Which MPC should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midi controllers have a market because people dont like using the mouse for many things music related. Low level of integration is better than nothing for many of us. Its obvious that people dont want to use the mouse because so many people buy midi controllers. Again too much of your argument based around the midi controller idea. Maschine is Beat Production workstation. It doesnt live in the same spectrum as a midi controller. It lives in the same spectrum as say an RS7000, SP404, MPC 2500, MC 909 etc. Brand New, Maschine is the price of an mpc 500 Brand New, lets be fair (Used will vary just as anything else used).

In your argument, you say that Maschine is redundant...realistically an MPC is redundant to what a computer/DAW does. There is nothing that an MPC does functionally, that is not possible on the computer with a DAW. That being said Maschine's workflow is leagues beyond the workflow possible using an MPC with a computer. Maschine's workflow is well beyond the workflow possible with a midi controller and a computer. Maschine is about hands on, fast workflow.

But Maschine is linked to the PC, so really it's not the same as a MPC, RS7k, etc. because you can't just bring it anywhere and work on beats. You have to be right next to your computer, which is one of the major reasons why I don't like the idea of Maschine. I am not sure what kind of workflow you're trying to achieve, but I've never had too many problems making stuff in FL or Ableton. By "workflow" if you're simply talking about how fast you can do certain things, you're talking to the wrong person here. I am 100% focused on live PA and jamming.. and I know that although I could use Maschine to some great ends, I just don't see the point of buying it. I could jam out much better with a APC40, I guarantee Maschine can't touch the live performance potential of the APC.

Having a MPC isn't redundant because it's a truly standalone unit that's designed to do something... it's only redundant if you do a bunch of sampling and sequencing on the PC. I think your entire definition of "workflow" is where we have a difference of opinion, because I don't look at workflow as the sheer quickness by which I can change sounds or do whatever, I look at workflow as how much an instrument or controller inspires me to make music, and lay it down easily. The MPC is one of the easiest pieces of gear I've ever learned how to use. It's just my personal opinion that I feel more inspired and FOCUSED when I am working with hardware, and I'm away from the computer. I kinda thought about selling my MPC for a while but now that I've thought about it, I realize that using my computer for "just" sampling and sequencing will slowly poison my whole creative process. I'll stick with my MPC. In fact, I kinda wish I had the cash for a S950 now.. my 2000XL needs a friend!

But Maschine is linked to the PC, so really it's not the same as a MPC, RS7k, etc. because you can't just bring it anywhere and work on beats. You have to be right next to your computer, which is one of the major reasons why I don't like the idea of Maschine.

Apparently you never heard of a laptop and bus power. I can make beats at the Beach with Maschine if I want. Have made several tracks on air planes going to Berlin with Maschine :-)

Apparently you never heard of a laptop and bus power. I can make beats at the Beach with Maschine if I want. Have made several tracks on air planes going to Berlin with Maschine :-)

I understand that, as I've been laptop only since like 97, but it's still a matter of having multiple components, one of which is a computer! That's precisely my point. I am not some jet-setting "professional" who thinks time is money and tries to work on the go all the time, I sit at home and hit the bong until I'm near panic attack mode and then I bang out some techno. I love the fact that the MPC has nothing to do with the computer..

I am not some jet-setting "professional" who thinks time is money and tries to work on the go all the time, I sit at home and hit the bong until I'm near panic attack mode and then I bang out some techno.

Loved that. :cheers:

I still want an MPC even though they're becoming less trendy now, hopefully I can pick up a 60 or 3000 for cheap.

I'm not the one-machine man I was before. It's not good to be too computer centric or mpc centric, imo.

I'd rather have a MPC 3000 over any other model.

I think ultimately what it comes down to is finding a way to make music that you feel inspired and comfortable with. For me, software is easy to understand and yes in many ways it is a lot faster to do certain things, but I don't look at the extra time spent using various pieces of hardware "time wasted" because I am usually having a lot of fun, and plus I feel more connected to what I'm actually doing... on a computer it seems like it's easy to get wrapped up in technical shit or making sure something is perfect. Like someone told me before, working with a MPC is better because it forces you to more closely LISTEN to what you're doing, rather than stare at a monitor. I agree. I do admit that I chop and edit all samples on a PC because it's a hell of a lot easier. (Although honestly I don't use nearly as many samples as I used to.)

I understand that, as I've been laptop only since like 97, but it's still a matter of having multiple components, one of which is a computer! That's precisely my point. I am not some jet-setting "professional" who thinks time is money and tries to work on the go all the time, I sit at home and hit the bong until I'm near panic attack mode and then I bang out some techno. I love the fact that the MPC has nothing to do with the computer..

I get you man. Maschine is for professionals. If you just making beats and dont have deadlines and time constraints, all this stuff Im talking about dont matter. For me as a professional it was important and game changing.

The way I feel about the hardware/software debate is that if you like todays music then go with software because 75% of it is probably made that way. If your more a fan of 90's hip hop and older music go with hardware. I don't like the sound of todays music at all, but every now and then I do hear a song that I like, and after researching, I find that the producer used hardware like an mpc to make it. A lot of producers that became successful using hardware are now selling the gear to go software, and I bet in a year they'll be back to their hardware. You get what you pay for, there's a reason software is cheaper.

The way I feel about the hardware/software debate is that if you like todays music then go with software because 75% of it is probably made that way. If your more a fan of 90's hip hop and older music go with hardware. I don't like the sound of todays music at all, but every now and then I do hear a song that I like, and after researching, I find that the producer used hardware like an mpc to make it. A lot of producers that became successful using hardware are now selling the gear to go software, and I bet in a year they'll be back to their hardware. You get what you pay for, there's a reason software is cheaper.

Do u really believe this shit? I hate the music out now and I use both and get the same results with both and I use hardware of that era. Don't spread non sense someone might believe it

You should really check out what it does, its not so much a controller, its a integrated groove workstation. MPD, Korg Pad Kontrol, Trigger finger, those are controllers. Maschine is the next level of what a groove box/Beat Machine should be in 2010.

excellent point. I've converted about 2 friends of mines into using Maschines and they havent looked back either. One of them was a diehard MPD/REason user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back