Why beats sound low?

After I make a beat in my reason 4 it sounds sweet in my studio speakers. I export the track in wav format and give to an artist. When he listens to it he likes the beat but when he compares it to a beat he got off the internet their beat is louder in volume and when its time to record on mine it has to be turned way up? I have adjusted the mixer volume and that didn't work. This may be basic but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes.... this is called the "loudness wars". It's actually not a simple issue... i has a lot to do with mixing very very well and then using some tools to bring the sound to a certain point.

I'll skip the mixing part.. let's assume your mix is now perfect. If it's perfect.. it should not be loud yet. From there... take a bus compressor and slightly compress to your taste to try to "glue" it together. This just means your taking away some of it's dynamic range so it's a little more consistent with commercial releases (which are usually glued very tightly together depending on the song). Loud parts aren't much louder than soft parts anymore, which the ear enjoys sometimes. Next (the most important part)... take a limiter and pull the threshold down as far as needed to get it as loud as you need it to me.

That's it really in a nutshell. There's a WHOLE lot more to this point... but that's the raw basics of what you need ot know now to at least be comparable to the loud beats your buddy hears on the internet. This will let you compete. Just remember to keep your mixes low like you're already doing. Don't try to get your loudness on the mix!! lol.. ever. It will sound like trash. Get a nice balanced low mix, and then use those two tools to bring the overall sound level up.

Last edited:
Except, cphoenix, the loudness processing should happen after the voice has been recored not before ---- this is the part of the internet audio download biz that is screwing with how audio is mixed and mastered these days - too many tools and fools trying to prepare their music before it needs to be and as a result other tools and fools saying their getting ripped off when they don't know what they're talking about.......

Yes.... this is called the "loudness wars". It's actually not a simple issue... i has a lot to do with mixing very very well and then using some tools to bring the sound to a certain point.

I'll skip the mixing part.. let's assume your mix is now perfect. If it's perfect.. it should not be loud yet. From there... take a bus compressor and slightly compress to your taste to try to "glue" it together. This just means your taking away some of it's dynamic range so it's a little more consistent with commercial releases (which are usually glued very tightly together depending on the song). Loud parts aren't much louder than soft parts anymore, which the ear enjoys sometimes. Next (the most important part)... take a limiter and pull the threshold down as far as needed to get it as loud as you need it to me.

That's it really in a nutshell. There's a WHOLE lot more to this point... but that's the raw basics of what you need ot know now to at least be comparable to the loud beats your buddy hears on the internet. This will let you compete. Just remember to keep your mixes low like you're already doing. Don't try to get your loudness on the mix!! lol.. ever. It will sound like trash. Get a nice balanced low mix, and then use those two tools to bring the overall sound level up.

thanks alot for the info. i been wondering about the same thing. i would mix my beats down because from my understanding its better to subtract when it comes to mixing and eqing instead of adding, but then it would kind of take the life out of my mixes. i love this forum. ever since i became a member i been learning alot about things ive been wondering about.

Except, cphoenix, the loudness processing should happen after the voice has been recored not before ---- this is the part of the internet audio download biz that is screwing with how audio is mixed and mastered these days - too many tools and fools trying to prepare their music before it needs to be and as a result other tools and fools saying their getting ripped off when they don't know what they're talking about.......

Very good point, as always!

Back