Why aren't you making your beats like this??

Ugh. Sorry, but they OVER KILL every single beat. They really don't have progression changes, like a proper pre-hook and bridge...they just do a bunch of acrobatics within the same progression.

I agree completely but I still like it.

I'm a big fan of craftsmanship over any other aspects, I love how intricate some of their songs are (mainly Maybach Music 1-3 but plenty others).

You do raise a very good point about pre-hooks and I loved that part in Spacebound too, it properly built some nice tension.

My question is, why does it have to be that way?

I would think that loops are limiting. It's like driving on a straight street, there's only so much driving skill you can show off.

Beats are just to set the mood and flow for the song. Skill in making beats isn't about being super complex with a lot of change ups but about creating a nice loop that is repeatable.

Also, as long as the main loop is always present and focused upon you can do whatever you want with background sounds to show your skill.

I prefer to make minimalistic beats. Only producers will think a super complex beat is dope. Artists prefer minimal beats.

Why are rap songs just 4 bar (or in some pathetic cases, 2 bar) loops, that just repeat over and over?

When was the last time you heard a rap song with a real pre-hook and bridge, with the accompanying chord progression changes?

I'm just sitting here making this beat for a raper, and it occurred to me to change the chord progression for a 4 bar pre-hook, and put an 8 bar bridge in, just like the songs that singers sing over.

Why isn't this done in rap?

You'll get better feedback from the rappers. It may be tricky for some to rap to. The Neptunes had to deal with that dilemna. They conformed to the structure for the most part but then they had other projects outside of rap that allowed them to explore. Also, it can take the attention away from the lyrics and the rapper. People might lock in on those amazing change ups rather than listen to the actual lyrics. The beat should complement the rapper not interfere or overshadow him.Ask your rapper you're working with. They can give you way better feedback. Or drop an instrumental album like 750,000 other producers out there.Listen to the Neptunes working with the Clipse to see how talented producer/musicians were able to get their chords on and keep the rapper's flow in mind at all times.

Last edited:
That falls on the Label/Manager/Artists shoulders. They have to be bold enough to go against the norm. You're right all it takes is for one person to blow up being different or a current artist to do something different then everybody will duplicate that trying to get that same result. The way things are now and money being so tight. Nobody is willing to take that risk and possibly lose money. It's pathetic really. Any grain of art left in mainstream hiphop is gone. I was actually shocked when I heard that Yo Gotti and J Cole Cold Blood record getting heavy rotation here. I can't remember the last heavily sampled non club hip-hop track on the radio. It was shocking.

You're right.

But all it takes is ONE person to hit with it, to change everyone's preferences.

Macklemore had a smash hit with THRIFT SHOP. That's the most quirky, non-beat beat EVER. ESPECIALLY in the age of Electro-Trap music.

Now watch, we're gonna be getting more Macklemore sounding records.

Hell, look at Kanye's 808's influence on Drake. I remember when FP told me that atmospheric pads over hip hop drums would NEVER work. Then Drake hit big with it. Now people are quick to jump on that sound.

All it takes is one. I guess I'm asking, why haven't we thought about doing it?

A lot of it has to do with attention i think. When you're listening to a rapper you have to have about 80% of your attention on him/her to get most of what they are saying and if you have complex beats in the background while they're rapping it moves your attention away and you'll get too much information shot at you at the same time. With a singer it's a lot less words and complexity to pay attention to so the music in the background can go pretty much where it wants. There's only so much working memory each person has.

Working memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Hip Hop has always been about capturing the most exciting or catchy groove and allowing the MC to shine lyrically. Hip Hop is unique because on average the vocalist is able to tell a much more detailed story during the verses. Too many musical changes during the verses can undermine the rap vocals if they aren't able to follow the changes.

While you worried about 2 bar loops. Some nigga making making a 2bar loop beat thats gonna make millions.

At the end of the day it's about the music. I know we as musicians sit down and be like this and that, but to the average consumer they dont care about that shit

They just care if they like it and it moves them.

This is the instrumental for my next record (pre-mix, of course). Rapper in the sig just approved it.

It has a proper pre-hook (4 bars), a post hook of 4 bars, and a bridge of 8 bars.

Gonna put a white rocker chick on the hook...just gotta find one!

If it comes out well, i think i'm going to start doing most of my rap records like this....well the ones that are actually ABOUT something. The "swag n brag" records will still be loops, and let the percussion work bring the drama.

Should have this record recorded and out by the end of Feb...if the artists finances work out.

Hey...at least she's investing in herself.

Last edited:
Liking that track Troup
did you sample the hook or is it yours? Sounds familiar, I want to say an 80's track but can't put a name to the one I am thinking of (old people problems).

Liking that track Troup
did you sample the hook or is it yours? Sounds familiar, I want to say an 80's track but can't put a name to the one I am thinking of (old people problems).

I played it...poorly. Was gonna bring in a guitarist, but I'm gonna save that budget for this blues track I'm working on.

Back