Why Most Rappers Are Broke

Wow how times changed. This should show people how NOT so important hip hop is today. Rappers get money if they are smart though. Without records. That's nothing new. It's a lot of show cats that have never released a real album even before this era.

Last edited:
In this new era, if you have the drive it's best to stay independent and reap all of the money from your sales and maintain all creative control on your music, as well as when and how often you release your music. these Rec companies are keeping artists in debt.

Also, refraining from making frivolous purchases like jewelry and cars wouldn't hurt either...

Last edited by a moderator:
In this new era, if you have the drive it's best to stay independent and reap all of the money from your sales and maintain all creative control on your music, as well as when and how often you release your music. these Rec companies are keeping artists in debt.

Also, refraining from making frivolous purchases like jewelry and cars wouldn't hurt either...

Record companies kept artists in debt that had no business sense. Either learn the business or hire people to help you. Things are not that complicated if you are willing to learn. You learn how to manage and maintian money better with an education.

True! But how many of you guys would know how to mange or act responsibly with that type of money if you were under 25? I ran up credit card debt in college, so I can't front and say I would be much better if I signed a deal at 19.

Record companies kept artists in debt that had no business sense. Either learn the business or hire people to help you. Things are not that complicated if you are willing to learn. You learn how to manage and maintian money better with an education.

This is so offbase... Truth is as soon as you sign a big deal you're in debt... See Courtney Love's Letter to Recording Artists and also The Problem With Music :Negativworldwidewebland

Most of the time it isn't mismanagement that keeps artists poor, its the desire to be big in the first place; for instance the greatest rock musician IMO still tours to this day... Chuck Berry is 85, in the Rock n' Roll HOF and has little to show for it... true he's not poor by any stretch of the word, but 50 plus years in rock and roll and you're only worth 19 million??? Trust me it's not the artists that are just digging themselves into holes, the record companies have a ton to do with that...

This is so offbase... Truth is as soon as you sign a big deal you're in debt... See Courtney Love's Letter to Recording Artists and also The Problem With Music :Negativworldwidewebland

Most of the time it isn't mismanagement that keeps artists poor, its the desire to be big in the first place; for instance the greatest rock musician IMO still tours to this day... Chuck Berry is 85, in the Rock n' Roll HOF and has little to show for it... true he's not poor by any stretch of the word, but 50 plus years in rock and roll and you're only worth 19 million??? Trust me it's not the artists that are just digging themselves into holes, the record companies have a ton to do with that...

So what if an artist is in debt. Record companies themselves are in debt. The government is in debt. Everybody is in debt!

People need to stop making excuses and get to work out here. I do not know of one successful person that was not in debt at some point. If musicians are too scared to sign a deal, forget them. There are plenty of people that will happily get in debt for a record deal. The real issue is how can you get out of debt. It isn't from selling a few thousand songs and complaining.

And Courtney Love is a bad example. She is a drug addict who made mediocre music at best. If you want to learn the truth about the music industry, learn from successful people. The rest are just making noise.

You completely missed the point... When you get hired for a job do you owe the company you work for money??? No... they owe you money for the work you do... The problem is that when you sign a major deal, you own none of what you make and you owe a MULTIMILLION DOLLAR ENTERPRISE... for making them money in the first place...

Judging from your response about CL... you obviously didn't read the article at all... Conversation over... Good day sir/ma'am (dunno which)

You completely missed the point... When you get hired for a job do you owe the company you work for money??? No... they owe you money for the work you do... The problem is that when you sign a major deal, you own none of what you make and you owe a MULTIMILLION DOLLAR ENTERPRISE... for making them money in the first place...

Judging from your response about CL... you obviously didn't read the article at all... Conversation over... Good day sir/ma'am (dunno which)
Reading is too hard! Ninja's don't read! Where's the video? [sarcasm off] Nice read:)

who says you need to give to the community ? NO ONE GAVE SHIT TO ME

who says you need to buy jewelry for 100k ? YOU A IDIOT IF YOU DO

who says you need to give to the community ? NO ONE GAVE SHIT TO ME

who says you need to buy jewelry for 100k ? YOU A IDIOT IF YOU DO

Exactly.

If I get a record deal, I wouldn't help any of my friends. The thing about money is that you can get new friends. Why would I want to hang around broke people when I have money?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

You are broke. Lay down.

Man, the coice between indie or major is hard.

Major
The good - Huge audience and mainstream appeal gives the potential of becoming one a legend
The bad - Paid less, and propably ends in debt.

Independent
The good - Gets paid right and has full creative control
The bad - A small fanbase and less radioplay makes one less known, with a chance of be forgotten soon.

So what if an artist is in debt. Record companies themselves are in debt. The government is in debt. Everybody is in debt!

People need to stop making excuses and get to work out here. I do not know of one successful person that was not in debt at some point. If musicians are too scared to sign a deal, forget them. There are plenty of people that will happily get in debt for a record deal. The real issue is how can you get out of debt. It isn't from selling a few thousand songs and complaining.

And Courtney Love is a bad example. She is a drug addict who made mediocre music at best. If you want to learn the truth about the music industry, learn from successful people. The rest are just making noise.

