Why sample from vinyl???

GjB said:
I feel you Deranged...too many people think they aren't keeping it real if they aren't sampling from only vinyl. I also bet alot of people on here say they sample from vinyl when they're really rippin from .mp3s
I agree and disagree with this. I agree that you don't have to sample from vinyl to make good music. I agree much of the time you can't hear a difference (and sometimes it sounds signficantly worse from vinyl when people dont record right).

If you started with vinyl, you will probably stay with vinyl. Mp3 are free, but records not pricey. People don't get that actually buying records (digging) is actually a hobby, not just a source of finding samples. I'm sure you all have much more expensive hobbies than that, even 1 video game that is new could supply me with months of vinyl when i'm broke. And the same issue will always come up, the rareity. I maybe own 5 or so "rare" records, i actually own a few that i know for a fact no other hip hop producer owns. But even if a sample was "rare" before it's on the net, once it reaches the net, it's not rare by any means. But at the end of the day, it's not even that, it's just how you work. I'd much rather put on some records and find something, set it aside for later than to want to make a beat, get online, and pick something to sample. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. It's just the way i work, as do alot of others. It's not right or wrong, but it's how i work personally.

Me personally for the way I record the samples into my MPC using vinyl is more convient. I record the sample into my MPC in small increments and it's a b*tch when I miss a part that I'm trying to record when I'm sampling from a CD, PC, etc. It gets frustrating when I accidentally rewind back to far, then I have to fast forward again. But vinyl has to be manually rewound so it's much easier to spin the record back without missing the part you want.

3D Beats said:
I agree and disagree with this. I agree that you don't have to sample from vinyl to make good music. I agree much of the time you can't hear a difference (and sometimes it sounds signficantly worse from vinyl when people dont record right).

If you started with vinyl, you will probably stay with vinyl. Mp3 are free, but records not pricey. People don't get that actually buying records (digging) is actually a hobby, not just a source of finding samples. I'm sure you all have much more expensive hobbies than that, even 1 video game that is new could supply me with months of vinyl when i'm broke. And the same issue will always come up, the rareity. I maybe own 5 or so "rare" records, i actually own a few that i know for a fact no other hip hop producer owns. But even if a sample was "rare" before it's on the net, once it reaches the net, it's not rare by any means. But at the end of the day, it's not even that, it's just how you work. I'd much rather put on some records and find something, set it aside for later than to want to make a beat, get online, and pick something to sample. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. It's just the way i work, as do alot of others. It's not right or wrong, but it's how i work personally.
No offense, but this is the defence mechanism. Who said MP3s? I didn't download the over 3,000 CDs, over 400 DVDs, the 5 Crates of records, or the boxes full of tapes in the attic I use to sample(I do own some downloaded old school NES games I've sampled).

I should be done with this, but here's why I'm still loss. Not because of guys like myself who sample anything, but because of guys who feel the only source to get music from is vinyl(not saying you're one of them, I'm overexplaining because I'm trying to have a discussion, not an argument). I'm also loss to the belief records you find in a used bin are "rare". You can come off with a jewel every once in a while, but those records with only 1200 copies pressed from 1962 will run you more than a video game. I've been to yardsales where I buy a whole crate of CDs for dirt cheap, same thing.

Reasons I use vinyl. These are solely my opinions
1.) Simply I find it easier to rewind and get right to the part with my hand. I know itunes has the slider but i just find it easier to rewind.
2.) The sound eh its okay sometimes its good character but i just like the vintage sound when i'm using only hardware.
But the main reason i use vinyl.....
3.) I don't just sample jazz soul and funk from the US. Alot of that yea go ahead and get the MP3. But i get like 50's hawaian albums, crazy symphonies from unheard of orchestras, japanese soundtracks, harpo sound effects. Just hella wierd stuff that i can probably find easier on vinyl cuz it probably was never remade. Not saying it's rare stuff it's just different

Oh and to everybody (pimpmatik) saying vinyl collectors are square purist collectors who have nothing better to do than collect vinyl not true. I digg but it doesnt consume me much more than it would searching for a real useable sample on the internet. Either way if you want to get something good it takes time i just find that the stuff that people arent looking at is more readily available in vinyl

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
No offense, but this is the defence mechanism. Who said MP3s? I didn't download the over 3,000 CDs, over 400 DVDs, the 5 Crates of records, or the boxes full of tapes in the attic I use to sample(I do own some downloaded old school NES games I've sampled).
Sorry, and i did generalize mp3 as the "non-vinyl" way to sample. I think most of that comes from people hitting me up all the time, asking me where the mp3's are at. I guess my point really is, it's not that vinyl is better, or has superior qualities, it's just that if started with this way of doing things, it's hard to leave it. I could dl all day and like i said, i've tried before when i was limited on time or money. I can't work like that. That's the Mp3 part. And again, it is a hobby as much as it is a source to buy records.

As for rare, i think you read it wrong. Out of all my vinyl, only about 5 records are rare. I'm just saying that anything on the net ends up getting constantly flipped. I know so many samples that have been flipped 4000X but still, i've never heard on an album. That's where the mp3 stuff popped in my head.

I truely don't believe one is better than the other. I know what works for me, vinyl records. It's not because of anything else but it is not a folder on my computer. I can't ususally sit down on my computer and listen to get inspired. And when i'm fresh out of samples, i can't just DL something and make a track at the same level as when i actually find something through listening. It's the process. I'm sure i could get that from a cd too, or a tape, but it has yet to work for me. As for mp3's, i know that just doesn't work.

