Why aren't DJs and Producers this important in Hip Hop

DaBomb

Just got through reading this article on forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...-cash-kings-2013-the-worlds-highest-paid-djs/

Its a list of the highest paid DJs in electronic music. The reason I post this list here is because I want to know what you guys think it will take to vault the status of Hip Hop Producers and DJs to that status again.

I mean they used to get their name on the front of album covers kinda like Ryan Lewis to Macklemore. But its so few and far between now. What happened to make are status fall so low.

The electronic DJ scene has to be as saturated as the hip hop scene. And it doesn't take a large difference in skill. So why the devaluation of the hip hop producer but the elevation of the electronic DJand How can we as producers raise our level of importance again?

Last edited:
Electronic music is more popular right now. There was a guy asking the same question you just asked a half decade ago...but replacing "hip hop" with "Rock". Wondering why Storch, Timbo, Dre, ect. were doing so well.

Popular music evolves. Hip hop had it's run. If you make it because you love it, who cares whether it mainstreams or not again...if you want a check, start making electro dance.

Electronic music is more popular right now. There was a guy asking the same question you just asked a half decade ago...but replacing "hip hop" with "Rock". Wondering why Storch, Timbo, Dre, ect. were doing so well.

Popular music evolves. Hip hop had it's run. If you make it because you love it, who cares whether it mainstreams or not again...if you want a check, start making electro dance.

not necessarily you can have 25 core fans and that may be a slow startup but eventually you will have 50, then 100. it depends on your target in my eyes.

1. merchandise
2. contests
3. hosting parties

there is alot you can do to bring revenue amongst your team. and those 25-50 fans are true and will support you.

hip hop basically started from DJing. all the legendary producers were DJ's, and they still do shows,they might not make 20 million dollars per year, but they ain't broke either ... sitting on your ass for 20 hours in the studio was never the norm in hip hop, you're supposed to go out there and get some of that live show money

scott storch used to play keyboards in the roots, but he's the only super producer i can remember that didn't do live shows of some sort,either as a DJ, in a band (N.E.R.D), or as a rapper.

not necessarily you can have 25 core fans and that may be a slow startup but eventually you will have 50, then 100. it depends on your target in my eyes.

1. merchandise
2. contests
3. hosting parties

there is alot you can do to bring revenue amongst your team. and those 25-50 fans are true and will support you.
I think I had a bad choice of words with 'if you want a check". What I should have said was "if you want to be on a Forbe's list as a highest paid producer/DJ". I agree there is still definitely money in hip hop...just not $500k a beat/show like it once was.

Just got through reading this article on forbes Electronic Cash Kings 2013: The World's Highest-Paid DJs - Forbes

Its a list of the highest paid DJs in electronic music. The reason I post this list here is because I want to know what you guys think it will take to vault the status of Hip Hop Producers and DJs to that status again.

I mean they used to get their name on the front of album covers kinda like Ryan Lewis to Macklemore. But its so few and far between now. What happened to make are status fall so low.

The electronic DJ scene has to be as saturated as the hip hop scene. And it doesn't take a large difference in skill. So why the devaluation of the hip hop producer but the elevation of the electronic DJand How can we as producers raise our level of importance again?

Do hip hop producers tour and do live shows? Or do they sell their music to someone else to tour with?

A guy like Skrillex, he makes his beat, then he goes around the world playing it and dancing to it, for money.
Hip hop producers don't do that. They sit in the studio and crank out beats all day.

Do hip hop producers tour and do live shows? Or do they sell their music to someone else to tour with?

A guy like Skrillex, he makes his beat, then he goes around the world playing it and dancing to it, for money.
Hip hop producers don't do that. They sit in the studio and crank out beats all day.

exactly. EDM producers do more. I make a beat and joe rapper jumps on it. You never see my face, You might know my name. Skrillex makes a beat. He gets someone to sing a hook. He performs it at clubs. He remixes it. He drops the Bass. He fades, he mashes it up with other songs. He dances, He gets the crowd involved. What do I do? I give it away and then work on the next one...

I think I had a bad choice of words with 'if you want a check". What I should have said was "if you want to be on a Forbe's list as a highest paid producer/DJ". I agree there is still definitely money in hip hop...just not $500k a beat/show like it once was.

oh yea totally. but its a neverending cycle. the music industry is very similar to the government. they control what people "like" subconsciously forcing a cloak in our face to let something big sneak by. whether its trayvon martin case to hide the convicted Bradley manning, or the release of Kendrick Lamar's old pre tour recordings, to hide the transition of the once hot South, back up north or whatever crazy conspiracies are out there about the "game" and how it plays... they will be loving the trap again soon.... just who can stick it out lol....

i'm glad that all eyes isn't on hip hop like it used to be. gives the younger acts some time to sharpen their penmanship skills such as Joey, KRIT, Scotty...

If you're a hip hop Dj you have to be known. Jazzy Jeff gets 20K per appearance in Vegas. I know his agent.

1. There are a Billion "Hip Hop producers"/ beat makers who all think they are the next thing to pop.
2. These Electronic DJ's are bustin their ass playing upscale clubs and events...you should feel sorry for them having to work in that type of environment (JK)
3. Hip Hop DJ's don't even get love in Hip Hop anymore.

This thread goes hand in hand with that Troup thread.

