Why should older rappers stop?

Olie

I'm curious because of the whole Eminem thing lately, i've heard "he's too old" so many times since his album release. I don't get it? Can someone articulate why when i a rapper gets old *some* people immediately turn on them regardless of music quality?

Because some people just do that. I only say a rapper should stop is when they don't feel their own music anymore. Even when rappers get old they still have their fanbase who've grown old with them. Usually the he's too old statement comes from a younger crowd that is not interested in said rapper's music. The rapper shouldn't really listen to them, because that crowd isn't exactly their target fanbase anymore.

I dont think they should stop just make music for their older fanbase. Young people want to be able to see someone who looks like them. Older rappers sometimes remind them of their parents especially if they're on some positive non ignorant shit. Some older artists like 2 chainz are able to fool the public because he's talking that young shit they want to hear;drinking syrup, popping pills, spending money on strippers, wearing the lastest fashion, and fuking females. That shit sounds new and exciting to the young ins whereas you get older, you dont get as excited over females and drugs. You're concerned with real adult issues.

Last edited:
jay z and 2 chainz still poppin, and they old.
2 of the oldest rappers still killin it.

to answer your question........ they shouldnt stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a lot to do with the change in their music, due to them getting older. Their music will change over time and people want the old rapper back. I don't think they should stop, they are the only one that gets that choice.

I dont think its the fact that they're too old.. like wack-azz-producer said, Jay-Z and 2Chainz still poppin.. With Eminem, i feel like his music isnt really grabbin the interest he thought. his name automatically bring back old fans and some new but i think once they hear some of the songs they dont really like it.. plus these new rappers like Keef taking over the streets.. where most of the audience is.. eminem captures the white people lmao i aint racist either.. i am white

Just MO, but I think its cool if the artist grows as a human being and is rapping about their current life NOW. When I hear 50 rapping about pushing crack and shooting dudes on site, I think "GTFO out of here with that bullsh*t." If Dr. Dre was rapping about people being terrified when he bumps his music down the street, I would think the same thing.

But if you look at Jay, he raps about sh*t he currently deals with. I can accept that. But when I hear some near 50 year old man still rapping about the same sh*t he was doing in his teens, I think "You too god damn old to be rapping about that nonsense. One, it's lies. And two, you seem to have no care about how you influence people, and you're damn near 50 years old."

Just MO, but I think its cool if the artist grows as a human being and is rapping about their current life NOW. When I hear 50 rapping about pushing crack and shooting dudes on site, I think "GTFO out of here with that bullsh*t." If Dr. Dre was rapping about people being terrified when he bumps his music down the street, I would think the same thing.

But if you look at Jay, he raps about sh*t he currently deals with. I can accept that. But when I hear some near 50 year old man still rapping about the same sh*t he was doing in his teens, I think "You too god damn old to be rapping about that nonsense. One, it's lies. And two, you seem to have no care about how you influence people, and you're damn near 50 years old."

2 Chainz is damn near 40 doing it and has no problems selling.

They should stop rapping, their fanbases have grown kids and they have more life experiences that are not relevant to a young person that's trying to "figure themselves out".

They could evolve and not try to compete with young rappers and pretend they're not old. Embrace being old. I do. I have a bald head and gray hair in my goatee, I don't sag, I swag full throttle.

They don't have to roll over and die but it's like you at your age being club age and chasing women showing up on a Sesame street show. You're different now. You've seen and done more things no matter if you became anything or not. It's why older people mentor younger people instead of trying to be the young people.

Eminem can out rap a lot of young artists... but I doubt if they care about his wife or his daughter now. When he was younger, people his age were going through those things at the same time.

Hip Hop moves fast, lifespan of 5 years is incredible now.

They should make more "quality" songs instead of showing off of their lyrical chops. Make music that spans generations and maybe a younger crowd will be able to relate.

It happens to everyone, every dog has his day... then the puppies run shit eventually. Not trying to be negative, but I cringe when I see old dudes saggin'. Rappin' is like basketball, you'll eventually have to retire because somebody that studied you... takes your spot.

It even happens with beats... can Dr. Dre compete with young dudes using Fruity Loops now? Answer honestly.

Last edited:
Rome pretty much hit it. It's not about "stopping", it's about developing. If you can't develop, you're 40m years old still doing stuff like bragging about getting puss or trying to prove you're gangsta. That's when it get's sad.

Example...R. Kelly should stop singing after that last album full of songs about how many hoes and how much money he has, because unlike Jay and 2Chainz, we know his old azz likes 14 year olds, went broke behind beating a charge off one, and I doubt he's pleasing these women as he says he does by peeing in their face.

If he was making songs like "I beleive I can fly" right now, it may be a different thing.

If a musician keeps it real with his fans, that's gonna be the secret to longevity. That's why rockers prosper into their 60s. Hip hop guys tend to think they still have to 'be as real as Cheef Keef" when they're 40. They dig their own graves by not developing with age and transitioning to a new place.

Rome pretty much hit it. It's not about "stopping", it's about developing. If you can't develop, you're 40m years old still doing stuff like bragging about getting puss or trying to prove you're gangsta. That's when it get's sad.

Example...R. Kelly should stop singing after that last album full of songs about how many hoes and how much money he has, because unlike Jay and 2Chainz, we know his old azz likes 14 year olds, went broke behind beating a charge off one, and I doubt he's pleasing these women as he says he does by peeing in their face.

If he was making songs like "I beleive I can fly" right now, it may be a different thing.