For the record, i'm not debating this, i'm just explaing my side. I respect you for being willing to not only explain other ways but even come back to this. I'm just not trying to say my way is better. It's just better for me. It's not the format, it's the process

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^Yeah, but I'm leaving this alone. It's a 2 year old thread I shouldn't have started back then.Back when I did start it, I didn't know what I know now. I ginuinely was asking if people who sampled from vinyl exclusively thought it gave some type advantage.

Instead of answering, people with a crate or 2 of bullsh*t get defensive, and I realized average dude on FP doesn't even have a real collection. I own over 3,000 CDs. About 85-90% of those are owned for samples. And I don't just sample from them. That would be just as limiting.

And f**k 10 dollars a crate, I've paid $70 for 1 rare record because it was rare. Ain't nothing in a 10 dollar crate that you can't find in a dollar CD bin. Hence my saying records are expensive.

I apologize for ever starting this thread 2 years ago. But ever notice on FP when someone wants to know where a sample's from, I usually have the CD? Alot more stuff is repressed than you guys wanna believe.

www.Amazon.com

This is simply just not true. Vinyl is like this... it's garbage to most people. When you buy used CD's, any damage is going to **** up the sound quality of the whole disc because of that little click click click sound or actual, brutal skipping, even with CD cleaners. Vinyl... at least... even if it's literally been shot, will have a couple spots on it that are clean, and even just one dope break is worth it.

There is so much stuff on vinyl, SO much stuff that is totally interesting and will never ever be pressed to CD. This is simply a fact. From the promo demo's that radio stations get and then tossed away, to old educational nursery rhyme records from the 70's, and... depending on where you live, I'm close to texas, so I get a lot of mexican disco through the border.

Also, it's not psychological, listening to a record, hearing that analog vibe, is way, way different than hearing something from a disc that came out of a plastic case. It's older materials, older qualities, to some people, even if it's stupid, that **** can be important.

It's seems ridiculous to me that you at all want to question this. Cd's are cool, or whatever form you want to get your stuff from, more power to you. But to be weirded out by vinyl cats who only get down like that... they might say vinyl is the only way to go... but who are they? The police? Why are you so threatened by their rules?

Some people are really passionate about stuff like that... at least it's something. As opposed to being passionate about exposing weaknesses in the people who prefer records over Cd's for making hip hop. When honestly... where does the argument end?

Well, most hip hop is on cd's these days, why does almost any and every self-respecting dj worth his salt, even if he uses serato, scratch live... etc. Why do they always use Technics 1200's? Why not get a pioneer CD-DJ setup. I'm sure some douche bag could have a million and one reasons why it's old, obsolete technology. But that's all douche bags are good for.

For some people, placing restrictions on yourself generates a lot of creativity. Some people are challenging themselves to use only vinyl, and finding ways to still do something cool. Not that every, or even most, vinyl-purists think that way, but a few do.

I think I remember DJ Shadow saying that the whole point of Endtroducing... was to prove that a whole album could be made out of strictly other people's music, and strictly from vinyl. A self-imposed limitation that led to one of the great albums of 90s.

I only like to make music that I can perform live. A lot of people would consider that a silly limitation, but it's not to me. It fosters a lot unique ideas and methods to come up with a way to pull off something with Turntables and CDJs and a sampler on the fly that other people can only do by programming a laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
orjanbeats said:
how can you be so sure?
Well, you can't be 100% sure when there is more than one copy of something. But, i do believe that no hip hop producers have these records. Basically, my dad was a photographer for both his highschool and college and because of this, people had him do there album covers. Out of the records i have, there are 50-200 copies that were made. I just would really doubt that something like this would end up in a beat makers hands for many reasons.

Not that they are the dopest albums ever but the bands are immatating the sound of that era and are very sampleable. Even though you can sample your boys cd, i would very much doubt many muscians now record classic rock or soul that sounds like the 60's/70's, using only vintage gear, and have the same feel and SOUND of that era.

Intentionally Quaint said:
Reasons I use vinyl. These are solely my opinions
1.) Simply I find it easier to rewind and get right to the part with my hand. I know itunes has the slider but i just find it easier to rewind.
2.) The sound eh its okay sometimes its good character but i just like the vintage sound when i'm using only hardware.
But the main reason i use vinyl.....
3.) I don't just sample jazz soul and funk from the US. Alot of that yea go ahead and get the MP3. But i get like 50's hawaian albums, crazy symphonies from unheard of orchestras, japanese soundtracks, harpo sound effects. Just hella wierd stuff that i can probably find easier on vinyl cuz it probably was never remade. Not saying it's rare stuff it's just different

Oh and to everybody (pimpmatik) saying vinyl collectors are square purist collectors who have nothing better to do than collect vinyl not true. I digg but it doesnt consume me much more than it would searching for a real useable sample on the internet. Either way if you want to get something good it takes time i just find that the stuff that people arent looking at is more readily available in vinyl

I don't think that it was in my intentions to diss vinyl collectors because I'm one of them.
I just have a problem with a tiny minority that I call "zealots"...lol
And they usually have this "so-called" dogma of "vinyl is everything"
I got some cool samples from tv,vhs,mp3's,tapes but vinyl is my favorite source and I'm not going to hate on someone who doesn't care about vinyl as I do.
I'm sorry if you felt offended bro,my rant wasn't directed at someone like you just the zealots...lol

I think that's what everyone in this thread missed. I wasn't "dissing vinyl" I was adressing the (to use Pimpmatik's word)"Zealots" who feel if you don't use vinyl it's not hot.

There's also "hardware Zealots", "Mac/PC zealots", "anti-FL Studio zealots", "anti-preset zealots", but they all have threads already. This one was simply asking the people who feel "if you don't sample it from vinyl it's not hot" why they feel that way.

sometimes i wish i had the cd versions, but they're actually harder to find. I hate it when a sample is too crackly or just bad sounding cuz of the vinyl.

Back