Correct. Michael Jackson was in debt nearly half a billion before he died. To us common people, we'd off ourselves 2X for getting in a hole that deep. Michael....well, he's Michael so what's a few hundred million to a man worth a billion if he has the potential to earn it back? Most of the wealthiest people on this planet are in crazy debt. They don't sweat it because as long as they're healthy and alive (or in Michael's case---dead or alive), they can very well earn it back, which is why people even bother loaning it to them in the first place. Between Mike and Pootdog from down the street, who would be more likely to pay you back if you loaned them some dough? Ask any of Michael's creditors if they made money after he died.

Last edited:
There is only one reason why rappers are broke. It's because they suck. That's the real answer. Why does a rapper feel they deserve million dollar deals? The answer they give is because they grind. And I laugh my ass off at that answer because the first thing is a great product that people would love to buy. And the product is.............the actual artist.

And the first thing about being a good product is throwing what you think sucks or hot out the MFing window. Because you don't have that talent of discernment. You hear a bunch of great music that you feel should be selling hot....and when it don't....you blame marketing, blame the labels, blame commercial music. Reality is....they suck....not to you and the few fans that like the same.....but suck to the people that really count (as we talk about MONEY). Soulja Boy sucks now.......but he didn't suck. But yet a peewee big head snot nose boy would reply "wow that was retarded...Soulja Boy does suck".....but then he in the same category of crying ass MFers like "why does this sale and what I like don't?" Because you just don't get it.

I use myself as an example. I used to use B.E.T, MTV, The Box, VH1, ect....to check out new music. It was a system going on. I would wake up on Saturday complaining about B.E.T's top 20 hip hop countdown thinking #5 should've been #1. Hip hop was part of my schedule. Hip hop marathon on T.V.....fuuck that shit..I ain't going no got damn where...fuuck yall! Today....I have no system of checking out music I like. After a while I give in to what everyone is excited about.....just so happens it don't excite me like that. And the results show up in the sales...and disappointment sets in...and then the blame game. When reality is....the album sucked!

All of that said...#1 is the product. We don't have a solid system like it used to. And the outcome is poor quality albums that people "think" are good until they hear what a "great album" sounds like. And the saddest part is not even hearing the quality in a quality album. Today there is no excuse to go all the way out. Every sound is out there for a musician. Every way to manipulate sound. Unlimited studio time at home.....so you can cut that from the budget and actually take your project serious when it comes to mixing and mastering..(instead of doing it yourself....dumbasses...you all suuck at mixing...me too....and a lot of the ones who are mixing professional records..THEY SUCK TOO..quit fooling yourselves.) You got to know what good sounds like to know if you getting your money's worth...niiiimean?

You have a great product....now the world needs to know. You are not going to reach the world as some nobody with a bunch of soundcloud views, twitter followers, facebook likes, ect. Shit is hilarious....dudes think they are actually on their MFing way on the internet. LMAO! Don't let these community sites give you a big head.....FP.....Rocbattle......ect. Because you still ain't shit until the people respond. You still doing it for self.....people don't give a damn about you. lol! Blindly they will be like "WTF is this shit?" It's 15 years of internet grinding......and you don't see it as a lottery when the few people who do blow up on the internet get REAL gwop. You see it as you hope...your ticket. You gambling to lose....that's why rappers are broke. You make music selfishly...that's why rappers are broke.

Rappers know too got damn much about the business....that's why rappers are broke. Turning down deals and shit because you know too got damn much. Yet the people who don't know shit (THEY GET FUUCKED IN THE ASS........not literally...hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa) yet they get that gwop later. It don't pay to be a know it all......got to humble yourself. "Fuuck a deal"........stomach growlin and shit.....crickets at your show and shit.....10,000 youtube views in 4 years and shit...and you braggin about it. And somebody is about some real business is interested in you....AND YOU TURN THEM DOWN BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ARE ACTUALLY BUZZIN WITH 300k followers..........that's why rappers are broke. Rappers battle and then every month people go to the next new style somebody brought...now your self esteem is low because you live by the hip hop rules of no biting....but nobody else gives a fuuck.......that's why rappers are broke. Spending money on wack ass beats instead of building chemistry with the right producer.....that's why rappers are broke.

80% of rappers need to know they ain't built to be a rap star. They don't have the persona, don't have the look, don't have the materials to be a money making product.

Oh........and jewelry is actually something worth investing in. It's something you cn trust that is of value. The problem is protecting your investment. Want to be in the hood proving you so respected....and a nigga take that shit and go Carl Lewis on yo ass.....because you full of caviar and ciroc. "This nigga stole my rugrats chain YO!!!"

You can get an endorsement in rap just for making the corniest song.....because corny ass people got the money to promote their preciate products.....in a corny way. No record deal needed. But still....their is a difference between corny and suck. You can have a great CORNY product. Just sucking at anything will leave you broke.

Let's do why producers make less than minimum wage.

Selling beats by dre in a box on ebay for $299. A beats box with a usb drive inside....bunch of wack ass Chronic 2001 styled beats in it. Shit like that.

Last edited:
Most rappers and beat makers have a hand out mentality, they rely on the recording contract fairy to put a deal under their pillow and don't expect to have to pay for that shit by bending over.

A record company is not a charity organization and beggars can't be choosers so unless you are prepared to go for self you are going to have to spread em.

Back