Personally, i feel hiphop djs don't value themselves as much as these EDM djs do.
Reread what Kelevra just said... the EDM dj will do all types of shit to a song, mix
it, chop it, remix it, all types of crazy shit... has that crowd going wild, throwing their
hands up, dancing etc. That ****ing beat rises, rises, rises... stops and BANG... it drops,
that crowd eats it up like hotcakes, it's all emotionally based. What does the hiphop dj/producer
do? He doesn't value himself as much, he's just cranking beat after beat trying to find who to give it to.
He doesn't see himself as a performer, a brand.

That is why hiphop djs and producers aren't as important. They don't know how to make
themselves or their product as valuable.

Plus it doesn't help that EDM is what's pushed right now, these guys just happen to see
that and ride the wave.

Personally, i feel hiphop djs don't value themselves as much as these EDM djs do.
Reread what Kelevra just said... the EDM dj will do all types of shit to a song, mix
it, chop it, remix it, all types of crazy shit... has that crowd going wild, throwing their
hands up, dancing etc. That ****ing beat rises, rises, rises... stops and BANG..

sarcasm?

I like the responses!

I gotta be clear though. Of course I'm aware hip hop is #4 or #5 and that edm is #1 in popularity.

And of course I'm aware that producers customarily don't do shows in hip hop.

But my question is directed at why consumers will pay $50 to listen to the productions of EDM DJs or buy there albums in mass but hip hop producers are looked at as glorified session players. There no better then the guitar player that's coming into play the solo on the bridge in hip hop.

But I'm seeing the common thread seems to be hip hop producers need to do MORE!!!

We either have to sit down with one artist and do half, if not more of the full song writing,

Or

We have to curate artists, verses, and songs in compilations produced by us ala David Guetta or DJ Khaled.

Its not enough to make a track or an instrumental to gain our own fan base we have to be seen as the artists on the face of the song. No more giving away beats for 'free' or emailing majors for placements it comes down to cultivating vocalists around us to make us bigger and eventually artists will want to buy in

You would be shocked at how many of the "well known" producers never stopped "DJin". You have to really follow up on them to see where in the "WORLD" they are DJin.

Now for this "fruity loop generation........the only reason they have turntables...(usually just one) is because they are some kind of sample guru or they are in fact just a digger (not your average e-digger.

DJin takes a whole lot of skill. It's deeper than knowing what's hot. It's knowing what's hot in a perfect sequence. That is a lost skill as soo many "albums" (IMO) are put together with no greatness in the sequence of it.

99% of FP would suck at being a DJ...........because you are too biased.

Which goes along with the thread........only DJs that are good today are the ones who are not biased to what they like. Big Tigger comes to mind. But it ws easy for DJs in New York to spin because there was no reason for bias in hip hop. Then you had DJs in the south spinnin....and they weren't bias.

And of course the mind set of today's web infested present and future will have you believe that EDM rules the DJ world. Which is true....only because people believe it and run with it. EDM DJs mix for "mixed" clubs......don't bring that bullshit to the hole in the wall on MLK, though. It throws off the atmosphere........niiiiiiiiiiii mean? DJ might get slaughter. But then again it's O.K for the EDM DJ in the city to "blend in" what's played in that hole in the wall on MLK into what everyone (since the club is full of people of all races and nationality) is familiar with.

Then FP comes and be like "EDM Trap is taking over!!!!!".........sittin on a puter......too young to get into the club.......but you bout dat fruit life......jus sayin....

Last edited:
It rules over seas and "mixed clubs" which is basically why you "think" it "rules the world". Nothing has changed since the 80's. But there are A LOT of places where a DJ might get hit with a bottle if he come around fuucking up music we love with that EDM shit off in the club. Because it "AIN'T" a club for everybody.......ya dig?

It's like going to a Jamaican club in the U.S which plays "classic smooth Reggae and Dub" all night......and here comes this "EDM rules the world" DJ trying to add that Skrillex shit. "KILL THE DJ...KILL THE DJ"......

Like going to a smooth Jazz club and here comes that same EDM rules the world DJ playing some wild ass extreme..."WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA WOOP WOOP" shit.

Some people (yes even the youth) hate mixed clubs just for that reason. They stand around looking at how lame it is (to them)....then those EDM mixes of their favorite song take the cake. But then on the other fan there are more people who's first choice to check out the city life is where there is variety....which a mixed club will provide........they can deal with the three or four hard ass gangsta, trap, ratchet, ass songs they will play....as long as they ain't playing it all night.

Think outside of the invisible box. :)

Title talks about producers failing..........because they only stay in the invisible box...that's why. They live in a fake ass "this is hot right now" box....so they go for it. They fail to realize the multitude of other genres that are not "pop infested" but yet people are making great money. BUT YOU.......feel like you deserve the BIG MONEY.......you feel there is no other way to wake up in a Booo got tee.

Yet there are plenty of producers winning in other genres. Different types of Jazz, underground hip hop, Dancehall/Reggae..........really yall should be a shamed to NOT KNOW how in demand Reggae has always been. lmao! But....you think to yourselves (EDM rules the world) so that's the direction you go. And you lie to yourselves and if you love it.

YOU can't win in the pop world. Sorry. Just trying to help yall. You're like that eagle trapped in a church.....set "free" inside of the church.....yet flying into the window trying to find "freedom". Your excuses suck. lol!

The invisible box.

All of those people outside the invisible box.......but you can't get to them. You got trained to fly around....they feed you.....so you can satisfy the ones inside of this invisible box. If one of the ones watching you could fly.....their obese ass would be flying around satisfying everyone in an invisible box...but they can't......poor them.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back