Why aren't DJs and Producers this important in Hip Hop

It rules over seas and "mixed clubs" which is basically why you "think" it "rules the world". Nothing has changed since the 80's. But there are A LOT of places where a DJ might get hit with a bottle if he come around fuucking up music we love with that EDM shit off in the club. Because it "AIN'T" a club for everybody.......ya dig?

You have been sleeping since the 80s then, I guess. Hip hop in the beginning, was about Caribbean DJs playing for (mostly) Latinos. Latinos didn't hate on Blacks, so then you saw (predominantly) Latino and Black breakdancers. Then those who saw Disco being overcrowded realized that the (illegal) block & warehouse parties were drawing in 4-5,000 kids regularly and they started to buy "mix-tapes". Because they had the equipment AND the language tradition, THEY started to record disco/hip hop records IN ENGLISH. Latinos were still cool with that, but there was no English-tradition among the Latinos, so you had no Latino MCs. "Latin music" was not about Disco or Rock, so you had no Latin producers recording disco-pop/early hip hop records. It's THAT easy.

To an extent, it's comparable to the (far east) Asians, who are dope with a can, dope breakdancers and dope DJs.........but there's no English-tradition among them, so you don't see many English-rapping Asian (ethnically) MCs. Simple as that.

Plus, the MCs used to be just that; announcers, "Masters Of The Ceremony". The one leading the "ceremony" was the DJ, not the other way around. Nobody gave a flying f**k about the MCs. Hip Hop is a Jamaican/Caribbean "sound system" tradition, not an American thing originally (hence why MCs played the same role in 90s UK Jungle/DnB music as Hip Hop MCs played in the 80s Hip Hop - because the UK had a big Jamaican/Caribbean immigrant community).

Techno was born as a Detroit thing and is the only TRULY "Black thing" besides Jazz. Invented and made popular by three Black kids from Detroit. There, despite the "8th mile", White folks started to join the parties and "it was cool", just as Blacks joining the Caribbean/Latino "block parties" in NYC.
Two, three years later, word got out as far as the UK, where they had those strange warehouse parties and Acid House was born.
But it really took off in Berlin. Man, the parties in the Tresor underground club. Jeeeez. They had a system made by Bose. The woofers-coils (magnets) were F**KING MELTING every weekend from the AIR PRESSURE, because the bass produced couldn't escape. After all, the club was in the underground in a ex-bunker with 5 feet wide reinforced walls (!!!). They even invented their own "loudness" scale: 1T meant "I feel my clothe flatter like through wind", 2T meant "something is poking me in the chest" and finally 3T meant "my heart starts to beat irregularly and I'm about to pass out!". LMAO Word got out and you had all the dopest Techno DJs come over from Detroit and play there and sell the records. THAT'S the tradition the Love Parade was born out of, culminating a couple of years later in up to TWO MILLION PEOPLE (!!!) coming together in Berlin for the raves.

LOL, "EDM" took over in the late 80s-early 90s and you guys didn't even realize it. LMAO

You can't pull off any nice Hip Hop event, 'cause you'll have mass brawls, people stabbed left and right, people shot, girls raped and mofu robbed........stinky ass welfare-gangster mofus. **** "Hip Hop" parties & "clubs". LMAO
You don't see sane Black folks going to "Black clubs".

Nobody gives a f**k about that in Europe either. I saw groups of Cribs in their 30s on Psytrance/Techno parties in Europe, all chill, sayubg "Sorry! Didn't see ya man!" when they bump into you by mistake........'cause everyone is chill and there's no need for POSING, when the security protecting the event is made up of 6'7", 250 pound Russian "ex"-gangsters.

Go to Vegas and tell me about all those great "Hip Hop" clubs?! lol
Heard of some dope Hip Hop festivals lately? Nah, Hip Hop acts/rappers/groups HOPING to play at some (predominantly) Rock and "White audience" events, 'cause they don't want to be f**ked over by Black promoters in Black "clubs".

