he trying to be a legend off of using their styles...but he hasn't proved "why" he deserves any spot on two albums in which leads to....

#3. What spot does he have that people have taken? See...that's the mind of a rapper stuck in 2003. Back when it was all about being the king or being on top 10s and all that. Back with Ether and Take Over........J.Cole braggin......but he should be compared to how no name rappers bragged in the 90's and got no love because they had nothing but "words"....it took more than words or messages. J.Cole has "nothing to offer"....can somebody please tell me what does he have to offer besides raps and beats?

Last edited:
I am not sure you understand what a gimmick is, nothing you stated there is a gimmick. A gimmick is something like Hopsin with white eye contacts and crazy, wild ass lyrics or

1. Somebody already pointed out that that was a busuiness decision, Same thing 50 cent did with Kanye back in the day.

2. Every rapper has influences, there is nothing new under the sun. You can pick a part any rapper and say something like that

3. Not sure how this point has anything to do with the conversation really.. Because he is a nice guy he can't be the greatest? Since when was that in the criteria?

I really don't see how you guys think he is boring.. There is so much wordplay in his verses you can barley catch yourself before you get hit with another one. And he doesn't talk about the typical rapper topics either and he spits with so much emotion.

Maybe I just can't see it how you do. BTW, if Cole is boring name some other rappers you find boring and some you find fun/entertaining..

" Can somebody tell me what he has to offer besides raps and beats"

A real message, dude spits on some real life shit that people can relate to, He raps about poverty and hope, abortion and baby drama, friends passing away, all types of shit man. If you ever been through something like that i don't see how you can not feel Cole.

And if you want to talk about bragging lets bring up Kanye's " I am a God" lol.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but just curious Rice, how much of Cole's music have you heard? Lol I can see how he can be boring but some of ya'll making it seem like he has no skill whatsoever.

First and second album. Yall made me listen to them. Because I couldn't believe that the guy that made the Mentos sounding song called Work Out was this big "savior of hip hop". And I've been on his ass every since.

What is skill? I mean...I see the word skills in hip hop differently than most. It doesn't take much to do what J.Cole does.....that's my point. He is no different than the 400k rappers out there on various sites......he is actually less than a rapper to about 30% of that number. It's not a growth thing...it's a "he ain't got it in him" thing. He would have to literally cry with passion on the next album on some "One Mic" type of shit for me to even respect him. He ain't garbage though. Just few decibels below average.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

lol, yes. He ain't no Wale.........

We sitting here still talking about J.Cole....Wale's album is 10X better.....after Kanye's album. J.COLE IS ALL HYPE........ Which = J.Cole didn't want Wale numbers....he wanted Kanye numbers. lol! He failed....but still benefited from it....because he would've did Mac Miller numbers.

The Gifted > Born Sinner by a mile. Born Sinner sound 2.5 decibels above some Tyler shit.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

I am not sure you understand what a gimmick is, nothing you stated there is a gimmick. A gimmick is something like Hopsin with white eye contacts and crazy, wild ass lyrics............... OR......

Announcing to the world you are releasing your album "EARLY" so it can be released at the same time as another artist who is waaaaaaaaaay more popular.....announcing it so people feel he is in the same league..........GIMMICK.....he ain't on Ye's level. 50 and Ye had an understanding on their "gimmick"....two power players who knew they would "benefited" from it. J.Cole knew this......he did not want to fail. Let's look even deeper......if he had of released his album on Wale's release date......Wale would've done J.Cole numbers. J.Cole would've been minus -100k....straight up.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

2. Every rapper has influences, there is nothing new under the sun. You can pick a part any rapper and say something like that

Wrong..........that's called using an originator's success or style for their own gain (people act in the style of a pimp.......does it mean they are a pimp because they act like what they inspire to be..???..can't be a pimp with no hoes....but they can fool people by the way they dress and act....like the pimp they inspire to be.). If rappers were "influenced" FOR REAL....they would want to be "LIKE" an originator.....and be an "original".

Originator......influenced by the likes of James Brown, MJ........
rapper-mystikal.jpg

Clone dude......before he was known...he was probably told "YOU SOUND LIKE MYSTIKAL"......became a product (in the image of) who was "to the south" the best rapper out in his day....in the UNDERGROUND.
petey-pablo-net-worth.jpg

Big difference. Crooked frown..........................................crooked frown......................(insert Pac laugh).............crooked frown.

I haven't skipped this Wale album yet......might buy this album. It's killin Kanye, J.Cole, and Mac Miller......personal taste.....plus dude is humble......HAD A SINGLE KILLING IT IN THE SOUTH......and uoeno...should be in people's top 5 albums this year........but of course....yall like that werid....cough...yall have different taste. lol! :D

pssssssss.....yall can't be serious. Kendrick Lamar's album ain't messing with this album man.

Last edited:
First and second album. Yall made me listen to them. Because I couldn't believe that the guy that made the Mentos sounding song called Work Out was this big "savior of hip hop". And I've been on his ass every since.

What is skill? I mean...I see the word skills in hip hop differently than most. It doesn't take much to do what J.Cole does.....that's my point. He is no different than the 400k rappers out there on various sites......he is actually less than a rapper to about 30% of that number. It's not a growth thing...it's a "he ain't got it in him" thing. He would have to literally cry with passion on the next album on some "One Mic" type of shit for me to even respect him. He ain't garbage though. Just few decibels below average.

Try listening to Friday Night Lights or the Warm Up cuz if the first thing I heard from him was his first album, I wouldn't like him that much either LOL.

Good job ranting for two pages guys.

The hype is cause he makes pretty dope music. Clear ?

Lyricism, flows, beats, delivery.

But I can't really expect you to fully understand something simple, if you did the music uploaded on here wouldn't be so ....... bad ?

Did you ****ing hear the song "Crooked smile". I don't need to hear the entire album to know it's good.

Also he is a realistic dude, no tony montana godfather moving 3 ki's of coke weekly and bodybaging his enemies.

It's like real life lyrics but not in a to innocent way he still brags a bit, talks sex a bit, money a bit, and jail / streets a bit. But not in a - yo my life is a gangsta movie - type of way.

How can somebody be a good rapper and not notice J Cole's lyricism ? Yep cause you ain't a good rapper in the first place. Sorry but true.

Dumb arguments bout hype machine - they choose the best rapper they can find and then hype him. Everybody get's hyped. Every major label hypes their artists.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I win the internets for tonight.

Aye aye aye I make the forum say aye aye (OJ juiceman joke.... )

Anyways I'll go out now. To much home and computer not good for me. So, see you guys.

Back