If a musician keeps it real with his fans, that's gonna be the secret to longevity. That's why rockers prosper into their 60s. Hip hop guys tend to think they still have to 'be as real as Cheef Keef" when they're 40. They dig their own graves by not developing with age and transitioning to a new place.

Yep, R. Kelly is capabable of a I believe I can fly.... but he makes a song about eating a chick like an Oreo.

They should call dudes "Rachet". A waste of talent... that will unfortunately live on.

I can't say I can really fault him for his mental capacity though, there are people that don't know any better and are attention whores.

If anyone here could sing like R. Kelly and were from Chicago... would you choose to sing about World Peace?

Should we wish these people did not have "like minded" people in the World? Chris Brown is a total F up but still has supporters. Even Rihanna still phuggs with him.

I don't know Chris Brown so my judgment of him is pretty much media based.

Last edited:
"I only say a rapper should stop is when they don't feel their own music anymore", I must say I agree with this statement. I think some people shouldn't start for the same damn reason. Music is just a new hustle to some....no love for it! Instead of selling drugs; ducking the cops, worrying about the stick-up boys and competing with rivals, they just lie about it without the headache and make more money. I never knock someone elses hustle, but I will give my opinion on it. I ain't feeling it! The "real" is gone. When people say "real talk" I immediately suspect the opposite.

"I only say a rapper should stop is when they don't feel their own music anymore", I must say I agree with this statement. I think some people shouldn't start for the same damn reason. Music is just a new hustle to some....no love for it! Instead of selling drugs; ducking the cops, worrying about the stick-up boys and competing with rivals, they just lie about it without the headache and make more money. I never knock someone elses hustle, but I will give my opinion on it. I ain't feeling it! The "real" is gone. When people say "real talk" I immediately suspect the opposite.

the rappers lying about that shit are smarter because they get the money, and fame, without the actual consequences.
the real niggas that actually do the shit, arent rapping about it because they're in jail, or got killed.
rappers are entertainers bro.
you wanna hear from REAL niggas about that shit, go to the hood.

Yep, R. Kelly is capabable of a I believe I can fly.... but he makes a song about eating a chick like an Oreo.

They should call dudes "Rachet". A waste of talent... that will unfortunately live on.

I can't say I can really fault him for his mental capacity though, there are people that don't know any better and are attention whores.

If anyone here could sing like R. Kelly and were from Chicago... would you choose to sing about World Peace?

Should we wish these people did not have "like minded" people in the World? Chris Brown is a total F up but still has supporters. Even Rihanna still phuggs with him.

I don't know Chris Brown so my judgment of him is pretty much media based.

i'd be singing about licking ******* like oreos too if thats whats gonna get the hoes to come and sell out concerts.
r kelly came to my city a few months back and sold out the arena. SO MANY HOES OF ALL AGES were there.
the comments and ratings on youtube are majority in favor of r kelly rapping about licking hoes like oreos.
to be known for songs like "bump n grind", and "you remind me of my jeep", r kelly is just fulfilling his niche as always, and his target fan base loves it.

that "i believe i can fly" joint was my shit though.
he wont be able to top that though. whats better than flying???

I gotta disagree with the example of R Kelly because that's what his fanbase wants to hear from him. The nasty the raunchy. If R Kelly would've turned on a spiritual tip and wrote more songs like I believe I can fly I don't think his career would've lasted as long as it has so far

^^^I'll be real with you, if that shyt still sales, cool. I don't knock no one's hustle. I honestly don't keep track of dude to know. I personally have issues with people who prey on children, so even if he is on a chart, I probably overlooked it. I honestly thought his sales were waaaaayyyyyy down since that incident, but i don't keep up. If people are buying that shyt, salute.

That seems even weirder though, when(within what environment) do fans play an R. Kelly album? Lol.

^^^I'll be real with you, if that shyt still sales, cool. I don't knock no one's hustle. I honestly don't keep track of dude to know. I personally have issues with people who prey on children, so even if he is on a chart, I probably overlooked it. I honestly thought his sales were waaaaayyyyyy down since that incident, but i don't keep up. If people are buying that shyt, salute.

That seems even weirder though, when(within what environment) do fans play an R. Kelly album? Lol.

He has had a lot of success, but his last really big hits was around 2008-2010. Since then he's kinda focused on his dedicated fanbase. But honestly go to one of his shows. 30 and up women will have it sold out and they throw them panties.

But to answer the question naw his sales didn't go down after the incident. I think Chocolate Factory was his best selling Album, could be wrong, but he had some great success after the scandal came out. Plus he was acquitted of the charges.

^^^I'll be real with you, if that shyt still sales, cool. I don't knock no one's hustle.

I do. Music and arts in general has to elevate people. Has to make us better individuals and society. Has to makes us understand the world that we live in and give us questions for food for thought on how to change it for the better.

So if someone thinks that making idiot music is cool because he is selling, why should I help him with that? Its like the "smack her with a dick" thing Chris Rock was talking about man...

R.Kelly was high as hell when he wrote I believe I can fly. That and world's greatest. lmao.

And yall young asses too young to be listening to hip hop. Parental Advisory. We got to listen to the music first and then see if it is appropriate for yall youngins. lmao! So no more Drake for you until you get 18. Drake's music may influence you to steal my carand be a baby having a baby. When you 18 you can get the hell out.......you ain;t playing that Drake shit in my house. You too young....can;t handle that kind of peer pressure.

Back