A HANDFUL of Hip Hop DJs and producers makes 20-30k/gig. People like Jazzy Jeff, Questlove even Just Blaze.
Your Top10 "EDM" Dj gets paid 100-200k/event. Welcome to reality.

Remember Rice. The US is just FIVE PERCENT of the global population. And even in the US, the biggest events are EDM only.
Funny, that some years ago Eminem dissed Moby saying "Lets go, nobody listens to Techno!". The f**king irony is, that he comes from Detroit. LMAO

The mofus were too comfortable and too elitist to realize, this whole EDM train surpassed them already YEARS ago.
I want to see hot chicks on Ibiza, dancing their asses off, not a sweaty fat f**k like Rick Ross scream into a mic to a playback, shit all distorted, surrounded by welfare-gangsters looking for an outlet for their Hip Hop Emo Angst. lol

Ain't nobody got time for that. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
it's kinda funny to me, people are so stressed up trying to make that switch to EDM...they're like **** hip hop no money in it... meanwhile calvin harris is just messing around, having fun, making whatever type of music he feels like making

Waves, people won't be getting that 100k+ to DJ at clubs 10 years from now. Just like some hip hop Producers aren't getting 100K + for beats anymore. Vegas used to have about half hiphop clubs half that EDM shit. Now it's all that. It's not going to last. Nothing really does.

Last edited:
You have been sleeping since the 80s then, I guess.

LOL, "EDM" took over in the late 80s-early 90s and you guys didn't even realize it. LMAO

That's pretty much what I meant by nothing has changed since the 80's. Same as in the hole in the wall blues clubs. Nobody wants to hear EDM blues in the blues club. Nobody wants to hear EDM in a country club. But it doesn't change that most "mixed" clubs are EDM dominant which would mean to most that "EDM rules the world". Never said it didn't. But Skrillex is not performing in small cities in Alabama full of country music fans....yet the country music band "Alabama" will turn that mug out. When your ass is doing small cities with small populations...your career is usually over when you were huge or about to get started from the ground. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

not a sweaty fat f**k like Rick Ross scream into a mic to a playback, shit all distorted, surrounded by welfare-gangsters looking for an outlet for their Hip Hop Emo Angst. lol

Ain't nobody got time for that. LOL

Bawse!!! Where fiddy at? EDM sucks....Rick Ross rules the world......

Last edited:
Waves, people won't be getting that 100k+ to DJ at clubs 10 years from now. Just like some hip hop Producers aren't getting 100K + for beats anymore. Vegas used to have about half hiphop clubs half that EDM shit. Now it's all that. It's not going to last. Nothing really does.

Sure. Waves. But one thing didn't change since the "doo wop" clubs in 20s Berlin. Dance music (whatever that means) + people celebrating life + hot women/dancers/strippers. THAT won't change. And that's what hip hop used to be about. It was Dance music. One of Hip Hop's biggest hits is an Electro record from 83 called "Planet Rock". lol

The moment you see (mostly male) hipsters standing near walls, checking their phones, while a 50,000 watt system is pumping, you know something is wrong. It was the same with Hip Hop clubs. Just that those weren't your traditional hipsters, but mofu who waited for you to step on their toes or look at their girl. I was too old for that when I was 18. LOL

Anyone can become a DJ, all you need to the right equipment, gear, music and self motivation. I will say that, work harder, you will eventually get noticed. There is no deny in that.

Anyone can become a DJ, all you need to the right equipment, gear, music and self motivation. I will say that, work harder, you will eventually get noticed. There is no deny in that.

Today sadly yes that's all you need since most of today's dj's can't mix or scratch for shit.

Realistically... Hip hop fans are broke black people .. and edm fans are rich white people... it's simple.. if you go to a hip hop concert... a good will be white, even though it's hip hop music.. white people buy records black people don't.. (For the most part) that's what it comes down too..

^^^^which leads to people either keeping it real or staying true.

Keeping it real is present tense. How you see shit right now. So a person can use keeping it real as an excuse to cater their "sound" more to the rich white youth because they "spend money". But people use the word keeping it real as an escape to not feel "bad" or like a sell out for doing so. Of course some dudes turn coward with the "IDGAF" attitude"....which shows what type of person they really are.

But keeping it true is what it is. Because reality can change....but the truth is always there. It is past, present, and future. Keeping it true is what SHOCKS people that only keep it real. As most think blacks don't spend money, but don't consider we are OUT NUMBERED. So of course if you want to go where the "big money" is you got to cater to more than just our black ass.

But back to keeping it true.....see when you keep it true.....you gain black support, black folks spend money. You trust your black barber to cut your head, you trust your dude down the street to put the ink on you, you love your brother enough to support his music. When you keep it true, people feel that love from you.....that energy they have felt from the past into the present and never change in the future.

Keeping it true will always have the rich white people AND THE POOR BLACKS coming to you as you "stay true to yourself".....which is different than keeping it real....which is turning yourself into someone running "after" the rich white folks and saying fuuck whoever don't have the money to make ME RICH.

That's not to say that there aren't people keeping true because they can relate to both side of the situation.

BUT......when you keep it true, things feel natural as though it is meant to be. The reason a lot of people can't get with the watered down versions of stuff.....or why their music only comes out as watered down...because it ain't "truly" in them.

But sure.......leaving the EDM out of it all......a person can make great money DJing their own music. Cool..........keep it real and go where the money is at. BUT WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE KEEPING IT TRUE AND OPEN THE DOORS FOR ARTIST TO GET EXPOSURE IN THEIR CITY? NO. DJin is not easy at all. Because if it was........YOU and so many of us would have waaaaaaaaaaaay more love for the artist in our city.

But the DJs in most cities are SUCKAS today.

Shout out to DJ's making a name for their self by present their city with new talent instead of only riding the "what's hot" wave......trying to be the first to play some shit...like it ain't going to get old later......sucking these commercial artist off in hopes to make a name.....doing fake shit to "keep it real" like doing hot or not segments.....shit is bullshit....you a DJ and asking the people what is hot......that's that sucka shit. DJ Scew kept it true, SON......AND LOOK WHERE IT HAS TAKEN HIS LEGACY!!! Because the dude stayed true til the end. People who "keep it real" never have a lagacy to live on after they are gone........they shit died way before they will...because they are present tense.

Producers have never really been important in Hip Hop... at one time DJ's were. Producers don't actually "perform" anything, they work in the shadows.

Dr. Dre
Timbaland
Jermaine Dupri
The Neptunes
Lil Jon
Just Blaze

^^^^ average person only know those names. Maybe they know DJ Premier if they're a real Hip Hop head.

dj timmy tim dope shit https://soundcloud.com/timothybeatzz/dj-timmy-tim-aka-timbaland

jermaine_dupri_DJ_main-436x360.jpg

dj-chad-t-mobile-party-11.jpg

liljon2.jpg

rb3recap3.jpg

LOL

its simple. How many hip hop producers in this day and age even leave the house? This is the FL Era of Production. you sit and program all day, and email out beats. You know how many producers i talk to from here that dont even know how to talk to an artist? how can you expect them to have a decent show/party?

Hip Hop producers NOW dont DJ, because they dont wanna learn it. they dont wanna go and actually learn how to DJ.. but you dont have to learn how to scratch and mix in 2013, you can have technology do that for you to.. but producers here still wont do it.

they dont even know how to "GET MY BEETZ PLACED" so you think theyre gonna have the initiative to wake up and say "i want to take my career in my hands and form a living out of this now as an artist and selling my own instrumentals"

you cant even sell a beat to a random rapper from missouri, but you want to DJ a show of 200-300 people. Gotcha. Get off your ass and just do it lol, and thats the problem with hip hop as a genre, and black folks as a people. I say black just cause it is an URBAN genre, of course not only black people make hip hop, but its been a problem we've had for generations

constantly creating new and dope styles and dope things all to be taken by some random white guy who found it funky and figured out a way to legitimize it

stop saying you CANT. who says you cant sell hip hop instrumentals? who says you cant spin hip hop beats, who says it has to be all house and pop beats, its all about can you create something that people want to hear and create an environment that suits your style of music

but who in this new age of lazy "click click click, trap beat done in 30 seconds" era wants to do that

lmao its not about race its really not, but yall let a bunch of white boys from europe start specializing in TRAP music.. there aint even TRAPS in europe my nigga, get off your ass and just go do whatever you want lol, not speaking to anyone direct just saying in general, its a mentality that follows urban people beyond music

we spend more time looking at other people succeeding not realizing they taking our formula right from under our noses and simply just EXECUTING

Strategize, Organize, plan and execute. you'd be suprised how much money you make and how successful you'll be when you have an idea and just simply execute it, its not as hard as we try to make it seem because we're scared.. of what? im not sure

but failure isnt an excuse to be lazy and let all these other producers and people make money off something that YOU can do if you just put a lil more effort in and go out and do something.

Uncle Luke got killed for having chicks twerk in videos.. 15-20 years ago.. Miley Cyrus got twerking added to the dictionary the other day.

Last edited:

My pops lived on Saturn Street in SYC (School Yard Crip) hood. Right up the steet from Alta Loma Elementry and just a short walk down the block from World On Wheels. Saw Joe Cooley dj there back in the day. Also watched a rap battle competition there one summer. KDAY was the sh!t! Then one year I brought back a historic 12 inch single ...Boyz n the hood. MF's were blown away when I brought it back to AZ.

This little known DJ use to DJ for my group DJ AL3 who now DJ's for the UFC.
https://twitter.com/ALMF3

When is that last time u heard a "who got the best dj arguement?" People who grew up in the eighties use 2 have them all of the time. If u were serious bout rapping, u had to have a dj? Now all I need is laptop.
Just like there was a time when if u were a singer u need a band, but then came workstations, multi track recorder, and the Korg m-1.
times have changed.
just blaze making money because he's just blaze not because he scratch soo well. A major radio dj in a prob can mix and scratch better, but he can't drop some unheard track during the set.
I think y'all are exaggerating this, times have changed. Focus on u can get money

Last edited:
^^^yep.....if you were a rapper...you usually had a big ass clique. You had a DJ or two. You had a dance crew, you had your hype man or men, you had the female version of your clique....and you WERE THE SHIT IN SCHOOL. YOU RAN DEEP AS FUUCK!!!!! You had people faking like they were in your clique. What made you the shit? Your competition.

Fuucking introverts man....smh. :cheers:

In EDM, people would usually be djing first and slowly drift into producing electro records.
In Hiphop, it disappeared a little. There is a clear distinction between a dj and a record producer now. But hey, Just Blaze is going back to having a real career dj-ing. Albeit, he is producing electro records with his hiphop toolset. But without namedropping him, a lot of other dudes made a similar move some years ago.

But now if you get into EDM and you don't dj, you clearly have not understood the culture and you will most probably not be successful.

Not only that but your tracks will suck because you won't develop the ear for what makes people (who said white ? lmao) move.

Last edited:
People don't talk about him but Grand Master Dee from Whodini was the best "trick" DJ back in the day. He didn't scratch much on albums, you had to go to a show. I went to one of those FRESH FEST concerts and all of the DJ's were killing it - Cut Creator, Chill Will, Barry B, Hurricane, Jam Master Jay, Terminator X.... all of 'em but when Whodini came out and gave Grand Master Dee the spotlight - the other one looked like amateurs. Dude was keeping records on beat with Adidas on his hands, they lifted dude upside down and the records stayed on beat and didn't skip, dude took a few phones calls and nothing got out of order. He did a bunch of regular ish too like spinning behind his back and all that.

He was the best "trick" DJ but Jazzy Jeff was just on another level with his though.

Today sadly yes that's all you need since most of today's dj's can't mix or scratch for shit.

Totally agreed with you. Just got some very good speakers and DJ euipment for rent from this site:avdj.co.nz Starting to build music from scratch now.

Back